Author Topic: Satalite Internet users....  (Read 2140 times)

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
Satalite Internet users....
« on: June 10, 2010, 04:34:37 PM »
My question is if a player is using a SAT connection do they lag from our point of view.  Sat has a high speed download but uses dial up to upload.  That would make me think that the Sat user receives incoming packets much faster then they send them out.  Would this cause a warp or lag in the game? 
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
Re: Satalite Internet users....
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 04:46:25 PM »
Makes the person using it seem like a UFO and makes others very unhappy because it's hard to hit something that isn't really there. I am remembering this from a guy a year or two ago. Dunno if they've made it better since, but that pesky delay isn't nice for real time.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:59:38 PM »
Before we went with RF internet we had looked at Hughesnet and Wildblue.  Both of the companies stated that it'd take 1 to 1.5 seconds for the signal to get to the sat and back.  I imagine with a ping of 1000-1500ms that things would be VERY warpy indeed.
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 05:01:53 PM »
yeah well kinda "conveniant" that at least 4 guys from the same squad happen to have sat net now that didnt before and now are all but impossible to shoot down and bomb...

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 05:04:10 PM »
yeah well kinda "conveniant" that at least 4 guys from the same squad happen to have sat net now that didnt before and now are all but impossible to shoot down and bomb...

Probably not all that great on their end either I imagine.

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 05:07:08 PM »
well its in MW so not very populated but I will say that recently their scores would infer otherwise....    :headscratch:

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 05:13:40 PM »
well its in MW so not very populated but I will say that recently their scores would infer otherwise....    :headscratch:

I can't imagine someone switching to an inferior service just to gain some hokey advantage.  Then again, stranger things have happened.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »
My squad mate has a Sat. connection, and he warps from my point of view. Sometimes it's terrible other times barely noticeable but can't be helped really.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 05:18:19 PM »
Sometimes it's terrible other times barely noticeable but can't be helped really.

Whether they are visibly warping or not they are still horribly laggy.  You can usually tell if someone is on sat. due to the fact that when you shoot them they fly about 5 miles away before they blow up, and when you get shot by them they are aimed in the opposite direction.  The "can't really be helped" is laughable.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 05:18:26 PM »
My squad mate has a Sat. connection, and he warps from my point of view. Sometimes it's terrible other times barely noticeable but can't be helped really.

If you're in a rural area (like myself) your options are extremely limited.  Kinda like duck tape...  It may not be the best way to go about it but hey, if it works, it works.  :D

EDIT:  RF is much better than sat by the way.  Outstanding ping, but bandwidth does suffer sometimes.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:20:09 PM by AAJagerX »

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 05:35:59 PM »
Probably not all that great on their end either I imagine.

That depends.  If the satellite user does whatever they can to minimize the ping the gameplay can be very smooth.  For me I see no warping and if I do it's one of two reasons: There is an overcast and thus blocking the signal OR the other user is warping so badly it is showing on my screen.  I rarely warp in the sense that most think of it (normally get 100-200yrd warps every few minutes) but from my end it is always smooth.  Satellite users are about 1-1.5seconds out of sync with the rest of the game thus get shot at odd angles or shoot people from odd angles.  I normally end up shooting people about 1.2 seconds (1200ms) before they see my nose getting in position, but I get shot when the enemy shoots where I was 1.2 seconds ago.  It makes fighting difficult because the low-ping user won't see a merge break until ~1.2 seconds after we broke thus causing collisions often.

Satellite will never be good for real-time gaming, but it can be "tamed" to a point that's it's bearable.  While high-ping is not good, it's the people who have other troubles you should be trying to convince to fix their connection.  A 1200ms ping with 1% packet loss is better then a 300ms ping with 95% packet loss.  I've seen many 100-300ms pings that had almost complete packet loss where as satellite I use has high ping with almost no packet loss and they are the ones I normally see getting told their warping is impossible to fight against.

Now if everyone were to start complaining to the local cable companies in the laggers city/area maybe they'd consider extending coverage and thus stopping the lag.  I know here the amount of calls/e-mails that have been sent for extended coverage is finally slowly being answered. :)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 05:37:12 PM »
Anyone that can do sat can do just dial up as well.  For playability for the rest of the players that would be the better option.

That depends.  If the satellite user does whatever they can to minimize the ping the gameplay can be very smooth.  For me I see no warping and if I do it's one of two reasons: There is an overcast and thus blocking the signal OR the other user is warping so badly it is showing on my screen.  I rarely warp in the sense that most think of it (normally get 100-200yrd warps every few minutes) but from my end it is always smooth.  Satellite users are about 1-1.5seconds out of sync with the rest of the game thus get shot at odd angles or shoot people from odd angles.  I normally end up shooting people about 1.2 seconds (1200ms) before they see my nose getting in position, but I get shot when the enemy shoots where I was 1.2 seconds ago.  It makes fighting difficult because the low-ping user won't see a merge break until ~1.2 seconds after we broke thus causing collisions often.

Satellite will never be good for real-time gaming, but it can be "tamed" to a point that's it's bearable.  While high-ping is not good, it's the people who have other troubles you should be trying to convince to fix their connection.  A 1200ms ping with 1% packet loss is better then a 300ms ping with 95% packet loss.  I've seen many 100-300ms pings that had almost complete packet loss where as satellite I use has high ping with almost no packet loss and they are the ones I normally see getting told their warping is impossible to fight against.

Now if everyone were to start complaining to the local cable companies in the laggers city/area maybe they'd consider extending coverage and thus stopping the lag.  I know here the amount of calls/e-mails that have been sent for extended coverage is finally slowly being answered. :)

this lag explains why these players are nearly impossible to bomb in a moving GV, specially a tiger since they require a more direct hit.  This gives them a great advantage because they can learn to lead their shot because they know they always lag yet we have no clue they are lagging until it is to late....  Maybe i should try sat instead of my cable connection  LOL
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:41:01 PM by grumpy37 »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 05:41:58 PM »
Anyone that can do sat can do just dial up as well.  For playability for the rest of the players that would be the better option.

I was forced into sat. as my broadband option for @ 6months..

I ended up dropping $9.95 for a dial up account to fly on.

Use the Sat. to surf and d/l stuff and the dial-up to fly on.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »
I was forced into sat. as my broadband option for @ 6months..

I ended up dropping $9.95 for a dial up account to fly on.

Use the Sat. to surf and d/l stuff and the dial-up to fly on.

Im guessing it wouldnt be possible for HiTech to not allow sat users.....    :pray

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 05:44:56 PM »
The "can't really be helped" is laughable.

And your suggestion would be...?
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil