Author Topic: Inverted Flight  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
Re: Inverted Flight
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 11:49:27 PM »
According to one of the training videos that the P38 pilots watched, Lockheed recommends no longer than 10 seconds in inverted flight. This would cause a tremendous drop in oil pressure and eventually cause the engines to overheat and blow up.

Link:
http://zenoswarbirdvideos.com/main.html
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 12:07:37 AM »

But I believe your question begs this question:  Why would you be flying inverted long enough for your engine to starve? 

hunting GV's

Offline RealDeal

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 07:53:17 PM »
I have no problem flying inverted....didn't you read? the ones that could not, are modeled properly, the ones that can, are also modeled properly.

Actually this isn't correct. Here is a youtube video of a P51-D that was redesignated a P51-TF but still uses ther merlin rolls royce engine where the annoucer clearly states the max sustained inverted time is 10 seconds. Yet this is not modeled in any aircraft that used that engine. 

Time spot 3:40- 3:50 contains the information about inverted flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMILwL86njk
~BParker~
SHADE

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 10:17:35 PM »
if modeled correctly, those planes with that limitation,, such as the 51 or the 38 would have engine failure after the 10 seconds, that might be a neat thing but it also  has a problem in that you cannot feel the g force or lack there of 
the problem is not with inverted flight but with zero or negative sustained g,  playing a computer game and in combat it would be hard to look at the g- force indicator and fight constantly. the way we fight now would be changed a great deal if that were to be in that positive g would have to be pulled almost all the time ! engine management would play a large factor that at this time we do not have to worry about.
"I would be all for trying it this way", but I am fine with it the way it is now as well,, and would not want to overburden players with to much to think about if it took away from the combat!
I do imagine tho,, that many here would love it,  I also think HTC probably thought about all of this!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 10:23:11 PM »
inverted flight in Hurri and Spit 1s are impossible due to their carbeaurators and no fuel injection. BUT, inverted flight for any prop plane WILL cause engine seizure due to oil pressure dropping. It just depends on what plane you are in and how long you flew it upside down. The game does not model this. no reason to really... but the inverted bomber dropping ord kinda annoys me sometimes
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 10:26:16 PM »
inverted flight in Hurri and Spit 1s are impossible due to their carbeaurators and no fuel injection. BUT, inverted flight for any prop plane WILL cause engine seizure due to oil pressure dropping. It just depends on what plane you are in and how long you flew it upside down. The game does not model this. no reason to really... but the inverted bomber dropping ord kinda annoys me sometimes
I don't know that there is not any reason!!!!  it would help to add more realism to the dogfights in that it would limit the capability of the pilot to do things the plane could not do to start with!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 10:27:35 PM »
I try to stay positive g. If I go negative it makes margarita come out of the blender.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 10:29:49 PM »
I don't know that there is not any reason!!!!  it would help to add more realism to the dogfights in that it would limit the capability of the pilot to do things the plane could not do to start with!
i've never flown into the red zone inverted while flying since my first year. unless thats not here anymore? and i rarely see invert idiots due to the simplicity of ways to kill them :aok the noobs learn not to fly neg g dogfights for long
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 12:04:16 AM »
I try to stay positive g. If I go negative it makes margarita come out of the blender.
lol. :salute
Flying since tour 71.