Author Topic: This week in the AvA: Okinawa 1945 - Operation Iceberg  (Read 2399 times)

Offline DktrEvil

• Copper Member
      • TheFunZone.com
Re: This week in the AvA: Okinawa 1945 - Operation Iceberg
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2010, 06:01:05 PM »
I wanted to clarify my previous comments concerning ZERO Icons:

First, I feel it would be useful only when you have Historical planesets (which I tend to fly as much as I can) or in H2H FFA.

Second There is a new setting in AHII that allows you to set the "FullIconRange" from 24000 to 1.  I set mine to 1 so nobody sees the extra icon information. This will explain why you might see this information at different distances in different arenas

I agree that numbers in any particular arena are not indicative of anything. Different strokes for different folks. I applaud HiTech for the variety offered to everyone.  I personally do not like arenas stuffed to the gills with "spray and pray" types in only 2 or three different types of planes.

I prefer the smaller "Historical" or "Reality" based arenas where the radar, ammo and planesets are limited. I used to fly the CT reguarly and had some good times there.  I have since gone to Free Multiplayer only, which are limited to only 8 peoples at a time and I have have a great time there.  Once again I applaud HiTech for allowing people this option.

I am presently running an "Allied versus Axis" arena with the settings as real as I can get (no outside view, stall limiter off, limited radar ranges and altitudes and limited fuel and ammo, bases only flash for vehicles and boats , etc).  One of the requests I have, is the ability as a CM to turn Icons on or off or shorten their range either for friendly or enemy or both.  I flew "Scenerios" when I was in WB (long ago) which had no icons or very short icons and it was A LOT of fun and very enlightening.

I hope AHII will eventually allow CM's the ability to change Icon settings and will also someday set up an arena that is based on more Historical settings like no outside views, limited radar, short or no icon ranges, limited ammo, no flashing bases for fighters and bombers etc. Not everyone would fly this arena but those that did would enjoy it very much.

I miss this type of arena and would return to being a paying customer if one were available.

P.S. I disagree that MA flyers have better SA than CT flyers. I would propose that MA flyers on average have worse SA than CT flyers.  There are a lot more inexperienced flyers in MA than there were in the CT.  MA flyers are more of the instant gratification mindset and less of SA, Strategy or Realistic mindset, this explains the reason the CT had smaller numbers. To MA'ers it is merely a game of kill or get killed as fast as you can.

An old no icon, realistic settings rant of mine from 2005
+Dr Evil's Death Squadron+

Let this be a lesson to you all that this organization will not tolerate .......... F-a-i-l-u-r-e!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2010, 10:16:39 PM »
EDIT: I am going to take the advice of a Friend, and make an effort to spend some time in there as TC over the weekend

hopefully I will see some of you online  :salute

Most excellent diggit.

TC, as someone here said already, no icons are an acquired taste.  But so are beer and whiskey.  All of us oldtimers miss the CT and its dynamics, but the ugly truth is that the player base has changed so much that we'll never be able to gather that type of crowd again.  Having flown with no icons for a few months now, I'll bet that you and I both would have thought that the old CT would have been even better had the icons been turned off.

Don't know how much opportunity I'll have to get in there this weekend, but I do hope to see you.

- oldman

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2010, 10:47:13 PM »
no worries Nr_RaVeN , I was a bit harsh to you and DktrEvil, myself.... my apologies for being that way

am done with this thread......

sent some of you a PM that replyed to this thread

:salute
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2010, 09:30:04 PM »
TC,

The "issues" the CT had at the end (and are now prevalent in the AvA) are in no way linked to icons on or off. All of the stuff that made the CT where we wanted to be is simply largely nonexistent in the AvA at this time. How it evolves will depend on the squads that call it home. If they continue to act as they have then by and large the arena will continue to stagnate IMO...if they understand that they need to maintain some measure of restraint then it might grow...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 04:15:44 AM »
Humble,

I don't know what the squads have done to hurt the current AvA.   Having flown both CT and consistently flown in the AvA, the only problem that I see, is that there are rarely large enough numbers to do anything other than dogfight.  The dogfights in the AvA are by far more intense than in any other arena.  This was true even before no icons.  The reason being, the fields are close together and a fight is readily available if you have two participants, and no one is trying to hold on or gather their precious perk points.

Tonight I chose to fly against a squad that I respect very much.  I knew these guys were good and would protect each other.  We were equally balanced on sides, and our choices in planes was equally matched.  What occurred was a good ole fashion take you out behind the shed wuppin.  I tried to give my countrymen the heads up that we needed to work as a unit and utilize better comm's.  Only one out 5 countrymen bothered to tune to vox.  The other pilot and I flew winged until I had to go to work, and adjusted our tactics to somewhat gain an advantage.  By then the squad split to relieve the lopsided pounding our country was getting (also, possibly to have more of a challenge).

I am not saying that all squads need to split up to accomodate someone else's opinion of fair, just the opposite squads would flock to the arena more often if they had more of a challenge (and not only in dogfights).  The whole idea of historical arena to me implies historical tactics.  So, I would suggest that when you visit the arena, you dust off your microphone, tune to Channel 1 and be a part of the action.  Too many times folks just want to do their thing and act as if the other green dots were just lost misguided souls keeping the red dots busy while they poke around for weaknesses in the setup to exploit.  To each his own but without squads the arena is a dismal place.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 02:17:28 PM »
Gee... all this rancor about icons.

How come no one mentioned how pretty the new Okinawa map looks?  No more "converted terrain" Lego(TM) coastlines.  Nice rice paddies.  Nice coral reefs offshore.  <S> to whomever did that conversion.

PS- I like no icons.  Completely changes everything.

Offline Shooter503

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 11:03:27 PM »
recenley taken an interest in Bombing does bombing strats have any effect on the overall game?
RRaine
JG11 Sonderstaffel "White 11" 2008-2011
Rouge
412th  FNVG 2017-

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 12:22:30 AM »
any chance in this setup running another week?.........  I got to log in but did not see but 1 other person in there....

and noone wanted to go there on TT day/night  :-/ ......... oh well here's to hoping  .........
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 02:47:18 AM »
recenley taken an interest in Bombing does bombing strats have any effect on the overall game?

Shooter,

Yes, bombing strats does have an effect on gameplay.  Until, we see numbers large enough  :pray to sustain base capture interests that do not diminish the enemy contact that most players seek, you probably won't see any country advances due to that sort of effort in the AvA.

One large note:  AvA bomb sight calibration is old school.  This is much more challenging and requires a recalibration when you select different targets.  If you are up for a challenge, then you are in for a nice bump in difficulty in the AvA.

Look here for the effect that destruction of strats have:  (strategic targets section tells how much it takes to destroy and its effect)

http://www.hitechcreations.com/ahhelp/map.html#ss

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 07:10:09 AM »
any chance in this setup running another week?.........  I got to log in but did not see but 1 other person in there....

and noone wanted to go there on TT day/night  :-/ ......... oh well here's to hoping  .........

Hmm, at one point we had like 25 or so in the arena on Tuesday night.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2010, 07:18:54 AM »

and 25 in the AvA generates better fights than 800 in TT. I'm not exaggerating.

My squad CO commented a few days ago as we flew for 30 minutes looking for a fight in an arena with 300 people in it "its easier to find a find in the AvA with 9 people in it than one with 300"

He wasn't joking either.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2010, 09:56:46 AM »

was in another thread, jimson.......... I had asked if anyone was going to be flying in there on Tuesday night  and some of the responses was it wasn't good on TT because of game connection issues or vx issues or something..... so I didn't bother to even fire up the game after I saw the replies to my post.........

edit: was this thread ---> http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,290570.0.html

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:00:25 AM by TequilaChaser »

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2010, 10:32:06 AM »
was in another thread, jimson.......... I had asked if anyone was going to be flying in there on Tuesday night  and some of the responses was it wasn't good on TT because of game connection issues or vx issues or something..... so I didn't bother to even fire up the game after I saw the replies to my post.........

edit: was this thread ---> http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,290570.0.html

I remember that thread, most of them showed up to try it anyway. I didn't notice any issues, Did anyone else?

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2010, 10:34:23 AM »
the only issue i had was getting drilled(shot down) once to often from the guys in blue!!  :D