Author Topic: $35 computer and Steve Jobs... Eat your heart out  (Read 2128 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: $35 computer and Steve Jobs... Eat your heart out
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 08:20:56 AM »
btw what does this have to do with jobs? :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 01:13:01 PM »
jobs main idea was for everychild (or was it classroom) to have a computer.  That was back in 82 when I was in highschool.  As you can see it is still not done.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 07:02:40 PM »
jobs main idea was for everychild (or was it classroom) to have a computer.  That was back in 82 when I was in highschool.  As you can see it is still not done.

semp

I think the Steve Jobs reference is more due to the fact that this is basically an iPad clone and someone was able to make and sell one for lot less than what Apple makes and sells one for.  Unfortunately, the OP didn't take into account that this computer is not intended nor was it designed to be intended for the mass consumer market.  It is basically a specialized niche product with one consumer target in mind, unlike the iPad.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 09:06:44 PM »
No what I am looking at is the fact that it is the first iPad like device (small and portable) that is also affordable. There will be more in the next six months and while Apple will probably be the better of them all I expect by Christmas there will be some for under $100. The Jobs comment was a poke at the ridiculous price they have on the iPad and the fact that Jobs like to think of the iPads already sold as still being his property.

I guess the Library of Congress set him straight on that though.  :aok
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 08:21:28 AM »
aww ok. cant see anyone else bothering with releasing a tablet though, after all whats the point if they are such pointless, fundamentally flawed devices with no market waiting to buy them? like everyone said when the iPad was released ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 03:54:25 PM »
Ha! Everyone that owns an iPad is now saying they dont know how they got along without one! Take the Apple logo off and the price will come down AND probably have greater functionality. For now the only competition the iPad has is from book readers like Nook and Kindle etc. All it would take is someone like Gates to come along with a better one at a more reasonable price. Like the PC war with MAC Gates proved Jobs approach was better served to a smaller market share while his approach took the lions share. Carry that thinking forward and I believe you will see the market has only just been scratched.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2010, 01:33:57 AM »
Ha! Everyone that owns an iPad is now saying they dont know how they got along without one! Take the Apple logo off and the price will come down AND probably have greater functionality. For now the only competition the iPad has is from book readers like Nook and Kindle etc. All it would take is someone like Gates to come along with a better one at a more reasonable price. Like the PC war with MAC Gates proved Jobs approach was better served to a smaller market share while his approach took the lions share. Carry that thinking forward and I believe you will see the market has only just been scratched.

Already has.. $132 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.39448~r.34774240
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2010, 10:28:32 AM »
lol the wait and see what Apple does then produce a tattier, cheaper version strategy doesnt seem to be working that well for MS. examples: Vista, Courier tablet, Zune music player (and store), Kin phone ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »
I think in the case of this iPad device that it wont be Microsoft anyway. Zune marketplace is far superior to the iTunes trap.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 02:12:23 AM »
Microsoft is fighting an uphill battle. I think that it will have hard times ahead.

Apple does everything just better - the only downside is being stuck with Apple hardware and cost.

As for tablets, MS is no competitor. Google with its Android is growing at an alarming rate. I'm afraid Google will be the next microsoft and we can only 'guess' what will happen to its 'embassador of free' status once all competition is killed out.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 09:14:28 AM »
Apple does everything just better - the only downside is being stuck with Apple hardware and cost.

Im sorry this has to be the quote (and laugh) of the year.  :D

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 09:25:44 AM »
agree chalenge, apple does do stuff just ... better, but anyone who knows what TCO stands for knows the "apple is expensive" stuff is a myth :D
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 10:34:35 AM »
Neither one of them do poop for tech support. MS charges you for every second of contact and Apple just makes you buy new. Neither one ever accepts blame its always the consumer and anything you buy from either one is still 'theirs' and not yours.

Better? No just different. If Apple was just 'better' all the way around then they would have the MS share of the market. So even if MS is the lesser path of quality (I wouldnt argue that) they still own the market (for now).

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 10:55:58 AM »
the market says OSX is "better" than MS OSes. Apple have maintained a market share despite their OS costing up to 4x what MS's Oses do, and being tied to Apple hardware. Users are prepared to pay a significant premium to use OSX over MS OS. listen up, the market has spoken :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 11:06:31 AM »
PART of the market doesnt make the market. Apple is only 8% of the market.

Remember the '1984' ad for Mac? Turned out its Jobs that plays the part of 'Big Brother.'