Author Topic: WW1 arena = Dr1 arena?  (Read 3360 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: WW1 arena = Dr1 arena?
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2010, 02:57:18 PM »
They are hanging out with the AvA (insert AvA modification) guys  :lol

Something wrong with "AvA guys" toots?
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2010, 03:25:38 PM »
I still wonder why folks come to a WWII game wanting to play WWI.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2010, 03:42:08 PM »
Something wrong with "AvA guys" toots?

Other than that they change everything so they can have an arena for 2 or 3 weeks and then bail, nop.  Same with WWI.  The WTG HT and Thank you HT and I waited all my life for this, this is the best thing ever, bla bla bla bla.  Where are those guys now?  I am sure they are not there because of the DR1.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline onerka

• Zinc Member
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2010, 04:04:07 PM »
Shuffler...et al.

Guessing it is fun for some to use the needle a little, most of us have done that in some thread or another.  We have our own "Mr. Trouble" who does posts now and again.

Don't know why we are sometimes hooked and repeat ourselves or argue when folks are simply putting bait on the bottom.  But, here goes...

Not that it will make any difference saying this; there are a lot of people flying WWII flight sims as a default situation since there is no existing well-developed WWI flight sim, when a WWI sim is where they really want to fly.

The AH folks developed the best, most diverse and well thought out, WWI flight sim in my experience some 12 or 13 years ago.  They quickly sold that business to another company and the sim they started digressed with each "downdate" to the point it is less developed today than it was when it was sold.  There is no one in that arena.  Not because WWI is not interesting...the sim is simply stale.

So...why not hope the people at AH might once again be interested in that WWI time frame and work on another arena for people who like the planes of that period.  It is pretty narrow, perhaps selfish (?), of you to suggest only your interest has merit, and maybe even a little degrading to some of us who dwell so low on the food chain that we still like these planes.  Alas, there we are.

There is room for a WWI arena and there is a potential upside of additional income from a WWI arena.  I can't imagine this ultra simple arena has caused anyone flying in the WWII arenas to leave  AH.  Who knows, if there was enough upside there could even be more resources for development of all the arenas...there might even be more revenue, what a concept.

Oh well, knowing full well you are just leaving bait on the bottom...hope I did not get the hook, but suspect I did.

Take care and enjoy your WWII sim.  We absolutely do not begrudge you that...nor are we whining for updates and etc. for the WWI arena.  It will happen if it is warranted.  We hope it does, but if not, we will keep looking.

And yes, I did subscribe two months ago specifically for the WWI arena.  I can fly decent WWII sims in a number of places, but WWI has the best chance with the folks at AH, so we will stick around and see how it plays out.

One

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2010, 04:21:44 PM »
Good post Onerka. Not everyone that enjoys flight sims wants to fly WWII. There are lots of positive things that will come out of the
WWI arena. The new damage model is second to none. Parts fly off, animations, the FM changes with damage, and so forth will be
added to the WWII arenas. I think Big Jim summed it up pretty good in an earlier post.

I remember when DoA was being done by Hitech and Pyro and there was PLENTY of interest in WWI then, it never died till IEN killed it with their bogus FM.  All The WWI arena needs is a few more planes (DVa, SE5a, Newport 17, Spad VII, and XIII) for starters along with a couple of Bomber types and some strat targets and wala plenty of guys back in WWI. 

I wanted WWI and will still go in there to fly from time to time but more stuff is needed to make it work, most of the RoF guys are off-line commando's wanting to fly "missions" and fight only AI, but some WILL come for the dogfights, I own both games and I prefer HTC's version of WWI.

I think some of the guys got bored and the limited plane set has hurt too, but if they use the old DoA format I think the arena would draw alot of guys.

BigJim

I left a post in the wishlist forum suggesting what the next four planes should be. Allot of folks agreed on the selection and their was another good suggestion by the4fork
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,287693.0.html

If you have a suggestion for what planes they should add, leave a post.

<S>
Mano
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Kung Fu

• Zinc Member
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2010, 02:51:42 AM »
+S+ One and Mano!  Having a big passion for all things aviation (flight sims are a very fun diversion), I'm happy to see we have an online sim available that has good support and constant development.   I'm interested to see what HTC will do to the WWI arena. They are off to a great start.  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 02:54:24 AM by Kung Fu »
  Jagdgeschwader 11

"Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning."

Offline gon4beer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2010, 01:32:21 PM »
 I know that "what they said" is simple,but..WHAT THEY SAID! one,mano and kungfu may as well speak for me too. Gonfer. :airplane:

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2010, 04:25:39 PM »
It also can give the majority of "average" and "less than average" players an opportunity to have fun, a feeling of "win" or having accomplished their mission even if they don't stand any chance in dogfighting. In the LW AM, resupplying fields, manning guns, driving tanks, flying buffs & goons, and yes: participating in that capture thing, can give many players a way to have fun that would quickly be gone out of sheer frustration if it was about "pure" furballing only.

Honestly, this is a MAJOR issue that is often overlooked by the skilled players. I played for maybe 5 years before realizing I'd maxed out, that I just wasn't going to get any better. During my essentially endless learning curve there were definitely times that I'd give up on the AtA I loved just because I needed to do something I felt I could do RIGHT. Without those extra successful activities it just gets too discouraging for the middle and lower echelons.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2010, 05:14:34 PM »
Shuffler...et al.

Guessing it is fun for some to use the needle a little, most of us have done that in some thread or another.  We have our own "Mr. Trouble" who does posts now and again.

Don't know why we are sometimes hooked and repeat ourselves or argue when folks are simply putting bait on the bottom.  But, here goes...

Not that it will make any difference saying this; there are a lot of people flying WWII flight sims as a default situation since there is no existing well-developed WWI flight sim, when a WWI sim is where they really want to fly.

I quit reading here.... same old blah.  Don't try to change this game. Go support a WWI game. There are not many as no one supports them.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2010, 06:31:05 PM »
Was just over in the RoF English forums. RoF as it stands cannot support more than 16 aircraft types per server. Someone is putting up 32 types available on his server which is causing out of memory errors for the players. At least HiTech has the ability to present large numbers of aircraft and AI objects to his subscribers over the other companys focus on eyecandy first as their selling point.

Four more aricraft types and the beginings of something more than a perpetual lawn mowing furball and players will come back to the WWI Arena. Roads that host artillery battreries that can be moved like controlling a CV to hit enemy airfeilds. Ballons to fire control the batteries from. Supply trains, trucks and depots intergal to winning the map that can be destroyed. Allow vulching at airfeilds and closing them down with artillery and bombs. Manned machingun positions to defend feilds and other objects along with being able to destroy the auto ack.

Give players a way to hurt the other guy without having to be an uber ace fighter pilot and more players will play knowing that they can be shot down anyway. At least they can break a few strat toys to inconvienience the uber stick jock before he finds and kills them. Or they can vulch him, or artillery him, or take his whole map away and win the war from him. Aircombat in WWI developed out of a need to spot the enemy's formations and deployments then defend the spotting plane so it could get the intel home.

Both sides relyed on the train to move supplies within strategic distance of the fronts to keep the war going. The fronts developed in response to rail line access. Kill a supply train or its supply yards and there was a direct trickle down effect on the war at the front. Artillery was the primary agent of massed delivery of destruction at the front with almost a dozen named styles and tactics of barrage. The early tanks did not have as much of an impact on the war as artillery did. But, if the war had lasted into 1919 they would have made trenches obsolete.

Flying around in cricles mowing grass and shooting at mostly Dr1 is boring after about 15 minutes. I've been playing these games since AW in the late 80's. Even I know the current state of the WWI Arena is boring.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2010, 08:04:09 PM »
agreed bustr.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2010, 09:06:24 PM »
Don't try to change this game. Go support a WWI game.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."  Not a slam shuff, just something to think about.

Keep working it HTC.  You have something very special on your hands in the first world war arena.  

Yeager  :pray
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 09:22:13 PM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2010, 09:39:41 PM »
I quit reading here.... same old blah.  Don't try to change this game. Go support a WWI game. There are not many as no one supports them.

There also is nothing new in your attitude toward WWI, you have been opposed to it from the first so why I wonder do you bother to come to a thread like this and make the comments you do????

I suspect it is because you KNOW there is an interest in WWI and you are still afraid that somehow YOU will lose something if some time is given to WWI developement.  NO one is trying to change WWII, we just like the addition of WWI and want to see more developement of it.

Please stop trying to divide the community, I am sure we can all support both WWI and WWII without hassels if some of you would just take a deep breath and give things a chance.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2010, 12:16:30 PM »
I quit reading here.... same old blah. 

Strange.  I had the same reaction to your post.

:rolleyes:,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2010, 01:28:59 PM »
So there are like 3 pilots actually in the WW1 arena.  Why don't the 3 of you just agree to fly something different? :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!