Author Topic: FSAA Screenshots for GrinBird (700+kb)  (Read 651 times)

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
FSAA Screenshots for GrinBird (700+kb)
« on: September 01, 2000, 01:04:00 AM »
Sorry for the big images, but I figured it was necessary to show them at their original size to demonstrate the differences properly.

System:
PIII600E
Asus CUBX Motherboard
256MB RAM
Voodoo 5 5500

Screenshots are from AH running 1024 mode in 32-bit color.

Each image is No FSAA, then 2xFSAA, then 4xFSAA.

As you can see from the frame rates, 4X isn't playable on my system.  I run in 2xFSAA with good results, but frame rate will drop to about 11FPS through black smoke.

SOB

[This message has been edited by SOB (edited 09-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by SOB (edited 09-01-2000).]
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2000, 05:33:00 AM »
Thank you SOB - I guess it's a "I'll pass, thank you" on FSAA thing. It looks good but with 11 fps off-line? Surely something is not right and the hype is not worth the effort.

I have exactly the same CPU/memory but run TNT2 Ultra with fps in high 40s. I could probably squeeze 800MHz out of my box but even that wouldn't make much difference on 11 fps .

------------------
-lynx-
13 Sqn RAF

Offline Hamish

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2000, 01:24:00 PM »
uhmm.. How is 11 fps unplayable? I've been flying for about 3 months on a system that hits 17 fps on a clear day, and 9-11 in furballs/clouds/smoke and it's still playable, or am i missing something? I never notice skipping of the screen (making it unplayable to me) till 3-4 fps.

Thx!

P.S. Man, the FSAA Looks beautiful don't it ? Sweet shots.

------------------
Hamish!

(On Leave)
<===<The ASSASSINS>===>

[This message has been edited by Hamish (edited 09-01-2000).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2000, 03:00:00 PM »
Wow. the 4X really does smooth off all those jagged lines on wing/prop/building edges!!

Some day <whistful sigh> I'll have it  

-Westy

aircat

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2000, 05:39:00 PM »
 Hamish,
you are most likely used to your slower frame rates.. when I first had my 233mmx it was fast and smooth for the games out there then after beta testing for Sierra I had a huge prob in getting frame rates in games but I learned to live with it and eventualy didnt see major jerkyness. my FPS was in the 3 to 12 area depending on surroundings. but get time to build a new computer and getting 45 FPS with low furballs with 25+ in area over a smoking large field (12 hangers + dumps and fuel smokin) I wonder how I lived with less FPS. every now and then I like to just watch the numbers when I look strait up to a blue sky, and see 180 - 200 FPS hehe. after 30 fps dont mean much (max human eye can see). gunnery comes way up too.

Offline GrinBird

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.aasvk.dk
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2000, 09:33:00 PM »
Thnx for the shots. I have been away on vacation, so I didnt see them untill now. The diference is quite impressive, especially from no FSAA to 2*FSAA. Maybe it would be best to use 2*FSAA for flying and use 4*FSAA for picking perfect screenshots via the filmviewer? - At least untill the CPUs and or the FSAA GPUs are getting a bit faster.

------------------
GrinBird

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2000, 10:22:00 PM »
I just can't wait until the Voodoo 5 6000 comes out.  4 Processors, 128MB RAM, ooohhhh!  Now, let's just hope it actually does come out  
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!