Author Topic: I SAY....PERK THE BIG BOMBERS!  (Read 4711 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
I SAY....PERK THE BIG BOMBERS!
« on: June 24, 2010, 08:20:50 AM »
Yes I know it takes away from the fun of the dedicated bomber dudes but you guys should have more than enough perks to keep a good stash of bombers in the hangar for all kinds of flights.

By perking them into the 60 points+ per flight range (starting cost would be 20 points per plane in a formation) that should eliminate some of the whiners on the new radar settings. While I don't agree with the settings the only way for HTC to truly address this is to turn the planes like the Mossie and 110's into bombers and not "attack/fighter bombers" and perk the crap out of them. Plus you actually have to return the plane to the ground to get your points...no more of the dash and die bomber crap.

Yeah its not very well thought you but so be it.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: I SAY....PERK THE BIG BOMBERS!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:23:40 AM »
 :huh
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:24:42 AM »
60 perks seems a bit harsh, but Ive always thought a mild perk for the 4-engine heavies would make sense. I'd like to see more medium bombers used, plus it might reduce the bomb'n'bail lamery somewhat.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 08:28:18 AM »
Yes I know it takes away from the fun of the dedicated bomber dudes but you guys should have more than enough perks to keep a good stash of bombers in the hangar for all kinds of flights.

So, while I currently have 17+K worth of bomber perks stashed, and the new guy that I've recruited wants to learn how to fly, bomb, & gun proper-like in a B17, how does this allow him to learn from his mistakes? Once he gets his flight shot down, that's it? He doesn't get to try again because he's out of perks? Not cool. :huh
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Glen69

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 08:29:42 AM »
 :huh y'know the bomber guys are gonna :mad: that idea
Do you really think we sit around here trying to find ways to piss off the customer base?
  :headscratch: Only the customers that squad up, mission up and take bases.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 08:30:49 AM »
:huh y'know the bomber guys are gonna :mad: that idea

Damn right.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 08:35:22 AM »
the new guy that I've recruited wants to learn how to fly, bomb, & gun proper-like in a B17, how does this allow him to learn from his mistakes

he would learn by flying medium bombers, building perks to fly the game-changing stuff. the same way new fighter guys learn to fly unperked fighters building up perks to fly the 262.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 08:35:25 AM »
I think the problem with the bombers isn't the bomb load, it is the lack of good targets for the bombers. Right now, the only way they can effect game play is to hit airfields. If that was to change (ie strats being re-hashed), I think you'd find less porking at airfields.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 08:41:11 AM »
he would learn by flying medium bombers, building perks to fly the game-changing stuff. the same way new fighter guys learn to fly unperked fighters building up perks to fly the 262.

Bad comparison, as the bombers are dead meat on the table as soon as any fighter with a half clue decides to go after you and shoot you down.

The thing you can be sure though: IF anyone would still up a flight of B-17, he would make sure he's flying at maximum possible alt (30k+) to protect his perks.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 08:42:56 AM »
I think the problem with the bombers isn't the bomb load, it is the lack of good targets for the bombers. Right now, the only way they can effect game play is to hit airfields. If that was to change (ie strats being re-hashed), I think you'd find less porking at airfields.

This is very true.  Give myself a plug with this idea: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,291464.msg3707954.html#msg3707954

Still, overall, -1.  This will really only adversely effect the new guys, and are they really the threat with bombers?

The thing you can be sure though: IF anyone would still up a flight of B-17, he would make sure he's flying at maximum possible alt (30k+) to protect his perks.

+1
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 08:45:59 AM by Jayhawk »
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 08:44:34 AM »

Bad comparison, as the bombers are dead meat on the table as soon as any fighter with a half clue decides to go after you and shoot you down.

+1 here
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 08:50:44 AM »

By perking them into the 60 points+ per flight range (starting cost would be 20 points per plane in a formation) that should eliminate some of the whiners on the new radar settings. While I don't agree with the settings the only way for HTC to truly address this is to turn the planes like the Mossie and 110's into bombers and not "attack/fighter bombers" and perk the crap out of them. Plus you actually have to return the plane to the ground to get your points...no more of the dash and die bomber crap.

Yeah its not very well thought you but so be it.

-10,000.......Lets just perk everything, bombs, bullets, troops, gas, tires, tracks, radar time........ :x
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 08:53:20 AM by HawkerMKII »
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 09:22:26 AM »
Dumb idea.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 09:33:48 AM »
NOPE.  Don't make me drag out the big nope.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 09:38:45 AM »
We have bombers ?
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!