Author Topic: Merge Tactics  (Read 3122 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Merge Tactics
« on: July 15, 2010, 06:44:07 PM »
Ok said I would not continue this topic in the Dueling ladder thread.

so here is my Idea's of why the "textbook" merge is no good.

First why do we duel?   

I suppose it is different reasons for all of us, but I bet the thrill of competition...In something we enjoy doing IE cartoon Pie-lit :D
 is right up there in the reason, we DA or join the dueling ladder, to test our skills against others, and to be able to learn how to kill the red guy, as fast as possible, The DA is a training ground for the MA's.
if every fight in the MA was like the DA you will find yourself getting ganged and in the tower fast as....well you get my point....
so with this reasoning,  Would I be safe to say that EVERYONE who Duels wants to kill his opponent?
 and would be happy if they could do it as fast as possible?
Imagine you are about to face a con you know it is Grizz, or some other Ace,  Would you not want to be able to kill them with in the first turn? with out a HO, with them having NO gun solution?
say this is in the MA's and you are deep in nme territory and there is a gonga line of cons coming for you, if you merge with them the same way as the "textbook" merge, well..... we know where that leads...coffee in tower....

but you on the other hand,you Know the merge is where it's at, this will decide the fight, so you merge with every one of these cons coming to you with the intent of
A - avoiding the HO
B- killing them before the next guy gets here

Depending on what the con does,
is he coming straight at you in a classic HO?
is he vectoring his plane to get below you?
is he climbing with speed or de-throttling?

these things will decide where and how you position yourself at the actual "merge".

lets say it just so happens it's a rare HO.... :rofl

or "textbook" merge  he is flying straight at you slightly banked to the right (his left) i place him in the center of my forward right screen,
as I pass the con, I am already turning into him and Watching where he goes, This will allow me to decide what move I will do next,
was he full throttle passing me?
did he start to bank up-down-flat turn...

the rest is well....being able to land hits when needed, if ya cant do that, then the best merge in the world is squat.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
Re: Merge Tactics
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 06:53:24 PM »
here's a nice merge demo by Warkat. Remember him?

http://www.youtube.com/user/LordWarkat#p/u/16/psGuWKDX__o
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 07:06:31 PM »
Merge is one of my weakest areas IMO.  I lose more fights there than anywhere else.  I usually fly well enough to keep the bad guy from getting an advantage on me (usually) but when I hose the merge, I'm just flying on borrowed time.  I try to get lateral separation and lead turn usually, I don't too much care for the pass then move type of merge really, but when the con is diving you pretty much have to dive also or you're giving up angles right away.  Some of that can be counteracted somewhat by using lead turns, but if he turns a little to take your separation away while still diving,  and then you lead loop him, you've just given up a big chunk of angle right there.  If I'm fighting someone over and over, or different guys in the DA in informal 1v1s, I like to try out different stuff each fight.  I just haven't come up with anything that I feel like works consistently outside of the nose to nose and jockey for position merge.  It's a balancing act on trying to get separation and using a lead turn or loop, and not letting the bad guy take that separation away, while also trying not to give up too much e in the process. 

Just an area where I'm the most weak I think and need work.  Good topic Ink!

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:08:17 PM »
Merging in a duel situation is completely different then merging in the MA IMO. In a duel you only have 1 con to content with and keep an eye on. The MA on the other hand, you have to not only watch your guy but any others coming your way. The last thing i want to do when I'm outnumbered is to get to tight with one guy. If in a 51 I'd rather keep it fast and try to pull each one away by themselves to set up a better 1 on 1. If I don't do that then the planes like Spitfires and nikis and such would just turn me till I have nothing to work with.
I guess what I mean is, my merges in the MA all depend on what and how many I'm fighting. There is no set "do all" merge in that case. Dueling is harder for me because it's almost always in the same plane and fuel/ gun loadout as the other guy. That and i'm in those fights til the death where as the MA I can pull away and reset if need be...usually.

I've been trying to get out of the 51 more and into the 38 and am finding that the 38 seems to like a different, slower more vertical type of fight then what I'm used to. This also has had an effect on how I would merge with other planes.
Lighten up Francis

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:42:56 PM »
Ink, if you study some duelers you will notice alot of us don't just fly level into a crossing merge. Often both planes are using some form of lead turn and displacement prior to merge but the end result is still a nose-on-nose crossing merge. The old style of duel merge was more like what you describe, two planes fly level till they cross without dipping wingtips. Nowadays most often you will find alot more complex and tricky merge angles from people. That being true, the angle off approach is still a very dodgy tactic to employ in a DA merge. It's just asking for a quick death to not keep your nose on till flight paths cross. MA fighting is different, but the same priciples apply. Merging with cons in the Ma like you describe works, but only if the enemy is not sharp.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 07:49:39 PM »
At merge speeds 300+ and proper offset (separation, either vertical, horizontal or both) you start your lead turn quite early, but not too early to get belly shot (timing is the key). Hard to get HOed that way either in DA or in MA.

As to why we merge in DA differently? Duels are more of a sport, some fairness is required. Besides, after certain skill level, HOer has minor advantage. If both would go for HO (jousting), duel would end up even before fight starts, so, pretty pointless.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:32:03 PM »
If people are interested in improving their merge tactics, Rocketman's old merge lectures are a great resource.

Mastering the Merge

Even though it was written over 14 years ago for AW, it still pertains to AH.

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 08:45:44 PM »
Hey, thanks for the link Akak  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 08:55:26 PM »
If people are interested in improving their merge tactics, Rocketman's old merge lectures are a great resource.

Mastering the Merge

ack-ack

I remember printing that out and reading it many, many times over 14 years ago trying to figure out how to fly.

I also remember doing a whole heck of a lot of hand wagglin' trying to wrap my brains around it.

Great stuff.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 09:04:01 PM »

Mastering the Merge

ack-ack

I remember when he was writing that.  Talked about it at length when he was working it up.  He was helping me learn by killing me over and over and over and over again... 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 09:05:34 PM »
At merge speeds 300+ and proper offset (separation, either vertical, horizontal or both) you start your lead turn quite early, but not too early to get belly shot (timing is the key). Hard to get HOed that way either in DA or in MA.

As to why we merge in DA differently? Duels are more of a sport, some fairness is required. Besides, after certain skill level, HOer has minor advantage. If both would go for HO (jousting), duel would end up even before fight starts, so, pretty pointless.

Bighorn, I want to hook up with you again one of these days and work on more merge and fight type of stuff.  The stuff we've done before has been pretty helpful to me in the ma and in duels too. 

I thought in this thread we were discussing only da merges though, obviously, if you go that nose in to someone in the ma, you'll get hoed more often than not.

madda
The Musketeers Squadron

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 09:21:45 PM »
"...By initiating the turn into your opponent, you have gained "angles" on him..."

(quoted from the link Ack-Ack put up.)

this sounds an awful lot like what I describe. :headscratch:

Merging in a duel situation is completely different then merging in the MA IMO. In a duel you only have 1 con to content with and keep an eye on. The MA on the other hand, you have to not only watch your guy but any others coming your way. The last thing i want to do when I'm outnumbered is to get to tight with one guy. If in a 51 I'd rather keep it fast and try to pull each one away by themselves to set up a better 1 on 1. If I don't do that then the planes like Spitfires and nikis and such would just turn me till I have nothing to work with.
I guess what I mean is, my merges in the MA all depend on what and how many I'm fighting. There is no set "do all" merge in that case. Dueling is harder for me because it's almost always in the same plane and fuel/ gun loadout as the other guy. That and i'm in those fights til the death where as the MA I can pull away and reset if need be...usually.

I've been trying to get out of the 51 more and into the 38 and am finding that the 38 seems to like a different, slower more vertical type of fight then what I'm used to. This also has had an effect on how I would merge with other planes.

you should think of the DA as training for MA, thats what I do, and I deal with a merge no matter where I am the same, the intent of making a kill with out putting myself in there gun solution.

Ink, if you study some duelers you will notice alot of us don't just fly level into a crossing merge. Often both planes are using some form of lead turn and displacement prior to merge but the end result is still a nose-on-nose crossing merge. The old style of duel merge was more like what you describe, two planes fly level till they cross without dipping wingtips. Nowadays most often you will find alot more complex and tricky merge angles from people. That being true, the angle off approach is still a very dodgy tactic to employ in a DA merge. It's just asking for a quick death to not keep your nose on till flight paths cross. MA fighting is different, but the same priciples apply. Merging with cons in the Ma like you describe works, but only if the enemy is not sharp.

thats how it was in DA, when I first joined and I see a lot still doing it, I have dueled Grizz and he usually does not do it, when I saw the fights with TJ I was surprised by the Merge's.

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 10:15:01 PM »
If you master the flat turn merge like only a few in the game you get the first shot always, just depends on your gunnery.  The basic text book merge we all know of is really good if you know how to work your throttle and turn in early for the next turn.  As far as killing your enemy quick and to the point I believe just takes a lot of practice and many 1000s of duels to get your throttle, flap management, elevator trim, gunnery, and most important angles down.  Duel a top 10 stick in the game 100 times and watch there angles most people don't even understand the concept of angles until they do that. 
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 11:27:32 PM »
"...By initiating the turn into your opponent, you have gained "angles" on him..."

(quoted from the link Ack-Ack put up.)

this sounds an awful lot like what I describe. :headscratch:

Easier said than done.  The problem is that as you're gaining seperation your opponent will keep his nose on you gaining angles while negating your attempt to seperate.  Double trouble.

As I said in the other thread, that's why DA merges are almost always diving merges.  The only way to gain angles is to get below your opponent then nose up losing speed as he's gaining it and (in the MA) at the same time giving him a high deflection shot to try to track.

In dissimilar aircraft you can do what you say, particularily if you're in the better turning plane which I know you usually are.  In a similar plane match-up that will get you killed against a good stick.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 11:35:03 PM »
My personal experience after countless duels is that a tight immelman can/will beat a flat turn merge more times than not. I think that it gives you another dimension to utilize. It also gives you a bit more E to work with. The trick in mastering immel vs flat turn is either avoiding the shot that you sacrifice to your opponent if you try to rope him, or pulling tight enough to enter a scissors type fight.