Author Topic: No World Cup for me...  (Read 1537 times)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
No World Cup for me...
« on: June 12, 2010, 07:27:24 AM »
Because of THIS stupid thing...

A vuvuzela, sometimes called a "lepatata" (its Setswana name) or a stadium horn, is a blowing horn, approximately one metre in length, commonly blown by fans at football matches in South Africa. They require some lip and lung strength to blow and emit a loud monotone like a foghorn or an elephant

It is quite simply the most annoying thing I have ever heard and gives me a headache.

Tried to watch S. Africa vs. Mexico yest. and just now tried watching Greece vs. S. Korea and it ain't gonna happen.

FIFA screwed the pooch when they opted to allow this in the 2010 World Cup and it is gonna cost them viewers.  
(me for one)

I was looking forward to watching the WC this year but if I have to listen to that blaring drone of a noise i'm "out".

Maybe next World Cup.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
Re: No World Cup for me...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 07:28:30 AM »
Lute, try muting your television, and listening to the commentary on an online radio (radio 5 for instance  ;))

Agree they are waaaaay annoying tho.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 07:35:30 AM »
It is quite simply the most annoying thing I have ever heard

Isnt it? keep hearing radio reports from SA, its all you can hear in the background. sounds like a massive cloud of horseflys.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 07:38:21 AM »
They have GOT to figure out a way to tone that down a tad.  If they tweaked the sound of it down just a tad, maybe by 1/3, it would be bearable.  You can't tell me a decent sound guy couldn't isolate that noise and reduce it.

I am Googlin' now looking to see who I can email and complain.  So far I am finding a large amount of people also complaining about it so hopefully someone at the networks will get smart and do something about it.

I can't imagine 3 weeks of that constant drone in the background.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
Yeah they put those at my teams football games and basketball games about the time I was finishing up and I snatched one out of a kids backpack on campus one day and stomped it in the ground. They are the most annoying plastic things ever produced.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 07:57:59 AM »
South African fans are quickly becoming despised around the world for blowing those damn things.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 08:15:02 AM »
They have GOT to figure out a way to tone that down a tad.  If they tweaked the sound of it down just a tad, maybe by 1/3, it would be bearable.  You can't tell me a decent sound guy couldn't isolate that noise and reduce it.

they already are (certainly bbc radio are) as much as they can. tricky to eliminate though, you've got thousands of sources at slightly different frequencies, plus their beats and harmonics. essentially you have a bunch of noise operating over most of the vocal range. engineer's nightmare.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 08:20:33 AM »
Lute, try muting your television, and listen to 'Yakity Sax' in the background. 

Fixed.

Actually, this might be a practical application for close captioning...
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 08:24:30 AM »
he he he Drone, I listen to my ipod instead and watch the football.....I can live without the commentary

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 09:30:52 AM »
Funny, 20 minutes ago, my wife was talking to me as I started the Argentina / Nigeria game, and she stopped and asked, "What is that horrible noise?"   :lol

mir
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 10:36:43 AM »
i was wondering what that horriable noise was, i got tired of hearing it so i changed channels
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 11:17:04 AM »
No mute button?

Anyone remember taking one of these to a match on a rainy Saturday afternoon?
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 04:27:06 PM »
Yes...they have to get rid of the noise. Gonna chase off the casual fans in a few days.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
No good can come of me replying in this thread.

Consider me skuzzified.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »
I remember watching the very first game of the cup and being like, "what the hell is that?"

Imagine being there.  :uhoh

Curious if its distracting to the players?
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)