Author Topic: external engine vs internal one  (Read 1083 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: external engine vs internal one
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 08:42:02 AM »
You ever been in a P-51 and heard anything other than the absolute roar of the engine?  Yeah, you might be able to "feel" the gear extending, or notice the nose down pitch of an airliner once flaps get extended, but that's from the relative quiet of the cabin.  I flew formation with a couple of other aircraft in my Grumman, and I couldn't hear them 50 feet away.  I could never hear my flaps going down--I had to watch them go down or come up to know where they were.

The thing is, you have been used to playing the game with all of these auditory ques that wouldn't exist in real life.  I like the new settings.  I barely get a whisper when flaps or gear deploy--the way it should be.  I can't turn down my engine noise to nothing and hear all the bad guys sneaking up on me.  If you were just joining Aces High 2, you wouldn't be complaining--ignorance is bliss.

Nice post Von...

But that is exactly what made this game fun, all the different sounds.  flaps, landing gear, explosions, cannon sound, mg sound, etc. when ht first switched to the miles system a couple of months ago, I loved it.  I had no problems whatsoever, all the sounds were so much clearer, voice was better, it was awesome.  Which is how it is now with the exception that some sounds are gone. with the beta release of a couple of weeks ago, my fr was horrible, now it is better than ever.  To be honest it drives me crazy to hear the constant loud humming of the engine and that is really a problem with me and If i lower the sound of it, then all the other sounds are lowered to and that is the problem.  I spend around $700 building the computer and about $400 on headphones/speakers/sound card, so i can hear all the distinctive sounds, because that was just as important to me as flying.  right there with the awesome graphics we have now.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Flayed

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 12:35:16 PM »
  I really have no issue with the sound as it is though I do miss hearing the flaps and gear a bit BUT being able to turn your engine sound down so you can hear an enemy con coming in behind you is no better than a cheat code in my opinion.    I how ever don't see a problem with it as long as external engine sounds are turned down along with internal sounds to eliminate said cheat. You want to know when a con is on your 6? Then try looking behind you once in a while.
Bringing peace to the MA's 1 explody thingy at a time! :)

Pork em Pork em all!!!
  And the best quote EVERRRRR!!!
"All I can say is wow,some people are really stuck on stupid."
HiTech

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »
You ever been in a P-51 and heard anything other than the absolute roar of the engine?  Yeah, you might be able to "feel" the gear extending, or notice the nose down pitch of an airliner once flaps get extended, but that's from the relative quiet of the cabin.  ....

My point exactly Stoney.  Now if this was a wishlist then adding visual graphic cues like shake, blur or bump when damage occurs or flaps or gear click into place would be the topic.  Imagine the realistic feel of trying to calibrate your bomber as it is tossed around the skies by flak explosions.  Who here would not want that kind of "feel".

Just my opinion.  LOUD engine noise, is just going to get turned down and does nothing to add to my "feel" of flight.  The simple fact that another similar thread started because a player is "feeling" that he is stalling sooner should give you a clue.   

This might be a more realistic sound (LOUD AS HELL), but masking other cues, flying now "feels" neutered.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:45:42 PM by Chilli »

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 02:49:59 PM »
Nevermind,  Fixed  :aok

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 05:31:12 PM »
My point exactly Stoney. 

That comment was intended to qualify his remarks of flying in an airliner and experiencing those auditory or physical changes, not in the P-51 cockpit.  I didn't word that clearly.  Additionally, there is quite a lot of You Tube footage taken from inside a P-51 during takeoff and landing.  I'm not sure about the flaps, but I didn't hear the gear cycle in any of them.  But, I'm arguing semantics at this point. 
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech