Author Topic: One shot , one kill  (Read 758 times)

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
One shot , one kill
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:23:23 AM »
I know some people in here are experts in the gv's. One thing I am trying to figure out is how some guys manage to kill a tank, any tank, from 1K or better out, with a single shot? I have been in tigers panzer ect. , and have been plugged and towered while rolling thru trees, hills ect. What tanks do you use to do this? I have used all of them and have hit other tanks in various places, and still can't achieve this.....drives me nuts....whats the secret?

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: One shot , one kill
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 07:35:27 AM »
Tankers get a really good feel for ranging based upon the size of the tank in their scopes.  I'm terrible in GVs but even I can range up to 1500yds out with only 2 shots, anything less than 1200 out is usually a one shot kill.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 08:45:47 AM »
In a lot of cases, a spawn camper will find a spot to sit and then fire off a couple of rounds at various objects near where someone is likely to spawn.  This gives them the range (they might even put their mouse cursor on that spot to mark the range).  Then when you spawn in, they just swing around, put their cursor on you (on a particular spot on you) and you're dead in one shot.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 03:08:54 PM »
Well there are alot of thing's that will help you to become better.  Heres a link to pictures of where to aim exactly for that 1shot kill.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,269006.0.html

For starters when you are zoomed in on a target and have your sites where you think the bullet will hit the bad guy, put your cursor on that distance line as a reference.  This will give you a basis for aiming up or down and save time.

2nd depending on what type of tank you are shooting at there are "kill zones" To kill a Tiger-shoot for the turret where it meets the body in a frontal attack, and in the same spot at bottom of turret for a side attack.  For the t34-85 as well as the t34-76-in a frontal attack aim for the bottom of the frontal armor, I like to call it a chin shot, and in attack on the side of t34's try to aim from the center of the tracks to 3/4 up the tracks.  When fighting a m4-firefly-an m4 may seem very intimidating which they are with that big gun, but go for that same kind of "chin shot" i mentioned earlier bottom of front armor and you will get a 1shot kill.  When fighting a Panzer, almost anyplace on a panzer when hit will result in a kill, but you may get a ricochet off of some points in the armor, I aim for the turret.

3rd Whenever possible try to shoot on level ground, shooting crooked may result in missing an easy shot that would have otherwise saved your life.

4th Whenever possible find some sort of dirt mound to park behind, the less of your tank you expose the harder it will be for them to hit you, and also if you park diagonal behind a hill in for example a sherman, most rounds that do hit you will ricochet off of your turret.

5th If your find yourself severely outnumbered supplies can be a lifesaver, a t34-85 parked behind a hill with only the turret exposed is impossible to die in.  The turret on a t34-85 is indestructible, and you will have 8 extra chances at surviving with supplies around.

6th If you find yourself wanting to spawn into a field and discover somebody has it camped, spawn in a perkless ride like a panzer and dont try to shoot first sortie, get into your pintle gun and scan for enemies before starting your engine.  Wait for the camper to fire a round and kill you, "important" make a mental note of where the round came from, now it is your turn.  You spawn in a t34-85 "which has the faster turret in the game" and spin that turret around to where they were sitting, now when they appear blast them and wait for the "you cheated accusations" lol.

7th  If you wish to take out the beast the Tiger, which it is when used properly.  Ask someone if they would mind setting out supplys for you before upping, if no one will run some out yourself before upping the Tiger.  It is important to put the supplys in a spot at least 2,500 yards from the tanks you will be shooting.  I recommend a hilltop, but never park with your Tiger facing downhill, as its turret is very weak, and this exposes you to shots on top of your turret.  At a range of over 2,500 yards, only truly skilled tank drivers will be able to kill you with supplies around.  So have fun putting a Tiger to good use, which isnt often done in Aces High.

If you go into your main gun and zoom all the way in, you can press F-8 and then use your number pad on the right of your keyboard to move the sights up and down.  What does this mean? That if your use to how the Shermans sights look, you can make your panzer sights match up with how the Shermans appear.  This works well with Panzer, Tiger, and T34-76 models.  The deault sight in the Sherman is showing all of the aim references, I align my sights even with 3,200 in the Panzer  salute  (ALWAYS park in neutral if your engine is off when firing or you will rock back and forth.unless your running your engine then it doesnt matter)

Thought of another GV tip:  Ok on certain maps you will find yourself shooting down on someone and you will most likely be shooting crooked.  The trick to hitting someone when shooting crooked is to put your mouse cursor where your last shell hit.
Say you see a tank and you take a shot at it, put your cursor where that shell lands.  Next put your cursor on the tank without moving it, fire again and if you miss put your cursor where this shell lands.  By this point you are within a few inches of the kill just adjust accordingly without moving your cursor.

Tip for shooting over small hills:::::
Position your tank so you can only see over hill with pintle gun..... Line your barrel up with pintle gun.... Now fire....Switch back to pintle gun real quick...once u see where your bullet lands you can sight with curser

And Finally always park with the front corner of your tank toward the enemy as it adds extra angles into where there rounds will hit you....thus causing ricochets.

<S>  Also the t34-85 is my ride of choice with the current gv setup...and the Tiger is you have the perks but dont park within 1500 yards of your enemy with it.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:10:37 PM by Belial »

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 03:47:15 PM »
Or, swear off gv's profanely, and fly a plane.  You could sometimes fly a F4UD with 1000# bombs and get a couple of one shot kills on the stinkin' mud crawlers yourownself.

That could just be me.

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 05:16:32 PM »
Belial,

Wow that was like tank 101...much appreciated....this will make practice a little easier! thnx :salute

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 06:15:42 PM »
Thanks feeder...If theres one more piece of advice I can give is practice!...and by practice I mean.   For 1 tour do nothing but spawn into feilds that you KNOW are camped and try to kill the campers.  Many will say I am just trying to get you camped but...you will learn how to AIM FAST, SHOOT TRUE, AND kill in 1! shot. 

Next tour you turn the tables and reverse the roles...set up a nice spot and let them come to you....your aim should now be much better.

I didn't start out well in gv's it took a while till I started to like them.  but after the 1 tour of being killed I guarantee you will be 100% more accurate and quick to aim.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 08:10:12 AM »
I can't say this enough.  Find a GV battle and plan on dieing a lot.  Keep upping though, because every engagement tightens your aim and ranging skills.  Do not give up, as you will improve!  After 3 years or so, I have gotten to  the point that I know my favorite tanks quirks and it's aimpoint, as well as estimated range of enemy based on the size of their vehicle in the gunsight.  Stay in one tank for a while.  Jumping vehicle to vehicle will quickly get your aim and ranges out of whack.

:salute

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 09:08:38 PM »
Offline up your tank. Drive away from one of the drone tanks untill its ICON is the max range on the main gun scope. Zoom in placing one of the red horizontal hashes below or above the tank and take a screen shot. Drive closer and repeat for all of the marked distances. Learn to judge the relative size of a con through the zoomed sight to the width of the red hash marks.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 02:00:41 AM »
Offline up your tank. Drive away from one of the drone tanks untill its ICON is the max range on the main gun scope. Zoom in placing one of the red horizontal hashes below or above the tank and take a screen shot. Drive closer and repeat for all of the marked distances. Learn to judge the relative size of a con through the zoomed sight to the width of the red hash marks.

If you decide on doing this, do note that the vehicle types of the offline drones can be changed. Options > Arena settings > Offline Drones. There will be a drop down menu with the list of aircraft and vehicles in alphabetical order.

Enjoy your tanking!
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline DeltaFox

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 11:07:36 AM »
Hi,

Go to Early War and hang with the SOAR gang for awhile. 

Those guys do things with gvs you would not believe.

It is all about finding specific spots to aim at and shoot to.

I have been killed sitting in a vehicle hangar (thinking I was perfectly safe) and got shot through one of the windows.

As the game evolves and changes, these guys evolve with it.  They game the game. 

Do not discount Early War and Mid War, most these guys are pretty good compared to Late War.

Your mileage may vary.  Some LW folks detest these guys.  LOL

I know some people in here are experts in the gv's. One thing I am trying to figure out is how some guys manage to kill a tank, any tank, from 1K or better out, with a single shot? I have been in tigers panzer ect. , and have been plugged and towered while rolling thru trees, hills ect. What tanks do you use to do this? I have used all of them and have hit other tanks in various places, and still can't achieve this.....drives me nuts....whats the secret?

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 11:18:52 AM »
Hi,

Go to Early War and hang with the SOAR gang for awhile. 

Those guys do things with gvs you would not believe.

It is all about finding specific spots to aim at and shoot to.

I have been killed sitting in a vehicle hangar (thinking I was perfectly safe) and got shot through one of the windows.

As the game evolves and changes, these guys evolve with it.  They game the game. 

Do not discount Early War and Mid War, most these guys are pretty good compared to Late War.

Your mileage may vary.  Some LW folks detest these guys.  LOL

I think better training can be found. :rolleyes:
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!