Author Topic: Hurricane IID S guns  (Read 882 times)

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
Hurricane IID S guns
« on: July 20, 2010, 01:51:09 PM »
Hi guys I was Just looking up ammo for the Vickers "S" gun that is used on the 2D, and I read about it using HE rounds as well, for soft targets such as trucks and troops, and guns, I remember being told that the S gun we have in AH is modelled with AP ammo, also, I don't know if the source I have is correct, but there was also talk of using the gun with a little john adapter. The adaptor took the form of a reducing bore that was screwed onto the end of the gun. This was coupled with a round formed from a hard core (tungsten) inside a softer metal casing - the Armour-Piercing, Composite Non-Rigid (APCNR) design. The round upon firing travelled the first part of the bore as normal. On entering the tapering portion the softer and malleable metal of the outer shell of the round was compressed - from 40 mm to around 30 mm. The round when it emerged from the adaptor now had a smaller cross-section compared to its weight. Together with the higher pressure developed in the barrel of diminishing internal volume compared to standard cylindrical bore, the APCNR round, called APSV (from armour-piercing super velocity), travelled faster, over a flatter trajectory. The higher velocity at impact was concentrated in the hard core alone. here is a picture of the little john round compaired to the normal 40mm AP round: the little john round being on the left. most of the info, including a chart that shows the AP capability's of the "LJ" compaired to a normal AP round can be found here
http://www.wwiiequipment.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97:vickers-40mm-qsq-gun&catid=44:gunsrockets&Itemid=60   So in the future, what do you guys think the chances of something like this ever being added are? and how do you think it would affect game play? ie make the 2D more popular or not?

Sorry for the long read, I appreciate your time :)

EDIT: The little John Is the one on the Right not Left
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 02:01:31 PM by Imowface »
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
Re: Hurricane IID S guns
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 03:30:18 PM »
Very interesting find here!  :aok

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 03:38:18 PM »

HHMMM the little John looks as though its been completely designed for penetration sweet HiTech can we have it PLEASE

Nice find  :salute
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 05:32:45 PM »
Hm...  if they did in fact use HE as well, I'd hope HTC would seriously consider allowing the players to pick their ammo type in the hanger.  %100 AP or %100 HE, I doubt they mixed the ammo load since the ammo load was so small and the missions were specific.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 05:38:14 PM »
yeah, they wouldnt have mixed ammo, If it ever did get make the game, I could see it set as 2x 40mm Vickers S Gun AP 15 rpg or
2x 40mm Vickers S Gun HE 15 rpg and finaly 2x 40mm Vickers S Gun APSV 15 rpg
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 05:39:36 PM »
Reading unlike Sex, Drugs, Booze, and good intentions is a skill that has to be seriously practiced for many reasons.

From the Article:

The guns were found to be very accurate, I've seen most books/websites stating a figure of around 30% but this seems to be low, in trials carried out in April 1942 figures of between 53% and 67% was given and in early trials figures of up to 80-100% had been shown, so in combat figures around 30-50% would probably be reasonable. This is much greater than rockets but the fact that virtually any aircraft could be easy modified to carry rockets was a great advantage so by 1943/44 the Hurricane IID was declared obsolete.

Generally a 3lb AP shot was fired by the Vickers S Guns, initially this was not fitted with a tracer but to improve accuracy a tracer was fitted towards the end of 1942. Also High Explosive ammunition was produced from August 1942. A littlejohn adaptor was developed for the Vickers gun but this does not seem to have been adapted.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 05:45:29 PM »
well, unfortunately it appears I skimed over that part, which is a pity because another source states it would penetrate 88mm from 240 mph at a 30 degree angle, oh well,m I guess I will look into the HE rounds more extensively
Ла-5 Пилот снова

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 06:54:39 PM »
Ah but i bet you also didn't know is that a Squadron of Hurricane IIc's in England was chosen to do the combat trials for Rocket's as well as a Beaufighter Squadron and the Hurricane proved to an effective Rocket firing platform due to its wing design. Which ultimately was why the Typhoon was used in the tank busting roll as well as normal ground attacks. As Hawker Had as we all know tried to develop a multiroll aircraft ie grnd attack as well as a fighter but as we also know that if you do that the plane will ultimately end up being better at one than the other.

Go on take the mick if you like :lol

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 08:48:42 PM »
Hurricane MKIV Is the rocket capable plane you are talking about
Ла-5 Пилот снова

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 11:28:43 AM »
Hurricane MKIV Is the rocket capable plane you are talking about

Yeh thanks we shaould ask for that mark in the game.  :aok :D :D

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 03:11:36 PM »
Would be nice to have it in game, but I fear that since it is basically a MKIID which is a bit faster and could carry rockets it still wouldn't see much use, which is a shame, because the hurricane is a very capable plane in all of its variants
Ла-5 Пилот снова

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 03:34:08 PM »

No Harm in Asking :)  :D :rock :salute