Author Topic: solution for afghan "road-side bombs"?  (Read 1308 times)

Offline 63tb

• Copper Member
solution for afghan "road-side bombs"?
« on: June 01, 2010, 01:52:31 PM »
I was watching 60 Minutes and they had a segment on troops that go out looking for/clearing road-side bombs, (I'm not sure why they call them that because in the segment all the bombs were in the road to blow up under vehicles). All of the roads were loose dirt and rock so it was very hard for them to see if bombs were planted. Usually all they can spot are the trip wires.

Anyway later on I was watching Cool Hand Luke and there is a part where a truck sprays tar on the road.

That got me thinking what if the US troops in the 60 Minutes segment had a truck similar to that, but filled with the same white paint used on highway lines? They would have a spray system that would cover the roads side-to-side, maybe with some additive that would flash dry it. In a sense it would cover the dirt roads in a solid membrane, especially after several passes.

Wouldn't that make it very easy for the troops to monitor and make it very difficult for the Taliban to plant the bombs? They might also add something to the paint that shows up under special lighting that would show if the serface had been disturbed.

63tb

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
Re: solution for afghan "road-side bombs"?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 01:58:05 PM »
Sounds expensive.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 02:10:55 PM »
then they just plant the explossives in a truck at the side of the road...or drill a small hole under the road and slide them in.

these freaks addapt.  lest we forget..they dropped the WTC towers, and part of the Pentagon...dropped four heavy commercial jets...and killed THREE THOUSAND PEOPLE...and their only tool of choice to do all that...was a few carpet knives.

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 03:06:36 PM »
Every time you do something like that, though, the little $%##$@#$# go and find some other sneaky place to put it.
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the reaper no more fear the Lancers!
http://www.68thlightninglancers.net

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 04:30:36 PM »
Next they would carry rust-oleum black spray paint to repaint the road (im guessing black)
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 05:08:44 PM »
I was watching 60 Minutes and they had a segment on troops that go out looking for/clearing road-side bombs, (I'm not sure why they call them that because in the segment all the bombs were in the road to blow up under vehicles). All of the roads were loose dirt and rock so it was very hard for them to see if bombs were planted. Usually all they can spot are the trip wires.

Anyway later on I was watching Cool Hand Luke and there is a part where a truck sprays tar on the road.

That got me thinking what if the US troops in the 60 Minutes segment had a truck similar to that, but filled with the same white paint used on highway lines? They would have a spray system that would cover the roads side-to-side, maybe with some additive that would flash dry it. In a sense it would cover the dirt roads in a solid membrane, especially after several passes.

Wouldn't that make it very easy for the troops to monitor and make it very difficult for the Taliban to plant the bombs? They might also add something to the paint that shows up under special lighting that would show if the serface had been disturbed.

63tb

Why not just paint all the talibs neon, making them easier to spot?
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 05:53:29 PM »
Why not just paint all the talibs neon, making them easier to spot?

But you've got to find them first.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/¯________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 07:51:19 AM »
The solution is here:

:bolt:
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 08:06:40 AM »
The solution is here:
(Image removed from quote.)

:bolt:
Ive seen pictures of vechicles flipped that are bigger then those.

There arent just IEDs used for vechicles anymore, they are also planting dismount IEDs to kill the soldiers walking in front of the vechicles.

I dont know about the other branchs but the Army Infantry has their own way of dealing with IEDs. Later today I will show you a clip of my units last deployment.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 08:18:26 AM »
Most IED's are cellphone based right? With the unlimited resources at the US governments hands you would think they could make something to scramble the call within range of the vehicle. No call gets in no bomb goes off. Or just give all the terrorists a free Verizon plan , I cant get service half the time with them anyway.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 08:36:58 AM »
hmm I can't say anything I want to say. Scores so far is US 4 IED 0 in last 10 months for my PLT.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Lepape2

• Nickel Member
      • YouTube musician/video channel
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »
Most IED's are cellphone based right? With the unlimited resources at the US governments hands you would think they could make something to scramble the call within range of the vehicle. No call gets in no bomb goes off.

Well, in this case they can still adapt. They could rig the explosive in a way the fuse is detonated the moment it loses contact with the detonator due to scrambling interferences. And US resources AREN'T unlimited.

These guys are pretty dumb, but they are still smart.
Jug Movie 1 - Hunt or Prey
Jug Movie 2 - The Jug's Tail

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »
Most IED's are cellphone based right? With the unlimited resources at the US governments hands you would think they could make something to scramble the call within range of the vehicle. No call gets in no bomb goes off. Or just give all the terrorists a free Verizon plan , I cant get service half the time with them anyway.

Sunfan they actually have out a device that blocks the cell signals, some schools are using them to eliminate kids using them in classes, i don't see why the Military couldn't design a more powerful one that blocks a larger radius then the ones they use in schools

http://www.phonedog.com/2009/03/10/washington-school-purchases-cell-phone-jammer-to-thwart-texting-teens/
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 12:01:45 PM »
EMPs would fix anything electronic...and I've seen a research article that says EMPs can be directed, if they can be limited in scope as well...it would force the buggers to go back to using matches and a fuse.

Then let these guys finish the job:
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 12:34:41 PM »
Sunfan they actually have out a device that blocks the cell signals, some schools are using them to eliminate kids using them in classes, i don't see why the Military couldn't design a more powerful one that blocks a larger radius then the ones they use in schools

http://www.phonedog.com/2009/03/10/washington-school-purchases-cell-phone-jammer-to-thwart-texting-teens/

Problem is can those hostile signals be scrambled without impacting legitimate civilian and military communications?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.