Author Topic: MAN&RPM  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: MAN&RPM
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 08:51:23 AM »
ok in 3D modled planes theres two levers that move(singel motor plane such as a P51) ones bigger than the other
one controls MAN presser   and the other RPM.now RPM is is how fast the prop is moving MAN is the presser on the manifold how do you change manifold presser without changing RPM.prop pitch????? pls help just want to leran this game

In this arcade game presented by Hitech creations there is seldom a need to alter the Manifold or RPM settings on any aircraft engine.   As overheating or other types of damage associated with the misuse or abuse of the engine is not modeled into the game except when the oil or radiator fluid  leak out.

My dad who flew P47’s and P51’s during WWII told me about engine problems that guys had caused by supper cooling the engine during dives and overheating problems because of poor cockpit management of cowling flaps during prolonged climb outs during the July and August hot summer months. 
The  actual airplane could not just be run flat out without having some heat related problems.  But in Aces High it’s never a problem and never will be.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 11:13:44 AM »
In this arcade game presented by Hitech creations there is seldom a need to alter the Manifold or RPM settings on any aircraft engine.   As overheating or other types of damage associated with the misuse or abuse of the engine is not modeled into the game except when the oil or radiator fluid  leak out.

In this arcade game presented by Hitech Creations there is times when throttling back ( reducing manifold pressure ), and changing prop pitch ( adjusting RPM ) will be needed to reserve fuel, to prolong flight / stay on station. this is more important in the Main arena's where fuel burn is set at 2.0 x's ..but is also just as important in special events like Scenario's and FSO's even though fuel burn is most times set at 1.0 x's......

when one's plane is damaged and is leaking fuel they can change their tanks and run the fuel out manually to keep the plane balanced or if leaking oil, leaking water..... one can cycle their engine on /off to keep the plane from over heating ( temp going in to the red & pegged ) and prolong their flight / distance before the engine siezes up and stops

adjusting manifold pressure, adjusting RPM, watching the temp guage when engine is damaged...... is very much important in this Arcade game created by hitech Creations.....

hope this helps...
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »
TC beat me to it, There is actually rarely a flight that goes by for me in the MA's where I don't use some combination of RPM control and throttle/manifold pressure to extend my time aloft. My current plane of choice the 38G is a little on the sluggish side when loaded full of fuel, as a result I typically take off with 50% and some drop tanks, but my loiter time is pretty limited once the DT's come off and I frequently reduce RPM and throttle any time I don't need maximum power, ie pretty much anytime I'm not engaged. 

In scenarios I can think of specific examples where we would have lost whole squadrons of planes if they hadn't carefully marshaled their fuel.  I believe in one frame of DSG Delirium landed after a marathon flight with something like 6 gallons left after taking off with over 700 gallons on board.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 11:46:06 AM »
In this arcade game presented by Hitech Creations there is times when throttling back ( reducing manifold pressure ), and changing prop pitch ( adjusting RPM ) will be needed to reserve fuel, to prolong flight / stay on station. this is more important in the Main arena's where fuel burn is set at 2.0 x's ..but is also just as important in special events like Scenario's and FSO's even though fuel burn is most times set at 1.0 x's......
A valid point for extending flight time I grant you, however, current game play strategy seldom requires any prolonged cap type missions.  Seldom does anyone travel more then 30 miles and carries two drop tanks.

when one's plane is damaged and is leaking fuel they can change their tanks and run the fuel out manually to keep the plane balanced or if leaking oil, leaking water..... one can cycle their engine on /off to keep the plane from over heating ( temp going in to the red & pegged ) and prolong their flight / distance before the engine siezes up and stops
I doubt that is in combat pilots cycled their engine on/off.  What is the airspeed needed to keep a jug prop wind milling? Or spit or Any aircraft that didn’t have a starter and they used a crank or cartridge to turn the engine over for starting.  What does a wind milling prop do to the glide?  But in this arcade game its fine.  My dad told me he attacked a ground target in a P47,  came up with a windshield full of oil , he and his wingman had a discussion about what to do as he flew the 130 miles back to England and never touched the Prop or manifold, his feeling was it was running so leave it alone.   He watched his oil gages go off the scale but never touched anything except to open his cowl flaps all the way.   Once he had the field made he cut the Mag off and landed .

adjusting manifold pressure, adjusting RPM, watching the temp guage when engine is damaged...... is very much important in this Arcade game created by hitech Creations.....

Except in this game where everyone just continues at full power with no lose of performance until the engine finally does stop turning.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 11:53:41 AM »
TC beat me to it, There is actually rarely a flight that goes by for me in the MA's where I don't use some combination of RPM control and throttle/manifold pressure to extend my time aloft. My current plane of choice the 38G is a little on the sluggish side when loaded full of fuel, as a result I typically take off with 50% and some drop tanks, but my loiter time is pretty limited once the DT's come off and I frequently reduce RPM and throttle any time I don't need maximum power, ie pretty much anytime I'm not engaged. 

In scenarios I can think of specific examples where we would have lost whole squadrons of planes if they hadn't carefully marshaled their fuel.  I believe in one frame of DSG Delirium landed after a marathon flight with something like 6 gallons left after taking off with over 700 gallons on board.

My point being that in this arcade game there is no need to adjust rpm or manifold . It is not required.  The abuse of an engine is not modeled into the game.  In real life they would never have run an engine all out for the entire flight.  As just about everyone does in this game. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 11:58:19 AM »
A valid point for extending flight time I grant you, however, current game play strategy seldom requires any prolonged cap type missions.  Seldom does anyone travel more then 30 miles and carries two drop tanks.
I doubt that is in combat pilots cycled their engine on/off.  What is the airspeed needed to keep a jug prop wind milling? Or spit or Any aircraft that didn’t have a starter and they used a crank or cartridge to turn the engine over for starting.  What does a wind milling prop do to the glide?  But in this arcade game its fine.  My dad told me he attacked a ground target in a P47,  came up with a windshield full of oil , he and his wingman had a discussion about what to do as he flew the 130 miles back to England and never touched the Prop or manifold, his feeling was it was running so leave it alone.   He watched his oil gages go off the scale but never touched anything except to open his cowl flaps all the way.   Once he had the field made he cut the Mag off and landed .

Except in this game where everyone just continues at full power with no lose of performance until the engine finally does stop turning.

wind milling the prop prolongs ones glide in some planes

I have played for nearly 10 years and taught in this game and others for to many years to count....

for those that rather run around WOT all the time even when damaged regardless of consequence, so be it. but don't give out misleading information saying certain things does not matter when in truth it does

If you don't know then ask, if you think you know but what you think or what you think you know is not the truth, be ready for people to correct misleading information.... it is nothing more than correcting a misinforming post

If I was to post something and it be incorrect, I would most certainly want others to correct any & all misguiding information I may have posted with welcome & opened arms....

I am not going to argue this point anymore....

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 12:43:36 PM »
My point being that in this arcade game there is no need to adjust rpm or manifold . It is not required.  The abuse of an engine is not modeled into the game.  In real life they would never have run an engine all out for the entire flight.  As just about everyone does in this game. 

And those that do, generally get their butts handed to them over and over by those who work the throttle and easily outmaneuver them in similar planes.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2010, 01:16:09 PM »
wind milling the prop prolongs ones glide in some planes

I have played for nearly 10 years and taught in this game and others for to many years to count....

for those that rather run around WOT all the time even when damaged regardless of consequence, so be it. but don't give out misleading information saying certain things does not matter when in truth it does

If you don't know then ask, if you think you know but what you think or what you think you know is not the truth, be ready for people to correct misleading information.... it is nothing more than correcting a misinforming post

If I was to post something and it be incorrect, I would most certainly want others to correct any & all misguiding information I may have posted with welcome & opened arms....

I am not going to argue this point anymore....

Perhaps in the cartoon world a wind milling porp prolongs glide, but not in real life and that's my point, it's gaming the game. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2010, 01:17:30 PM »
And those that do, generally get their butts handed to them over and over by those who work the throttle and easily outmaneuver them in similar planes.

You have missed the point. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2010, 01:33:41 PM »

guess I missed it too........

are we talking about what your Daddy told you? in how he never turned his motor off and glided with an oil leak? he just adjusted the cowl flaps? guess his oil leak was minor..... maybe he never had a Big Oil Leak, or medium, or inbetween?  people can have an oil leak and it be minor in game, and fly forever, people can have a medium sized oil leak and still fly 3 or 4 sectors. people can have a major oil leak and not make it one sector...

have you flown many planes that ran out of fuel and had the chance in real life to check and see whether changing the Prop aoa would increase or decrease your Glide slope?

where do you come up with "gaming the game" with anything I have posted in this thread?

please provide me with some solid facts that thwart anything I have posted, or just let it go......

this may not be MS flight simulaotr 2000/2004/X etc or IL2 or AW or WB or Targetware........ but everything I have posted so far has nothing to do with "gaming the game"... it seems that the topic of the OP is trying to be changed..... I am only correcting what has been posted as incorrect...

if I am incorrect, please show me, and correct me. and I will concede the fact that I made a mistake, but in typing this, I ask that you do the same

Thank you,  :cheers:

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2010, 01:57:59 PM »

I have not missed the point.  Your point apparently is to say there is no complex engine management in AH2 - that much is true.  The controls we DO have (manifold pressure and RPM) are there for a good reason.  The fact that so many people choose to ignore them points to them not knowing how or why to use them, or them just not caring.  In either case, you are making more of this than it needs.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline --)SF----

• Copper Member
      • Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2010, 02:03:57 PM »
.squelch Traveler

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2010, 02:21:35 PM »
I have not missed the point.  Your point apparently is to say there is no complex engine management in AH2 - that much is true.  The controls we DO have (manifold pressure and RPM) are there for a good reason.  The fact that so many people choose to ignore them points to them not knowing how or why to use them, or them just not caring.  In either case, you are making more of this than it needs.

Yes , that was my point , also that damaged engines continue to produce 100% power until they die.  The fact that players are allowed to run at full power with out the engines overheating is more like an arcade game then a simulations of AirCombat . 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2010, 02:51:31 PM »
have you flown many planes that ran out of fuel and had the chance in real life to check and see whether changing the Prop aoa would increase or decrease your Glide slope?

where do you come up with "gaming the game" with anything I have posted in this thread?
I think your statement about the engine on/off to prevent over heating is gaming the game.  Not all aircraft in real life had an electronic starter.  But all aircraft in AH do.  That to me is gamy.
please provide me with some solid facts that thwart anything I have posted, or just let it go......
I think either NASA or NTSB released some statistics  back in the late 60’s or 70’s , have to search on Wind milling props.  If you lost an engine was it better to glide with the prop stopped or wind milling.  They found that the wind milling prop slowed the aircrafts forward speed and required a steeper dive angle to sustain the airspeed.  The glide distance was reduced.   I hold a CFII, ASEL, AMEL, Glider , I hold an ATP and type ratings in 727-400.   No, I never ran out of gas.  But when my Dad taught me to fly in a our old J3 he cut the fuel  off  to show me just how to do an airstart , just what it would take to get the prop from dead still to wind milling. 

this may not be MS flight simulaotr 2000/2004/X etc or IL2 or AW or WB or Targetware........ but everything I have posted so far has nothing to do with "gaming the game"... it seems that the topic of the OP is trying to be changed..... I am only correcting what has been posted as incorrect...
I was only posting to the OP that any concern about manifold and RPM really didn’t matter in this arcade game environment .  That engine damage from miss use of the manifold or RPM was not modeled into the game. 

if I am incorrect, please show me, and correct me. and I will concede the fact that I made a mistake, but in typing this, I ask that you do the same

Everything you said I’m sure is true that turning the engine off and on will extend the life of  your over heating engine in this arcade environment.  I just have my doubts that it was done that way in WWII.

Yes your air time will be extended if you burn less fuel per hour, it will last longer.  My point was that engines were not designed to be run flat out at 100% power setting .  Engines did fail not that many, but many did overheat.   The engine model in AH is well, gammy.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2010, 03:20:11 PM »
If you lost an engine was it better to glide with the prop stopped or wind milling.  They found that the wind milling prop slowed the aircrafts forward speed and required a steeper dive angle to sustain the airspeed.  The glide distance was reduced.   I hold a CFII, ASEL, AMEL, Glider , I hold an ATP and type ratings in 727-400.   No, I never ran out of gas.  But when my Dad taught me to fly in a our old J3 he cut the fuel  off  to show me just how to do an airstart , just what it would take to get the prop from dead still to wind milling.

let me clear this up a bit.. if your engine is out and just windmilling and biting a larger chunk of air, then yes it will reduce your glide verses a stopped prop... reducing the RPM/aoa prop pitch and reducing the props drag on a windmilling prop will extend the Glide slope in aces high as well as in Real Life... is this not correct? If I am wrong I would like to see some facts.....

I apologize, I did not mean to make it look like I was taking a popshot at you & your Father, I wish I had a chance to know him and hear his History & war Storys, you are very fortunate...

I have no doubt that if a pilot had an oil leak or maybe even a water leak and was near the point of "what can I do ?" if he thought about it, he may have toggled his engine on & off. if the engine isn't running, then it is not pumping oil or water.. therefore it is not pushing it out as fast if at all...... all depending on the size of the leak and where the leak is..... just as you have acknowledged, your father had taught you how to restart a stopped prop or wind milling prop....... yes we fly in a Flight simulating game so we have the only use of toggling a E key to start & stop our engine..... we do not have the immersion of charges, mags, APU's, etc......

but heck we don't have the ability to experience the G's by feel either ..... their are some compromises we do endure...... I just don't see it as gaming the game....... spawn camping, vulching noobs or 2nd accounts, etc stuff like that is gaming the game......

ok that's all

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:22:03 PM by TequilaChaser »