Author Topic: Stopped by WWI arena  (Read 5503 times)

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
Re: Stopped by WWI arena
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2010, 08:38:08 PM »
Hello again Wmaker, thought you'd be out there on my six somewhere  :salute

Tusk, I have absolutely nothing personal against you. None. But if you keep insisting that a moment that yaws the aircrafts nose downwards during a sustained turn somehow makes it turn better, I will keep correcting you so that others here wouldn't errorously start thinking that way aswell and think that herefore there's something with AH's Camel. I haven't even said that there couldn't be anything wrong with it. I merely said the gyroscopic precession isn't making it turn better or worse to any direction in a sustained turn.

I'm well aware of your blind spot with this issue but I don't see how anyone could follow that earlier thread to the end and not arrive at the same conclusions.

Heh. On the contrary. I don't see how you can arrive into any different conclusions than mine but I'm not gonna start debating with you about it since the discussion is already had. I just suggest that you and anyone else that has any doubts reads that thread again.

Do you understand that the gyroscopic effect causes a yaw to the right when you pull the stick back

On this part I agree. This is what the gyroscopic precession causes. And it does it in the game already. Again, how would such a moment that causes that motion make an aircraft turn with a tighter radius? The force is there yes, but it does nothing to turn the aircraft any tighter. Wings carry the aircraft through the turn. The slowest speed you can fly that turn at is determined with the lift of your aircraft at that condition/close to it. All these forces are changing as you are settiling into the turn and become constant as the constant turn radius/speed is achieved.

Is it any suprise that an additional force in the yaw axis increases the rate of turn?

Look above. Such a force can't cause the aircraft to turn any thighter. It can however cause it to depart directionally. When the speeds too low for the "lift" of the fuselage to resis the gyroscopic moment. This happens already in AH for example in top of a slow ellipse loop where the momentarily very small turn radius increases the gyroscopic moment while the aircraft is at very slow speed. Again those things it does.

Modern aerobatic pilots use gyroscopic precession created just from their props to perform some amazing 'outside the flight envelope' reversals and tumbles;

They certainly do and it is very intertaining to watch such performances. But there the departure has already occurred. The aircraft really dropping more than flying at that state. Yes, some form of control can be maintained but the aircraft in those situation isn't really flying until sufficient airspeed is reached again to do so. Has absolutely nothing to with a turning contest where two aircraft are turning at their sowest possible turn speed to get the radius of the turn as small as possible. That is a steady state where all the forces involved are in equilibrium.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:50:47 PM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2010, 08:42:15 PM »
Tusk,

Again, I want to see what you mean by this "gyroscopic turn". Please post .ahf file of it.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2010, 11:53:26 PM »
Thanks Wmaker, glad to see it's not personal (I was beginning to think it was lol)  :)

This is a little like those alien abduction things you hear about; those that 'have been abducted' are rarely believed, and usually seen as delusional. But in a universe of infinite possibilities the man who says something is impossible will always have that nagging doubt.... whereas the man who has been probed walks away with a grim certainty (and a slightly odd gait). You say you want proof, well we already travelled a long way down that road but you are a hard man to convince. I think with UFO's the standard response to hard photographic evidence is 'lens flare' or 'hoax' or 'Hi Tech experimental aircraft' (lol  I'm on fire).

When I discovered that the AH Dr1 could (partially) execute a gyro assisted turn, I posted that information. Someone said that the Dr1 drivers had known all along but were enjoying the show too much to say anything. Certainly nobody dismissed the information openly. I would therefore like to know what others think regarding this issue. What sort of times are people getting in the turns? Better still, since the Dr1 can't hold a sustained gyro turn, let's take a look at a simple reversal. How fast can you reverse 180 degrees, what speeds? Try it along an airfield perimeter hedge, co-ordinated turns and gyro turns. I'll chip in when I see some data.

..... and there are aliens, I tell you  :old:

"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline dog1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2010, 09:00:44 AM »
Get the fight at 6k and above....the Camule starts to gain the advantage over Dr1.Them fat wings really start working up there... Right Mr Ehre?  ;) :salute :salute :banana
in game ID  WormZ1La

Offline meandog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2010, 12:11:34 PM »
Crap...dun forgot what the devil this argument was even about now... :x All I know (at the risk of sounding full of myself) is I can give even the best DR1 pilots fits with a camel. Now if I ever get sucked to the deck it just makes it that much harder and the favor goes to the DR1 hands down. Not sayig the Dr1 will win all the time but is favorable to. I have been a DR1 stik from the beginning and just started teh camel this week.

We have beat this horse to death and started on another horse. If ya not an experienced stik any plane is gonna be hard at the start. So the game might not be perfectly like real life. The same problem is in the MA as well with some peaple and some planes.

My advice is get in what you want to fly and become the best in it. Whether is be the so called best plane in the arena or the worst, it takes a good pilot to make whatever bird perform like the best. I in no way am stating that I am the best. I had to learn just like the rest of them. I was dieing in the DR1 plenty till I learned from better pilots. It's just a process that everyone has got to take.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2010, 01:40:05 PM »
Lol dog you are right.  

My original beef with the Dr1 was the Tie fighter behavior that the anti gravity generator up front produced.  Not saying it is wrong.  Hell it might be spot on for all I know.

The one thing where I believe I actually have some validity is on the almost non existent structural failure displayed by the Dr1 when compared to the other three rides.  The Camel and F2B are easy to break.  The D7 less so but still breakable.  The Dr1 OTOH is built like a rock.  If it failed at anywhere near a comparable rate of even the D7 then the Dr1 weenies might back off a bit on the more Star Warsy maneuvers and make the fighting a bit more believable.  To me at least.

With regards to the altitude: No one appears even remotely interested in grabbing these rides up to 10+k for some realistic Camel vs Dr1 beatdowns.  People want their quick fix so everyone grabs Dr1s and goes rolling around in the trees.  Maybe....
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline meandog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2010, 01:49:26 PM »
YEAGER.....I FULLY AGREE WITH THAT WHOLE POST  :salute

Offline Yellow39

• Zinc Member
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2010, 05:21:59 PM »
Last night we fought Worm in a Camel at different altitudes several times  , both pilots known each other very well and are evenly matched , we did engage in dogfights several times while testing maneuvers and chatting on private channel at the end of each fight . The result was the higher we went the better chance for success for the Camel ... at 6k high the Dr1 becomes heavier and difficult to maneuver. The Dr1 outclimb the Camel from 0 to 6k (tested w 50% gas , from take off to 6k ) but the camel seems to accelerate and keep energy a little better once engaged... at least I was having a hard time to keep up with him .

Ehre