Author Topic: Porking Hangers, Another View  (Read 3189 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Porking Hangers, Another View
« on: July 04, 2010, 06:17:37 PM »
This morning I felt like going for a bomber run or two. 

I logged into Orange and studied the map, looking for a good target.  The Knight strat factories, while not too far away, were completely surrounded by tightly grouped airfields and GV bases 3-4 deep with nearly 100% radar coverage for three or four sectors in every direction.  Thinking this would invite too much trouble I looked at the Rook side of the map.  The strats were half a world away from the nearest Bish base and I didn't want to spend three hours getting to the target.

This left me one choice, hitting airfields or GV bases.

The Bish appeared to be hoarding bases so I decided my effort wasn't needed there and since I was, as always, flying alone, hitting a town somewhere else made no sense.  That left me with hitting the fields themselves.

OK, I found a field that the Knights were using to spawn GV's and fly aircraft against a Bish GV base.  Perfect.  A field chosen now the question was what to hit.  Ord, troops, fuel (not really a viable option) or, wait... hangers!  Yes!  If I could drop the fighter hangers then those pesky fighters wouldn't be able to come up and bother me.  Then I could hit the GV hanger to help our GV defense.  It was such a natural choice and flying a formation of Lancasters I could easily drop an entire large airfield.

Well, that's what I did... twice.

Granted there were no furballs going at the base I hit but there were Bish GV's there and aircraft attacking them, and, as I said, launching from there against a Bish GV base.  Once the hangers went down though more Bish swarmed in, then, as the fighter hangers re-upped the fight dissipated leaving just the Bish GV's and attacking enemy aircraft.

Anyway, with the recent advents of strat targets being moved to the hinterlands and radar covering 100% of approach paths I think losing hangers will become more and more prevalent.  Could I have gone for ord?  Sure, but a single fighter can take ord out in a single sortie.  I wouldn't need to fly heavies for that.

So next time you wonder why bombers are taking out the hangers and ruining a furball just remember, it's the only viable taget they have left.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
Re: Porking Hangers, Another View
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 06:32:08 PM »
This morning I felt like going for a bomber run or two.  

I logged into Orange and studied the map, looking for a good target.  The Knight strat factories, while not too far away, were completely surrounded by tightly grouped airfields and GV bases 3-4 deep with nearly 100% radar coverage for three or four sectors in every direction.  Thinking this would invite too much trouble I looked at the Rook side of the map.  The strats were half a world away from the nearest Bish base and I didn't want to spend three hours getting to the target.

This left me one choice, hitting airfields or GV bases.

The Bish appeared to be hoarding bases so I decided my effort wasn't needed there and since I was, as always, flying alone, hitting a town somewhere else made no sense.  That left me with hitting the fields themselves.

OK, I found a field that the Knights were using to spawn GV's and fly aircraft against a Bish GV base.  Perfect.  A field chosen now the question was what to hit.  Ord, troops, fuel (not really a viable option) or, wait... hangers!  Yes!  If I could drop the fighter hangers then those pesky fighters wouldn't be able to come up and bother me.  Then I could hit the GV hanger to help our GV defense.  It was such a natural choice and flying a formation of Lancasters I could easily drop an entire large airfield.

Well, that's what I did... twice.

Granted there were no furballs going at the base I hit but there were Bish GV's there and aircraft attacking them, and, as I said, launching from there against a Bish GV base.  Once the hangers went down though more Bish swarmed in, then, as the fighter hangers re-upped the fight dissipated leaving just the Bish GV's and attacking enemy aircraft.

Anyway, with the recent advents of strat targets being moved to the hinterlands and radar covering 100% of approach paths I think losing hangers will become more and more prevalent.  Could I have gone for ord?  Sure, but a single fighter can take ord out in a single sortie.  I wouldn't need to fly heavies for that.

So next time you wonder why bombers are taking out the hangers and ruining a furball just remember, it's the only viable taget they have left.

Agreed!! Flatten everything.. I am watching many send in one bird to kill the radar, and the rest of the squad fly in and flatten the base.  SOP these days. Not many 110 NOE raids in to flatten the town and cap the base.  With these new tactics, I am getting alot of perk points doing resupply missions to flat bases.. Killing the radar is also SOP these days. I have a feeling they may want to upgrade the radar and make it harder to destroy..
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 06:48:12 PM by sky25 »

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 06:33:19 PM »

Except hitting towns for points ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »
personally I think there should be three bases on each map that can NOT be taken, for those that want to Fight...... :uhoh

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 06:43:33 PM »
Bring Back Donut! Bring Back Donut!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 07:08:12 PM »
Shoot red guys.  Blow up red guys.  Break their stuff.  Take their stuff.  This is what it is about! :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 07:13:25 PM »
personally I think there should be three bases on each map that can NOT be taken, for those that want to Fight...... :uhoh

DA? :headscratch:
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 10:23:21 PM »

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 11:53:50 PM »
Bring Back Donut! Bring Back Donut!

Here you go. They even have hearts on it!

Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 12:05:20 AM »
Here you go. They even have hearts on it!

(Image removed from quote.)

Those actually look nasty :/

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 12:09:56 AM »
Fixed.

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 12:11:50 AM »

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 02:30:47 AM »
Agreed!! Flatten everything.. I am watching many send in one bird to kill the radar, and the rest of the squad fly in and flatten the base.  SOP these days. Not many 110 NOE raids in to flatten the town and cap the base.  With these new tactics, I am getting alot of perk points doing resupply missions to flat bases.. Killing the radar is also SOP these days. I have a feeling they may want to upgrade the radar and make it harder to destroy..

the game is the same as always has been, go kill red things.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 07:10:39 AM »

Furballers, Toolshedders,basetakers
Its all a fight. The only aspect that isnt a fight is the hoarders

The larger problem isnt with the bombers flattening everything. But people being too LAZY to defend against bombers
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 10:48:48 AM »
Furballers, Toolshedders,basetakers
Its all a fight. The only aspect that isnt a fight is the hoarders

The larger problem isnt with the bombers flattening everything. But people being too LAZY to defend against bombers

The people that take the time to get up to 20+k to defend against bombers, and high attack planes are just called   "ALT MONKIES" BY THE bombers so it all evens out.

ab8aac
out
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW