Author Topic: X45?  (Read 972 times)

Offline Vector

• Nickel Member
X45?
« on: November 24, 2001, 02:59:00 PM »
Hi

My old CH gear is almost dead now after years of waving. Is X45 ok or should I go to X36? I have win2k pro. Is my CH pro rudders (non usb) compatible with saitek X's ?

Thx!

-vector

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
X45?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2001, 04:26:00 PM »
Hi Vector

The X45 is a direct replacement for the X36 so I'd go for the X45.  BTW I use a X36 at the moment and it's a good stick but it won't be supported in the future.

Regards

Nexx
NEXX

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
X45?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2001, 01:04:00 AM »
"Won't be supported"... well, the product is being retired, I guess, but I trust Saitek's future software will be compatible with the X36.

As far as I could gather, the differences between the X45 and the X36 are:

• one less button (the "mouse" button of the X36 throttle)
  • a differently shaped stick
  • lighted buttons (big deal  :) )

I also gathered that the software was changed with the X45. The new software isn't integrated with Internet Explorer, I heard (the previous software has sometimes been problematic because of that, according to some user groups). That software hasn't made available to X36 users yet.

Saitek may also have improved on the X36 design.

Note, however, that Saitek hasn't released any Win2k/XP compatible software. Neither the X36 software nor the X45 software will work with Windows 2000 or XP. Saitek has released drivers, but that means you can only program the joystick from the game, and some functions are not available.

For example, the X36 and X45 have rotary dials; they can be used as the axes they are (controlling rpm for example, or throttles) or can be used in "banded mode", in which you configure them to send a key when they're moved on way or the other. The banded mode is only available through the software. The same applies for the rudder rocker. That rocker can also be used in banded mode, if you already have rudder pedals, for example to control flaps.

You can't really use the mode and auxiliary switches without the Saitek software either.

But you can use the rest, yet without the software, only the main hat swith will act 8-way. The other hats will act like 4-way hats. (The 8-way capability for the other 3 hats is by software, not hardware).

Saitek Support told me by email that they should have Windows 2000/XP compatible software by the beginning of 2002. But rumors put the release in mid 2002.

And Saitek's track record isn't good. We've been promised Windows 2000 compatible software for Fall 2000, then January 2001, but we're still waiting for it a year later!

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
X45?
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2001, 04:05:00 AM »
Saitek reliability sucks Yak balls, at the same level as Hblair does.

Countless X-36’s pollute my storage room waiting to send them back to them with a hate note and a enough Pabst empties to consider lifting war rations on aluminum.

However, after vowing not to fly until the TM Cougar came out, I broke down and bought the X-45 . (logged 4 hours total this month, how I held off, not sure)

Anyway, its just like the X36. Great, programmable, cheap, but adds a spring for better feel, and it is just great!

Bug RangerBob for a setup and then tweak it to your needs.

It will be a heap of toejam in 5 months. Overall, pretty much fantastic for $75 bucks.

Of course it will go tit’s up soon, but boy does it do it all for little investment.

Buy it. Hate yourself later, then get another and have supreme control, and be happy with that.

It won’t give you a edge on Festardbria, but he sucks at Monopoly so it’s all how you address the games. You’ll be happy with the X45.

Carry On.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Creamo ]

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
X45?
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2001, 06:52:00 AM »
I had a go with the Couger yesterday, nice metal stick, rather stiff but will get some getting used to it.  Not sure when it's going to be available though?

As for the X36, well yeah, it's reliability does suck - I'm on my third but I keep sending them back whilst under warranty.  The main POV switch always wears out for me.

Regards

Nexx
NEXX

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
X45?
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2001, 08:34:00 AM »
Nexx : reaper has learned "how to" fix that , seems it isn't really wore out just needs a tape  "shim" put inside the hat . His telling me went over my head   :(
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
X45?
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2001, 12:13:00 PM »
I have the X36 and my HAT 1 is starting to wear out, I'm very interested to hear Reaper's suggestion on solving this prob.
I'm currently thinking of exchanging HAT 1 interior with HAT 2 interior (requires some soldering on printed circuit).

Another problem I had with the stick is that it didn't respond to HAT-1 'Up' and at the same time also no response from fire-button 3. This error only occured once in a while and because it was a combined error of several functions of the main stick, I suspected a faulted wire in the stick.
I took the stick apart but couldn't find a wire breach or faulted connection to the circuit boards. However when I fidled around with the wire bundle that runs from the top of the stick through the tube connection into the base of the stick the error went away. After some hours flying the error came back. After 2 weeks of flying with regular function errors i got so sick of it that I took the whole stick apart and rewired the cable bundle that connects the top of the stick to the main board in the base of the stick. It worked and the sticks performs fine now. It shows that  the design of this stick is not that great because even internal wire's wear out by usage of the stick. (I have this stick since just over a year)
But I still like the combo stick because of it's feel, direct response and all the programmable functions.

Reaper could you post your solution for the HAT-wearing-out problem?

Thx and <S>

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Apar ]

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
X45?
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2001, 12:15:00 PM »
I think I'm gonna save some money for the TM Cougar, it looks promising,    :)

On solving the wear-out of the HAT. The 'tape shim' idea sounds like a good one, i'll try that. Question I have for Reaper is wheter he put the tape on the head contact puttons (4) self or around the plactic interior extention of the HAT knob?

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
X45?
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2001, 12:51:00 PM »
No mouse button on the X45 throttle???  That's my WEP button, damn it!   :D  See if I upgrade to X45 when my X36 goes!
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
X45?
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2001, 06:02:00 PM »
X45 does have a mouse button :)  Even if it didn't you could still use the X36 throttle :)  The X45 throttle is the same as the X36,X45 has lighted buttons :)

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
X45?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2001, 08:52:00 PM »
There is a mouse button?  I couldn't see it on the (too small) picture.   :)

I used to have WEP on that button too, but the button doesn't work any more.   :(

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: DrSoya ]

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
X45?
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2001, 08:07:00 AM »
I prefer the feel of the X36 to my new X45 on the joystick. THat single spring thingy gives a strange resistance when making light inputs, it almost feels like it's sticking. Other than looking cool with the lights, I think it has nothing over the X36.

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Eagler ]
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline air_reaper

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.nctc.net/~predator
X45?
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2001, 07:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Apar:
I think I'm gonna save some money for the TM Cougar, it looks promising,     :)

On solving the wear-out of the HAT. The 'tape shim' idea sounds like a good one, i'll try that. Question I have for Reaper is wheter he put the tape on the head contact puttons (4) self or around the plactic interior extention of the HAT knob?

I put it around the interior extention on the hat. Works better then it ever did before.

2 1/2 yrs on my first x36 and better then new. A little maintenance and it will never die.

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
X45?
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2001, 02:58:00 AM »
Thanks Reaper, I will try that too,   :D

Have taken the stick apart so many times I could design my own stick by now,   :)

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
X45?
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2001, 02:00:00 PM »
Nice trick with the ducttape Reaper, it works great, thx    :)

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Apar ]