Author Topic: P38 ord loadout  (Read 2557 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
P38 ord loadout
« on: June 27, 2010, 11:33:52 AM »
I was reading Wikipedia on the 38s this morning and seen that the Lightnings could carry 2x500 or 2x250 bombs on the outer hardpoints. Also noticed the the inter hardpoints could carry up to 6x500,6x200 or even 2x2000 LBers.

I wondering why we don't have that capability in the game.

Also, does anyone else besides me think the pilot wounds are a little TOO easy to get in the 38s? :headscratch:
Lighten up Francis

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
Re: P38 ord loadout
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 12:50:21 PM »
     I am sure guppy will be along soon to tell you that it was a field mod or something  :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 01:37:33 PM »
It was a field mod... they could carry massive loads, utilizing sway bards but it was all done in the field.

As for pilot wounds, yea, you tend to get used to that. We have had numerous threads about it before, Murdr posted some nice pics of cockpit armor placement to back up the claims as well.

(I'm not Guppy, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline whipster22

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 01:41:43 PM »
I was reading Wikipedia on the 38s this morning

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That your problem uptown      Wikipedia
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:43:15 PM by whipster22 »
just dewbing up the bbs
baby seal

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »
Show on "inner" and "outer" hardpoint from the factory on a P-38.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 02:36:01 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That your problem uptown      Wikipedia
well us noobs have to start somewhere. besides i'm just looking for basic information for right now. i know who to talk to when i get to the advanced stuff....but that's a ways off.  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 03:42:28 PM »
The "outer hard points" were almost exclusively used for the rocket trees on the late J and the L models.
The inner hard points were rarely used with massive 2K# bombs, but usually with much less.
The L model is already enough of an ordnance dump truck as it is, there's no need to make it worse with "field modifications".

Yes, the P-38 is the king of pilot wounds for the most part, it's pretty much a pilot wound magnet.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 05:46:05 PM »
Yes, the P-38 is the king of pilot wounds for the most part, it's pretty much a pilot wound magnet.
I don't think it is the P-38.  I think it is a trait of any fighter without an engine block in front of the pilot, and possibly some bombers too.  Certainly I notice it in the Mossie.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 07:08:23 PM »
I don't think it is the P-38.  I think it is a trait of any fighter without an engine block in front of the pilot, and possibly some bombers too.  Certainly I notice it in the Mossie.

The vast majority of my pilot wounds comes when I'm looking over my shoulder behind me in the P-38.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 07:11:09 PM »
I can only count the times I've been in a Mossie on one hand, so I can't speak to that. But I can tell you in my experience flying a 110, it's very rare for me to get a pilot would. Yet in a 38 it seems I get a pilot wound every other sortie.  :frown:
Lighten up Francis

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 08:44:02 PM »
The vast majority of my pilot wounds comes when I'm looking over my shoulder behind me in the P-38.

ack-ack

I always aim for the ego when I fight some guys  :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 10:14:38 PM »
Pilot wounds in the 38 seem pretty common to me. But I guess you get used to it.
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 03:50:32 AM »
Pilot wounds in the 38 seem pretty common to me. But I guess you get used to it.

Can;t be any more common than the 109's oil/coolant/fuel leaks, can it?
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 08:57:14 AM »
Can;t be any more common than the 109's oil/coolant/fuel leaks, can it?

There was a time when we fooled around with loosely keeping track of it. Some were seeing pilot wounds as often as 1 of every 2 or 3 instances of damage. I recorded a few flights where the film showed it to be nearly impossible for a pilot wound to happen, and when I landed, a thorough scan of every inch of the cockpit showed not a single hole or crack visible anywhere, yet I had a pilot wound.

"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 01:25:26 PM »
The inner hard points were rarely used with massive 2K# bombs, but usually with much less.
The L model is already enough of an ordnance dump truck as it is, there's no need to make it worse with "field modifications".

I think it would be fun to get someone in a "droop snoot" and a flight of Lightnings with 2k bombs for a raid.  Drop a heavy duty load on a field for town, then jump into the furball.

Maybe set it so that the 2000 pounders are only available as part of a mission when there is at least one droop snoot included.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com