Author Topic: stalls, spins, snap rolls  (Read 2011 times)

Offline voncool

• Zinc Member
stalls, spins, snap rolls
« on: July 01, 2010, 02:07:04 AM »
HI all,
I paged through the threadsin this forum and didn't see anything that related directly to my issue.
Here it is:
Even though i do NOT have the stall limiter turned on, I can't get the airplanes I"ve tried thus far to do more than mush into a cherokee like stall.
I"ve tried provoking accelerated stalls, snap rolls and regular old power on stalls and I can't get anything more than a high sink rate and a kind of gentle wing drop stall that just mushes and is solved by neutral stick alone.
Is there some ezmode button I"ve accidentally hit? Or do I need to look at how my stick and pedals are setup somewhere else in the game?
I must be missing something!

vonC

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: stalls, spins, snap rolls
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 03:45:10 AM »
pretty sure most planes will snap roll - grab a spit, lots of rudder then pull back hard on the stick. snap!

accelerated stalls - happens most to me in 190s, try it in an A8.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 07:12:08 AM »
Hi,

As to me stick and pedals setup are important.

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 12:04:05 PM »
What sort of stall behavior are you expecting?

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:12:09 PM »
try a Spit I as well, pull up into a steep climb then dip the nose sharply til the engine cuts. I'll buy you a virtual beer if you can recover from that horrible tail-first plummet to the ground :D
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline voncool

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 05:35:29 PM »
Thanks guys,
I guess I'm expecting planes to behave sort of like the planes I've stalled and spun in real life- and as pireps say they will. Right now they all stall like Piper Cherokees for me. THey just sort of mush and slide and eventually a wing drops. Anyhow,I'm pretty sure HT wouldn't build a model that can't do these things properly, so I'm also pretty sure it's something goofy in my setup.
But I don't know what. I guess I'll just keep reading the forums and help files 'til I figure out how to make my flight controls work as per real life a bit more.
Thanks again
vonC

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »
What kind of control setup do you have....stick, throttle and pedals, mouse? Also what kind of scaling do you use in the controls setup?

Offline voncool

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:15:50 PM »
What kind of control setup do you have....stick, throttle and pedals, mouse? Also what kind of scaling do you use in the controls setup?

I have Ch pedals and a CH F16 stick. Don't use the mouse for any flight stuff.

I have deadbands and dampener set to zero.
rudder scaled upwards from about 50 to max.
I was going to try setting roll and pitch are in their default settings.
I'm going to try setting them to 100 percent.
What would you recommend?
Thanks
VonC

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 10:58:53 PM »
turn stall limiter off

Turn stall horn off

Leave the buffet sound on.

fly level pull up hard, full power hold right rudder nose up and then yank the stick back to the left.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 06:15:56 PM »
I have all CH also and these are my settings....

Rudder ...

Elevators...

Aileron...

Throttle...

I would consider myself very easy on the stick, I don't yank it all over the place. I try to be very smooth. That being said I can stall spin and snap roll like the bestest newb !   :D

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 08:18:07 AM »
Why to leave stall horn off?

mobilis in mobile

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 08:25:45 AM »
cus its loud, annoying and distracting. covers the sound of the stall buffet too (which is muuuch more useful.)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 08:26:25 AM »
see above
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 09:38:45 AM »
Why to leave stall horn off?

It isn't so much turning the stall buzzer off, but rather replacing it with a different sound.  Many of the custom sound packs have several options for stall sounds, and one that many of us prefer is the stall sound that sounds like "buffeting" air.

The buffet-sound is also far less annoying/obnoxious than the buzzer or horn-type stall warning.

It's been a long time since I used AH's default sounds, so I'm not sure whether they offer anything along those lines or not.

Just plain turning your stall buzzer off, without replacing it with a different option, would probably be a very (very) bad idea.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 09:45:21 AM »
actually the games "default" stall horn / buzzer is very helpful, especially to newer players learning to turn on the edge of the stall and/or learning to maximize their plane's sustained turn rate

reason being is you can be turning your plane and be at the edge of the stall, it will start out as a very low volume sound buzzer, the more you take your plane into the stall the louder the buzzer will become, from low volume to medium low, to medium , to medium high volume, to high volume....

this is a great learning tool in learning how to ride the edge of the stall........ right along with riding the stall buffet, same deal. you will start out with the slightest of screen shake, the more you tighten the turn of your plane, the more abrupt the screen shake ( the stall buffet )

hope this helps
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC