Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 5825 times)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Collisions
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2010, 11:29:09 AM »
So on your end you barely nicked them, and on their end they flew through your cockpit.  What you see is what you get.
What  he said.   Some just can't grasp the concept that we all fly to our own little slice of AH reality.
See Rule #4

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2010, 12:06:49 PM »
TY for the link.

If I remember well, in HO with no fire from both planes and collision, I never
died if my plane has alt advantage.

Why?   :O

Always lucky?

I don't remember well?

Latencies apart there is something else?
 :salute

There are no "rules" which say plane on top will always win.
It is always done on a case by case basis, which part of which plane came in contact with what.
So if your winning by being above, it may be as simple as parts of the bottom of your plane are impacting the cockpit of the other plane, decapitating the pilot.

Only you can cause or prevent collision by how close you fly.

Also "losing" is most often going to involve guns damage along with collision damage in a nose to nose situation.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2010, 12:43:47 PM »
There are no "rules" which say plane on top will always win.
It is always done on a case by case basis, which part of which plane came in contact with what.
So if your winning by being above, it may be as simple as parts of the bottom of your plane are impacting the cockpit of the other plane, decapitating the pilot.

Only you can cause or prevent collision by how close you fly.

Also "losing" is most often going to involve guns damage along with collision damage in a nose to nose situation.

The only sure rule of collision is that If i am involved I am the one who dies.

Because if it were treated the same it opens the game up to massive exploits.

how can it be exploited, please do explain.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2010, 12:45:32 PM »
Wow: It's been a while for this one.

HiTech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2010, 12:51:35 PM »
how can it be exploited, please do explain.

Very easy...

In the current model, if you evade the enemy "ram" attempt on your screen, you are fine. What you see is what you get.

Now with "both take damage" you can clearly evade the enemy trying to ram you...and you still will get collision damage.
Suddenly it will get really easy to ram, and often almost impossible to evade one.

That's most likely you perception, because you often simply won't notice a collision that did only happen on your enemy's screen (and thus only him taking damage)

It still the simple question I asked earlier... should the P-47 in the picture I provided take damage from that "collision"?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:54:14 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2010, 01:35:25 PM »

You just posted a screen shot in the o'club that proves otherwise a couple days ago.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2010, 01:50:11 PM »
The bottom line is, as it is currently done...

If you hit your opponent you take damage.

If you do not hit your opponent you will not take damage.

Why would you want anything other than that?
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2010, 02:33:47 PM »

Who's fault is it that you collide all the time?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2010, 07:57:53 PM »
You just posted a screen shot in the o'club that proves otherwise a couple days ago.

naw i died first in that one, and i was the one who tried to evade while avoiding somebody else.

Very easy...

In the current model, if you evade the enemy "ram" attempt on your screen, you are fine. What you see is what you get.

Now with "both take damage" you can clearly evade the enemy trying to ram you...and you still will get collision damage.
Suddenly it will get really easy to ram, and often almost impossible to evade one.

That's most likely you perception, because you often simply won't notice a collision that did only happen on your enemy's screen (and thus only him taking damage)

It still the simple question I asked earlier... should the P-47 in the picture I provided take damage from that "collision"?

then why do i get killed when i evade somebody and still die.  this is where it doesnt make sense, to see somebody pass by or see that i am not even close to his guns and still die.
sorry, but you ever been killed by a fiter's tail gunner?  I have been many times.  It is the same thing but you want different rules and I dont think it should be.

-I live if I evade an airplane but he dies, because his puter said he crashed.
-I died when I know he had no gun solution on me, but his computer says it did.

both are treated different but they are really the same thing.

semp

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2010, 08:10:53 PM »
then why do i get killed when i evade somebody and still die.  this is where it doesnt make sense, to see somebody pass by or see that i am not even close to his guns and still die.

If you evade his plane, there is no collision on your screen. No collision on your screen = no damage to you, regardless if there was a collision on your enemy's screen. (XY has collided with you)
If you take damage, you simply have been shot. And again: You can't see what's happenign on HIS screen, so you can't say he never had a gun solution.
You really have to accept that there a 2 "realities". And the way the game is handling them regarding gun hits & collisions is the only way possible. They are NOT the same thing.

You should thoroughly think of all the consequences happening if you would change anything.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 08:12:34 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2010, 08:32:31 PM »

That will continue until you change your evil HO-ing ways.   :neener:
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2010, 02:56:07 AM »

That will continue until you change your evil HO-ing ways.   :neener:

lol i actually made that comment as a joke.  :devil.   

semp

Offline Avanti

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2010, 04:54:29 AM »
+1000000000000000
DOOOOOO ITTTTTT HTC!!!!

last time I was in a car crash I believe both parties had a large bill to pay

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2010, 05:42:12 AM »
The system is fine the way it is, sure sometimes there are questionable outcomes but in the end it's fair. As a buff pilot I would hate to think of the fact that both parties take damage even though a collision didn't happen on my screen. Do you honestly realize how many times pilots kill themselves by screwing up their dive and colliding with my tail on their screens? I can't count the times I've seen a fighter come screaming in and pass just under may tail only to have the collision message pop up a second later with them falling to earth missing (insert random part here).

It would really infuriate me if a poor attack led to me losing a plane because we "both have to take damage" even though the other guy never touched me on my screen. Not only that but I could see some major exploitation being used with this.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2010, 08:12:36 AM »
then why do i get killed when i evade somebody and still die.  this is where it doesnt make sense, to see somebody pass by or see that i am not even close to his guns and still die.
sorry, but you ever been killed by a fiter's tail gunner?  I have been many times.  It is the same thing but you want different rules and I dont think it should be.

this is also explained fully on the trainers lag page. you did read all of it right?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli