Author Topic: Fighter Score system  (Read 9139 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Fighter Score system
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2010, 03:11:09 PM »
How does vulching detract from game play?  

I was referring to gyrene's post..... not about vulching.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2010, 03:11:33 PM »
It was not combat.  It was killing the enemy and destroying their equipment but it was not combat.  Unless, ground forces were firing at them.  Then it would be combat.  But then, that would apply to attacking buildings noe too, no? 

Think about hunting.  Are you killing a deer?  yes.  Are you in combat with it?  no.   
So, any mission flown by a pilot against enemy targets wasn't counted as a "combat mission", especially if they weren't getting fired at?

I have bad news for you, regardless of the mission objective or what was used on the mission, with or without getting fired at, it was combat. It's not spying or sabotage, it's actual combat.

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2010, 03:13:43 PM »
I was referring to gyrene's post..... not about vulching.
Which post and what behavior would be frowned upon because it detracts from the game? Vulching, ACM, SA...?
jarhed  

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2010, 03:16:50 PM »
go read up the definition of combat.  Conflict is combat.  Just because your getting your taxi'd tail shorn off at the runway spawn does not disqualify you from combat.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2010, 03:22:29 PM »
Which post and what behavior would be frowned upon because it detracts from the game? Vulching, ACM, SA...?

I was referring to your post saying the same old "they did it in WWII" so we can do it in the game. Not everything in WWII lends itself well to a game.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2010, 03:23:06 PM »
dbl
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2010, 03:32:58 PM »
I was referring to your post saying the same old "they did it in WWII" so we can do it in the game. Not everything in WWII lends itself well to a game.
I never said "they did it in WWII", but on that note, who dictates what is acceptable and what is not? For instance, if an Immelmann is a valid tactic "because it was done in WWII", then strafing airplanes on the runway of a capped airfield is a valid tactic. Aside from actual death, what does not lend itself well to a game? Realistic ballistics? Realistic damage? How about flight models? Why have parachutes?

You get what I'm saying here? Picking and choosing what is "acceptable" based on what an individual thinks because he doesn't like it is total horse hockey.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:35:29 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2010, 03:35:49 PM »
its not applicable to the game because there was no 'game' in it, there was no challenge, no 'fight'. The other side did not even get a chance to 'play'. Its like a soccer game where one team always starts 1 foot away from the other teams goal, and just kicks it in on every play.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2010, 03:36:36 PM »
IMO vulching is a part of the game frustrating as yes but it was done in the wild..and is combat...what I find takes it from the game is when this is a sole source of combat for some....when there is absolutely no intention of trying to take a base they just come in with their fast planes and big guns remove ack and pick off planes...sometimes even fighting like a pack of hyenas for the one upper who is willing to offer a fight if they will just let him get up and then merrily trot off home...sometimes one or two less but that was their objective...now that's their right to do so but I don't really pose that as combat....that's like going to the supermarket and buying a fish and calling it fishing...but that's just me...

:furious  you know who you are  :furious   :lol :lol :lol :lol
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:39:17 PM by SPKmes »

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2010, 03:42:46 PM »
IMO vulching is a part of the game frustrating as yes but it was done in the wild..and is combat...what I find takes it from the game is when this is a sole source of combat for some....when there is absolutely no intention of trying to take a base they just come in with their fast planes and big guns remove ack and pick off planes...sometimes even fighting like a pack of hyenas for the one upper who is willing to offer a fight if they will just let him get up and then merrily trot off home...sometimes one or two less but that was their objective...now that's their right to do so but I don't really pose that as combat....that's like going to the supermarket and buying a fish and calling it fishing...but that's just me...

Agreed, and worse yet, when there finally is resistance, they run away to another undefended field, to vulch the 1 or 2 people who are there first to stop them.

At its core, its a very similar behavior to people who refuse to fight unless they have a numerical advantage. You all know, the guy who runs from a 1v1 to then turn and fight you when he as 10 other friendlies to help. In my book, thats not 'sport' and its barley combat. Its just cowardly behavior that detracts from the game, plain and simple.

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2010, 03:45:08 PM »

:furious  you know who you are  :furious   :lol :lol :lol :lol
Agreed, that's 1d10ts gaming the game for score...and the justifications for doing it are very lame.
jarhed  

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2010, 03:49:07 PM »
I remember an old animation from years back where the cartoon guy in a cartoon spitfire at 20k spots a cartoon plane OTR and his eyes go big and he dives in!  Man that summed it up for all time!

Anyone have that one stashed away somewhere?

I think I will log on tonight and search for a lighted up vulch lamp!  Nothing quite like it :)
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2010, 04:12:23 PM »
So, any mission flown by a pilot against enemy targets wasn't counted as a "combat mission", especially if they weren't getting fired at?

I have bad news for you, regardless of the mission objective or what was used on the mission, with or without getting fired at, it was combat. It's not spying or sabotage, it's actual combat.

Excellent, so we agree that NOE base taking is also combat  :aok
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2010, 04:17:13 PM »

I think I will log on tonight and search for a lighted up vulch lamp!  Nothing quite like it :)

Vulching is fun, great fun actually.  One of my fondest vulch memories is of me and Murdr in P-38Ls using our HVARs, I only managed around 4 kills or so but Murdr was on fire that night, recall him scoring a kill with each rocket.  After we exhausted the rockets, we dove in to give some of our 20mm love to the poor helpless dweebs trying in vain to take off.

Personally, I like to wait until their wheels leave the ground before striking because it gives them a slim bit of false hope that they may not get vulched.  Destroying that small glimmer of hope is just as enjoyable as destroying their plane and waiting until they take off lessens the likelihood of them being able to ditch.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2010, 04:20:10 PM »

Ah yes, having a beer in otherwise empty bar now equates to bar fight?  :rofl