Author Topic: REGISTRATION JULY 5th at 8:00pm EASTERN - READ PLEASE  (Read 4110 times)

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Re: REGISTRATION JULY 5th at 8:00pm EASTERN - READ PLEASE
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2010, 03:45:42 PM »
I would be curious what the answer will be.

I am also curious if you consider a 1d and a 1a both F4u's and let pilots switch between them.

I agree with K-Ken here...<snippage occured>

K, per the orders the only time the 475th will be split up is once or twice the four frames...so why would it be a big deal to be able...it's even closer than the 1D's and 1A's considering it's the same exact plane...J/L.

On the F4u and P38s. We know those planes have different characteristics, loadouts, and performance differences.  I believe Fencer51 (The Creator) may have a higher opinion or reason why certain planes were used during a specific time or frame, but I do not know this for sure. If your orders call for the J model, then that should be the only one during that time frame.  Maybe it is better that I not try and read into this and let Fencer51 and/or Brooke weigh in on the "reason(s)".  The other major difference is that the F4U's (a & d) are actually listed separately on the registration page and the P-38s (J & L) are combined.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2010, 03:49:35 AM »
People can't be switched around, but they can request to be unregistered and then register again.

That is OK if there are still slots open where they want to go, and the risk is upon them that if they unregister then go to register for something that is full.  But that's up to them -- no one can hold open spots for them.  It's first come, first served.  If there is an open spot, you can get it.

But the CO can't move them around.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:52:16 AM by Brooke »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2010, 10:53:25 AM »
People can't be switched around, but they can request to be unregistered and then register again.

That is OK if there are still slots open where they want to go, and the risk is upon them that if they unregister then go to register for something that is full.  But that's up to them -- no one can hold open spots for them.  It's first come, first served.  If there is an open spot, you can get it.

So a GL can only come from that group he registered for and can't be moved about...

Right?
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2010, 12:32:28 PM »

So a GL can only come from that group he registered for and can't be moved about...

Right?

WMLute, not sure what or how this was taken by you,  but as Brooke stated.. "People can't be switched around, but they can request to be unregistered and then register again."  People might mean Pilot, XO, GL etc. In previous Scenarios, CO's were able to move folks afterwords and since registration was just sign up, then pilots were assigned by the CO's/GL's etc.. They have taken that part away from us CO types. The only other option is unregister the player.

It's hard enough to get players for the Axis and keep them if they cannot fly and register as a group. The blind registration didn't help. Just my 2 cents.

:salute

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2010, 01:14:09 PM »
Oh, I understand they can re register and IF that group isn't already full they can register in that group and then be the GL.  If it IS full then one must pick from the pool of players in the group for the GL slot even if a much better candidate is avail but not registered in that group.

I am being a bit tongue and cheek here as I think the CO's need to have some leeway to move players about.

None of my posts are pointed towards you K-Ken or the Axis, or anything but what I see as a bad idea.

Like you said, it is pretty hard to fill out the slots in the 1st place, and it isn't unreasonable (IMHO) for the CO to move a few players about to created a better command structure amongst their groups.  (or even move players to create better groups period)

What WAS the thinking behind this new rule?  What was wrong with how it had been done for near 2 decades?

I can only assume that they are trying to remove as much responsibility and decision making from the CO position as possible so there is a larger pool of players who can be CO's in future events.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 01:23:51 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2010, 01:39:17 PM »
Oh, I understand ...

Like you said, it is pretty hard to fill out the slots in the 1st place, and it isn't unreasonable (IMHO) for the CO to move a few players about to created a better command structure amongst their groups.  (or even move players to create better groups period)

What WAS the thinking behind this new rule?  What was wrong with how it had been done for near 2 decades?

I can only assume that they are trying to remove as much responsibility and decision making from the CO position as possible so there is a larger pool of players who can be CO's in future events.

The last part of your statement is most correct!  It is the only reason I hung my hat in the CO room.  I have been doing Scenarios since 1996 in AW and then AH since the first of them here. (AH1) Because it is canned <partially> it does take the "guess-work" out of where to defend, attack, and everything in between...at least from T+1 to T+75  :) It's still a "creative" thing beyond there, IMHO, and even during that period..in a way.  I want to remain hopeful and upbeat because Fudgums and I will be the first to try it. I think it still comes down to pilot skills...for the most-part. It should also provide excitement for nearly everyone right up front!! That is the part where folks were really dismayed..like one of my last ride in Mossies capping the CV in The Final Battle. No one came initially and then when the AR234's breezed thru we had no time to even react. I think everyone will get a piece of the action during the whole frame/event. At least, that is my hope for all.

:salute

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
The reason for the new rules comes from something that happened before I was a CM back during Dawn of Battle.  I don't know all the details and it is water under the bridge anyway.

Brooke is highly opinionated that people shall fly what they want to fly, period.  I don't think anyone can disagree with that.

Due to real life commitments, he has asked me to handle this, and K-KEN is going to get me some info to handle his problem.

It is my opinion that both COs must be left some leeway for leadership positions and errors in registration.

The register/unregister/reregister process, as cumbersome as it is, is how we are going to handle it now.  But when it comes down to it, IF two people want to swap spots and BOTH people agree, I am not going to have any heartburn about it happening.

There is going to be a meeting between myself and the command teams next week, and I will discuss this and we will proceed with both sides coming to an agreement on how this will work.

We are making some changes to scenarios and there will be rough spots, please understand that and give us some time to work through them.

[edit]  The main thing to remember is that wholesale swapping of people from one set of planes to the next or from one unit to the next just because the CO wants them there isn't going to happen anymore.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 01:57:48 PM by Fencer51 »
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2010, 03:14:55 PM »
 :aok
— George Patton

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2010, 09:54:35 PM »
[edit]  The main thing to remember is that wholesale swapping of people from one set of planes to the next or from one unit to the next just because the CO wants them there isn't going to happen anymore.

:headscratch: I don't recall that ever happening...though I tend to mostly pay attention to my own unit.

I find it kinda strange that the argument (until now) has been that everyone is permanently locked in place, but the registration page tells pilots to be ready in case they're moved.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2010, 11:26:06 PM »
:headscratch: I don't recall that ever happening...though I tend to mostly pay attention to my own unit.

I find it kinda strange that the argument (until now) has been that everyone is permanently locked in place, but the registration page tells pilots to be ready in case they're moved.

We will try and make sure you are informed of everything that happens in the future.  ;)

Well again, as I said above, we are trying new things.  The registration page is the original and was transfered over to the new site.  When there is time it will be updated after we review what we want on there.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2010, 11:50:22 PM »
It's a new thing to try:  you fly what you register for.  That way, people know exactly what they are getting and with whom they will be flying.  There is less flexibility for the CO, but on the other hand, in real WWII, groups and squadron CO's got the people HQ sent them and made it happen with the guys they got.  So, you could think of this as an added bit of realism.

The lack of names at the beginning was a bug in the registration system as a result of a total redo of the whole ahevents.org site a little prior to this.  It wasn't intentional, and it was fixed the next day.

We try new things in scenarios from time to time, to see what people think and to see how it goes.  I figured that the majority of players would like it this way better, flying what they register for and knowing whom they will be flying with.  It makes it possible for people to get what they want (if they register early enough) and for squad mates to make sure they are flying together (again, if they register early enough).  But we'll see what people think.  This one perhaps isn't the best test of the idea because of the bug in the beginning, though.

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2010, 08:32:29 AM »
I am registered under JRjolly, my very first account because that is the time i made the aces high special events account, BUT i am now Jolly01.    Just a heads up, not sure if it will be a big deal.

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2010, 08:37:27 AM »
I am registered under JRjolly, my very first account because that is the time i made the aces high special events account, BUT i am now Jolly01.    Just a heads up, not sure if it will be a big deal.

Use the User Menu>My AH Events Profile>Edit: Update Your Profile button to change your GameID. That way when the CMs output the spreadsheet to the COs, your name will show up properly. At least, it should if their coading is sound. :p
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2010, 04:02:59 PM »
Thanks to All involved for fixing the instances where Registration had an adverse effect initially.

The new page looks great and should enhance the Registration process. I am very pleased at the way this was resolved and the quick response.

Again, Thank you to All...

:aok   :rock   :salute

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2010, 08:15:06 PM »
is it just me or is registration extremely slow?
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks