Author Topic: Convergence Settings  (Read 1791 times)

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
Re: Convergence Settings
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 02:52:39 PM »
38s are hard to hit from a dead 6 position anyway. I have the best results using a deflection shot with the slim planes.

You obviously haven't spent time behind mine then!

:lol

mir
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 02:59:30 PM »
You obviously haven't spent time behind mine then!

:lol

mir
+1
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 03:22:54 PM »
30mms on the 110 set at even a distance of 300 flat will arc a pretty decent amount, and compared to the rest of the guns mounted on the 110 has a very slow velocity.  Personaly I can't stand how high they will arc at the close ranges when set at a convergence greater than 300...  or their tendancy to drop like a brick if set to a convergence much closer than that.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline milesobrian

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 03:30:29 PM »
I've done the exact opposite, set the machine guns to 400 and the cannon at either 425 or 450 with the following reasoning (which I freely admit may be faulty, irrelevant, or both).  The muzzle velocity of the cannon is going to be a little lower than the browning .50, with that in mind the cannon round is going to reach the target slightly after the machine gun round.  If the plane is in a turn, "lofting" the cannon round a little bit more will give just a little more lead and hopefully mean it lands in same position as the MG's are.

*edits*
Upon further considerations there very well could be a mistake or two in my reasoning. :)e

very interesting theory honestly ive always thought about this too... since i fly the 109 alot, sometimes i think i should do what you have done.

Any input from the experts would be welcome

should i set my cannon conv. slight higher than the machine guns.

or could you rely on the round velocity as the indicator of this as well, is that a sound theory.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »

very interesting theory honestly ive always thought about this too... since i fly the 109 alot, sometimes i think i should do what you have done.

Any input from the experts would be welcome

should i set my cannon conv. slight higher than the machine guns.

or could you rely on the round velocity as the indicator of this as well, is that a sound theory.

As was pointed out to me via PM there may be a flaw in my reasoning.  A closer in convergence would in theory mean the gun would be elevated more in order to reach the convergence point, so I have had things backwards. :)

I also could have spent the last several years misunderstanding the range to target, this thread has been all kinds of educational.  :lol
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:41:41 PM by Soulyss »
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline themaj

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 03:51:33 PM »
There are a few variables I try to take into account, I typically set my convergence somewhere between 300 and 400 since historically I've flown aircraft armed with a battery of .50 cal MG's.  I also tend to fiddle with the setting a lot, more because I have a hard time leaving things be than any actually benefit in game.  Back when I was flying the F6F more frequently I tended to set my guns to 375 because the icon range indicator skipped 300, it went 600, 400, 200 and I figured if I waited till I saw 400 then fired with a convergence of 350-375 I'd hit right at convergence (assuming I was closing).

This is the conclusion that I've come to as well, and still "fly by". Works like a charm for the 51b for me :rock
Jagdgeschwader 54 Grünherz

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »
I likes

Tater birds (mk 108)  200 to 350 for the 30mm ..save the 262 I like 350 top and 500 bottom mk 108 batteries

Russian 37mm 400

never tried the Olds in the 39s so no comment

50s 300 to 400
Hispanos 300 to 400
Mg151/20 ( german 20mm ) 225
Mg/FF     225 as well ( early german 20mm)
Ho cannons ( jap ) 250 to 300
30cals set 225

Alot of shooting well involves setting up your shots more than convergence ( close range crossing shots rule in 30mm birds and are highly effective with most gun packs......more so than dead six spray and pray).....try to prepempt your enemies angles and arrive with your nose in a favorable position early by a few seconds. .  Also try a dot of death or other uncluttered gunsight. These things have helped me enormously of late ( check out the help and training sections Grizz has some cool threads regarding shot setup and what not)
 :salute

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 04:28:33 PM by BillyD »
*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 04:31:40 PM »
The biggest factor with convergence is the psychological one. Set yours to 600 and you'll find yourself saddleing up at 600+ yards spraying and stuck at that 600 yard range. Set it to 300ish and you'll manuever to get in close before firing and your weapons will be much more effective. 3 football (American) fields is still a healthy distance.

This trick worked on my meger brain anyhow.
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 04:35:22 PM »
As was pointed out to me via PM there may be a flaw in my reasoning.  A closer in convergence would in theory mean the gun would be elevated more in order to reach the convergence point, so I have had things backwards. :)

Please share. I'm really curious/dubious about this theory.
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 04:44:47 PM »
I was told 400 was a good convergence when i started. I've used it ever since.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »
Please share. I'm really curious/dubious about this theory.

If I understood what he was saying correctly then I'll use an example that will hopefully make it clear.  Picture a blank wall, on the wall mark a point with a pencil at roughly eye level.  Get a lazer pointer, hold it at waist height and stand back 10 paces and make a note of how much an angle you have to hold the lazer pointer to put a dot on the sight.  Now step forward so that you're only a couple feet from the wall and point the lazer pointer at the dot.  In order to hit the convergence spot (the wall) you have to hold the pointer a higher elevation/angle the closer you are.  

That's the thought at any rate, I'm going to have to do some testing next time I'm in the TA.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 05:46:33 PM »
I once extended my convergence all the way out to 200 yards for air-to-air.   Man, that was way, way out there.

In attack mode, and typically in blue CV birds, I'll extend all the way out to maximum, then stagger the second and third guns at 100 yards between each.   This seems to help me hit ack guns.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 06:04:27 PM »
30mms on the 110 set at even a distance of 300 flat will arc a pretty decent amount, and compared to the rest of the guns mounted on the 110 has a very slow velocity.  Personaly I can't stand how high they will arc at the close ranges when set at a convergence greater than 300...  or their tendancy to drop like a brick if set to a convergence much closer than that.

i'll try that next time. i had them set out a bit, as i was using it to straffe a vbase. the 38 came in, to stop our gv's, and that's probably the only reason i was able to saddle up on him. i don't fly the 110 for much besides ground attack........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 06:07:58 PM »
If I understood what he was saying correctly then I'll use an example that will hopefully make it clear.  Picture a blank wall, on the wall mark a point with a pencil at roughly eye level.  Get a lazer pointer, hold it at waist height and stand back 10 paces and make a note of how much an angle you have to hold the lazer pointer to put a dot on the sight.  Now step forward so that you're only a couple feet from the wall and point the lazer pointer at the dot.  In order to hit the convergence spot (the wall) you have to hold the pointer a higher elevation/angle the closer you are.  

That's the thought at any rate, I'm going to have to do some testing next time I'm in the TA.

that kind of makes sense. i can see some of us trying that though, and lobbing our rounds right over the targets head at 400 though.  :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 07:10:01 PM »
I want to pause a moment and first say thanks for all of the info.  There's a lot of stuff in here I'll be trying offline to see what fits me and my 'style' (flopping around badly and making a lovely target of myself) and also to point out to the very new guys that if you ask an intelligent question on this board the aces of the game both friend and foe will descend with their points of view.  The old vets and the truly gifted flyers want you to get better because they love the challenge of a good fight.

Personally I can't wait till I get all my ducks back in a row and can help a new guy out to a point where I can pass him on to an ace or two I'm familiar with.  Frankly that was one of my favorite parts of the game.  Meeting a new guy in the TA, teaching him the basics of flight, playing target for him, teaching him the radio and the basic dot commands, etiquette, and then passing them on to a trainer when they passed my level of teaching.   

USE the TA.  These guys know what they're talking about.  The trainer corps is a top notch group of people and they can help you. 

Correct me if I'm wrong gents. 

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute