Author Topic: stalls, spins, snap rolls  (Read 2013 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: stalls, spins, snap rolls
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 10:53:04 AM »

Just plain turning your stall buzzer off, without replacing it with a different option, would probably be a very (very) bad idea.

Interesting, what would you say makes this such a bad idea?   I turned off my stall buzzer and the buffet sound, have no problems at all. Never used either of them.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 03:18:12 PM »
 I can understand Mtnman's point about having some warning sound,maybe just turning the buzzer down, in the begining while learning the flight model.

That said I'm with Mechanic,I have buzzer,buffet and wind sounds off or so low they cant be heard and really dont need them.

To get back to the OP,search the forum for stick settings,there's many appoarched you can take with them and HTC has made the interface fairly easy to work with.If your having troubles getting the aircraft to spin,stall or snap roll you might try all sliders set to top,be sure to enable scaling, and then try your favourite ride and see if there's a difference.

:salute

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 04:02:41 PM »
i need the wind noise! that the one i rely on alot, aswell as creaking noise and shaking cockpit.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 07:32:07 PM »
Reason I said turn stall horn off is because the horn goes off before the buffet does. The horn then becomes a warning sign and you start to think stall when it sounds.

The buffet sound is much better. Your not in stall untill the buffet starts howling.

I think learning when the plane stalls is better with just the buffet sound.

But I can see how the horn will help completly new players in the game a week or two.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 08:15:15 PM »
The stall horn is helpful if you know what it is and what it does. It is a good tool once you understand that it is a progressive indication of angle of attack. Volume of the horn tells you your AOA once you learn to judge the volume.

I recorded my own stall warning because the ones I have found in the various sound packs are generally annoying but the stock stall horn is the best available of the bunch, especially if you play with the volume.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 09:18:41 PM »
actually the games "default" stall horn / buzzer is very helpful, especially to newer players learning to turn on the edge of the stall and/or learning to maximize their plane's sustained turn rate

reason being is you can be turning your plane and be at the edge of the stall, it will start out as a very low volume sound buzzer, the more you take your plane into the stall the louder the buzzer will become, from low volume to medium low, to medium , to medium high volume, to high volume....

this is a great learning tool in learning how to ride the edge of the stall........ right along with riding the stall buffet, same deal. you will start out with the slightest of screen shake, the more you tighten the turn of your plane, the more abrupt the screen shake ( the stall buffet )

hope this helps

The stall buffet sound that I use works just as you describe the horn working.  It just sounds different.  The screen-shake visual thing is there too.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 09:39:56 PM »

Interesting, what would you say makes this such a bad idea?   I turned off my stall buzzer and the buffet sound, have no problems at all. Never used either of them.

You could turn them off, sure, it basically just amounts to giving up some auditory information.  You could get the same information by watching the screen, the dials, and paying attention to how sensitive/mushy the controls are.  "Listening" to the stall develop is an option that can be used on its own, or coupled with the visual clues.  It's a "freebie".  It allows me to pay more attention to other things.  I'd say it helps my overall SA quite a bit. 

When we play AH, we're limited in how we get information to just sight and sound.  We're missing out on a huge part of how we perceive our environment and how we're interacting with it.

It isn't that you can't play this game without the auditory aspects/warnings/clues; I'm sure it could be done.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that some players may be deaf, even.

MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Crus8r

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2010, 08:49:24 PM »
One thing is for sure; it is all about stick, rudder, throttle, and flaps.  It is just the combinations of that cause the problems, LOL

Offline zes

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2010, 09:35:39 PM »
I swapped my buffet and stall horn sounds so now the buffet creeps in and the buzzer means 'critical'.  Works well.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2010, 10:07:41 PM »
If you want stalls fly the ta-152. It still surprises me in that aspect.

Easiest way to induce a stall in this plane is try and do a quick split-s.

Once you get used to them though you can start to use them.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2010, 10:26:06 PM »
I find that the longer someone plays ( and plays frequently ), as in batfinkv's case or Agent360's case, then it is easy to see players of that caliber would might not need to have the sound horn/buzzer or even the buffet sounds ( the screen still will shake, even if the sound is not played  being buffet, wind or sound buzzer sounds.. ( I do not think the screen shake can be completely done away with that I know of )

but for those players who are new, or even have played for a good long while but play all different aspects of the game and are not just fighter/attack plane fliers for the most part ( say 90% + of the time ) will benefit from having the sounds turned on or at a modest volume

People can do as Mtnman has done and simply switch them around if that suits them better......

whatever fits one's own preference........ that is what I personally like about Aces High...... you are not limited to a set preference.....

The stall horn is helpful if you know what it is and what it does. It is a good tool once you understand that it is a progressive indication of angle of attack. Volume of the horn tells you your AOA once you learn to judge the volume.

I recorded my own stall warning because the ones I have found in the various sound packs are generally annoying but the stock stall horn is the best available of the bunch, especially if you play with the volume.

Thanks Dawger, for explaining my reasoning for my first post, in more than just laymen's terms, much appreciated.......

I myself have become so accustomed to the Stall Horn and how it works, that I prefer it over anything else... that and the fact I am 48% deaf in my left ear and 32/34% deaf in my right ear, and have to use the custom volume settings on a majority of game sounds

I feel that by using the Stall Horn sound, I can perform my turns better than by using the stall buffet........ as much so that by using the stall buffet, one can actually hurt themselves more so by riding the AOA/turn to far into the buffet, ending up wasting more performance rather than maximizing it....

it all boils down to what one is accustomed to using and prefers, I guess......

really have enjoyed this thread.....  :salute
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 06:45:04 AM »
I would be quite cautious advocating the use of the buffet sound over the stall horn.
For one simple reason. Stall horn is a "warning" that you are approaching a stall.

When you hear the buffet sound part of that wing is already in a stalled condition.

Thats fine for those old hands who are wise in the ways of the force.
But not always so good for someone learning.

I think it was Mitsu's sound pack that had a stall warning that "sounded" more like buffet, less like a constant buzzer going off in your ear.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 07:43:04 AM »
I think it was Mitsu's sound pack that had a stall warning that "sounded" more like buffet, less like a constant buzzer going off in your ear.

Yup, Mitsu's soundpack has it that way. Much better than the annyoing buzzer  :aok
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 08:25:24 PM »
I would be quite cautious advocating the use of the buffet sound over the stall horn.
For one simple reason. Stall horn is a "warning" that you are approaching a stall.

When you hear the buffet sound part of that wing is already in a stalled condition.

Thats fine for those old hands who are wise in the ways of the force.
But not always so good for someone learning.

I'm not sure I've found any custom sound-packs that don't have options for the different-sounding stall warning.  The "normal" stall buzzer is named "stall".  The other options are just named "stall1", "stall2", etc.  They all serve the same purpose; they just sound different.

My current sounds are a hodge-podge of all of the parts of the packs I like best, so I really don't remember which ones offer which sounds anymore, though.

I wouldn't think the buzzer is any more effective than the other stall warning sounds.  Once you understand what it is, you know what it means...  In my case, the buzzer/horn thing wasn't something I could deal with.
MtnMan

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 12:39:48 AM »
I record my own sounds. I'm not too concerned with it sounding like the "real thing" so I just turn on the sound recorder and say what it is.

Plain english. So my gear in transit sound is a recording of me saying "gear in transit". Same with flaps, stall and the various damage sounds.

Works for me because I don't like to guess what some sound means.