Author Topic: BAD screen stuttering...becoming desperate :(  (Read 711 times)

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
BAD screen stuttering...becoming desperate :(
« on: December 07, 2000, 08:58:00 AM »
Screen stutter problem has been bothering me ever since I upgrated my computer to this configuration:

Motherboard:Abit BM6 i440BX-W977
Processor  :466Mhz Celeron overclocked to 525Mhz
Videocard  :Voodoo 3 3000
RAM        :128mb
Modem      :Telewell k56 flex (ISA-card)
Monitor    :Panasonic PanaSync S70   17"

At first it looked just an on-line problem because it was so pronounced there, but recently I've noticed it appears offline too but it isn't by far as distractive as it usually is online. It varies, sometimes it isn't *that* bad but usually it completely destroys my gunnery and makes my eyes hurt therefore makes it completely unplayable.

Here are some things listed about this problem hopefully helping to solve it:

-I've tried WarBirds in h2h with 3D graphics on and the stuttering is even worse than in AH but with 2D graphics it's simply gone. Both sims show good frame rates all the way (between 25-60...usually 30-40) so it has nothing to do with unability to process the graphics. I'm running WB with 1024*768. When running AH with 1280*1024 resolution suttering is much worse than with 1024*768 resolution. Other video options for AH are:
 16 bit, "use Z-buffer" unchecked and "disable triple buffering" checked. To make things trickier, for example
 Grand Prix Legends runs smoothly both off and online.

-I have all the latest drivers installed. Computer was updated about 11 months ago so that eliminates the possibility of new drives' possible bugs causing it since all essential drivers have been updated at least once.

-I've read about disabling connection dialogbox from the systray might help but for some reason even with the option displaying it unchecked, it shows!!! It won't go away no matter what I do. But there's a reason to believe it wouldn't help much anyway. We had a big local internet/gaming event here at Kerimäki, Finland. There was about 130 computers connected to each other using LAN and also to the internet through 2 megabyte "pipe". So the internet connection there had nothing to do with our modem, and because no modem there was no connection dialogbox either. And it STILL stuttered...it wasn't nearly as bad as it is with the modem but it was still visible.

If I could get this solved I'd prolly jump through the roof from exitement, so somebody, somebody make me do it PLEASE!!!  

P.S There aren't enough words to describe how frustrated I am and I know I'm a moron for not posting about this until now, so please don't remind me of it  

1Wmaker1
      Lentolaivue 34
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2000, 10:31:00 AM »
What are your IRQ assignments? Are you sharing any?

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2000, 11:05:00 AM »
Someone who knows better said that no IRQs shared here...I'll try to find out about the assignments...
Thanks for so quick reply!!!  

[This message has been edited by Wmaker (edited 12-07-2000).]
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2000, 11:58:00 AM »
Not sure if this will fix it, but have you defragmented your hard drive recently? That could help alleviate the problem a little bit.

Also, try it without the cpu overclocked. I recently overclocked mine and now the graphics are silky smooth anymore, but easily tolerable when fighting for me.

These are only suggestions though

Bane

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2000, 01:30:00 PM »
Also does that motherboard have the ATA 66 hard drive controller? If so are you using it? My Abit BE6 shares a PCI slot with my ATA66 controller. Took a while to figure out what would work well where. I also disabled both com ports in the bios so my other IRQ hungry devices would grab their own.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2000, 01:38:00 PM »
I would concentrate on getting the modem icon out of systray. This is a known stutter causer. It did it to me when I first went 3D in WB's. Where did you go to try to get rid of it?

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2000, 11:20:00 PM »
i use Zonealarm, and if i run it while flying AH the damn taskbar icon gives me stuttering too.  Sadly only way to disable the icon is disabling Zonealarm +(

AKSKurj

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2000, 09:27:00 AM »
Wmaker, send me email.  

ville.pitkanen@hut.fi

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Mars

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.screaminmeanies.com
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2000, 02:42:00 PM »
I also had a chop problem after i upgraded my vid card drivers and HBlair is right...The Modem icon in the taskbar is usually the problem AND i also found that running ICQ even on "Away" mode will do it too...Best bet is to leave only the explorer and systray on when playin AH  
"NO!!......NO!!!!..I WON'T eat it!!"
                    -Christopher Walken in "Mouse Hunt"-

Offline putz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2000, 09:02:00 PM »
man kill that icon on the taskbar thingy dude , and run a FULL anlysis of your memory , not that stupid windows test. that dam icon keeps winging your system for rates , as a matter of fact get rid of EVERYTHING on the taskbar and same some mems then also kill all the dumb background crap win98 runs in the backyard dude. and if you were one of them guys that fell for settin you own v'men in w98  reset it so windows controls it.