Author Topic: Classic screwups - can you top this?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: Classic screwups - can you top this?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 04:30:31 PM »
Yep, see elsewhere on this bbs - the Dora loses something like that for the drop rack. I also believe empty Granatwerfer tubes cost you.
P47-D25 Rocket tubes do the same. they cause drag
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 07:57:37 PM »
I've done the B-25H thing, trying to fire my bombs out of the 75mm cannon.  I've done the troop thing, bringing field supplies instead of troops in my case (at least the v-sups would have been a lil more helpful with the few friendly gv's that were in town).  But, I'd have to say, bringing torpedo's (in 88's) to knock out a vh, yeah... :o  :joystick:  Another is one is, when I upped to take out some hangers in bombers, get calibrated and drop, only to realize as my bombs are being released that the salvo was set to sink a CV.  :rofl
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 10:42:37 PM »
I've had more than one dogfight in which I flew, unknowingly, a gravid Mossie with eggs in her belly.  The thing about the Mossie is she hides it from you as you don't lose significant speed to those...

(Mossie rocket rails + rockets cost you 29mph on the deck, just the rails after the rockets are gone cost you 19mph)
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
I flew to the enemy base, attacked, flew home, rearmed, and attacked again.  Couldn't figure out why my bombs weren't exploding.  Then I realized I was upping with drop tanks instead of bombs.   :banana:
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 11:05:37 PM »
We could make this a weekly or monthly thread.  Each Monday we report our dumb mistakes of the preceding week.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 11:12:40 PM »
It has become a tradition in the Virtual 91st Bomb Group do do similar to what the real life bomb group did for a laugh in WW2 after screw-ups were made. In our group, after someone does something stupid (such as accidentally belly-land, or fly well, but taxi a wing off on a hangar, or run a big bomber mission into a hillside), we bring out the 91st salute known as the Rigid Digit:

example: <RD> thndrEGG.

I would post an historical photograph of Col. Stanely T. Wray, (C.O. of the 91st Bomb Group) demonstrating the "Rigid Digit", but Skuzzy previously demonstrated his omnipitent BBS powers as a result.

You will find it in this book, which is a great read: 
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Makoyouidiot

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 11:20:04 PM »
Ok, so earlier tonight, I was attacking a flight of bombers in a Hurricane MK 1, just pumping them full of .303's, and not taking any hits. As I was passing underneath them, I checked six, and there was a 51 hot on me, so I reflexively yanked hard back and right on the stick while applying left rudder, and my lovely Hurricane rolled smartly, then skidded upwards...into the belly of one of the B-24's I was shooting at. *poof*
Formerly known as Mako15, MakoShrk, and MattiasK, now flying as Matty, on long term leave.

"It's MAKO, you IDIOT!"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 11:23:12 PM »
Wow.  You guys are losers.   :rofl   :D
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 01:16:24 AM »
I did a mission one night and I volunteered to take the goon, after 20 mins of NOE flight, and 10 mins of waiting on ground I got the OK from a squaddie, I get airbourne get up to the town and open the door.

When what to my wandering eyes appear as I release "troops"? Well let's put it to ya this way the smoking wirble in town got the needed supplies he had been asking for....

13 kills later (including myself) I get a big thank you from the other player, from my fellow country men I got cussed out.

Can you say DOH!!!
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 02:34:38 AM »
It has become a tradition in the Virtual 91st Bomb Group do do similar to what the real life bomb group did for a laugh in WW2 after screw-ups were made. In our group, after someone does something stupid (such as accidentally belly-land, or fly well, but taxi a wing off on a hangar, or run a big bomber mission into a hillside), we bring out the 91st salute known as the Rigid Digit:

example: <RD> thndrEGG.

I would post an historical photograph of Col. Stanely T. Wray, (C.O. of the 91st Bomb Group) demonstrating the "Rigid Digit", but Skuzzy previously demonstrated his omnipitent BBS powers as a result.

You will find it in this book, which is a great read: 
(Image removed from quote.)

The RAF referred to it as "Finger Trouble"  :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 08:17:22 AM »

The RAF referred to it as "Finger Trouble"  :)

:lol
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 08:27:41 AM »
Last weekend I log on with cup of coffee in hand and over vox 1st comment is squaadie on deck rtb/oil leak with 3-4 cons in trail on the deck. NP I grab a barbiefire and go flying out at 3k on wep sipping my coffee....after a few minutes I've got vis and keep my offest and dive back down to tree top level. They see me and pull of the squaddie ...so I drive on thru the gap figuring to get them pulling G's and convert to a sweeping low G zoom........................G lider :furious :furious :furious :furious :O :confused: :headscratch: :joystick: :joystick:

Needless to say I was there waiting in the tower still sipping my coffee when said squaddie arrived :D

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 11:19:38 AM »

dive bombing with ar234 and hit ratos instead of bombs = rocket powerd lawn dart  :furious

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 01:59:10 PM »
Mensa once asked me to clear his 6 of three cons. I told him I'd be right there after stirring my margarita. He had the nerve to get shot down before I could get there.

These young folks these days have no patience.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 02:49:12 PM »
One of the first times I upped a 262.  I was around 12k defending a port.  My gunnery was actually worse than it is now (amazing i know) so every fighter I engaged never even chipped their paint. I look down over my right wing and spot a flight of B-26s at around 5-6k. I rolled to the right and dropped in. I passed by the 26s at around 700 mph and left a nice hole on the beach.  What did I learn? Apparently when you dive at a 70 degree angle at full throttle in a 262 you compress very quickly.  :furious
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA