Author Topic: The new CV guns  (Read 4308 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: The new CV guns
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 12:31:44 PM »
the first time i saw one I was flying at 14,000ft in an F4u-4. It came up from a hidden CV and first saw it as it was climbing past me. I thought it was a UFO and tried to chase it but it was way too fast and vanished over the horizon. I was convinced it was a UfO and saved the film. Only later to see a close up CV battle and firgure out the mystery.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 12:39:05 PM »
There are countless reams of film footage of battleships firing their main guns and I have yet to see any "trails" of any type. :salute

RealDeal

I was present at a location in VietNam while the USS New Jersey was performing a firing mission on some poor bastards inland from my location.  The air was very warm and thick.  You could see what appeared to be a vapor trail for at least part of the flight of the round,  as the round traveled up its trajectory.  The round is traveling at 2690 Ft per Second that’s better than twice the speed of sound.  It’s a large round, perhaps 2500 lb or better.  I got to think that moving that fast with that much mass, the air that it moves through must suffer the same fate as any large wing moving through the air at altitude and produce a visible vapor trail.  The vapor appears because the wing moving through the air produces a pressure drop and if the Temperature and dew point are close enough , you see vapor.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 12:40:49 PM »
Amazing you could actually recruit that much suck into one squad.
Your Proctologist called, they found your head.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 01:11:09 PM »
Battle of the Coral Sea and Midway are just two of many examples.

ack-ack

Midway, the US and nme CV groups were never closer than about 250 miles. 
Coral Sea, was a little closer and Flecher was recalled to Perl got to think it was to explain the loss of the Lex.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Harp00n

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2010, 01:35:13 PM »
Since we have no rangefinders it´s at least a helpful addition.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 01:45:12 PM »
Midway, the US and nme CV groups were never closer than about 250 miles. 
Coral Sea, was a little closer and Flecher was recalled to Perl got to think it was to explain the loss of the Lex.

Doesn't matter the distance between both CV task forces, the fact is those two battles are just a couple of examples of CV task forces looking for a sea battle.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 02:09:44 PM »
Doesn't matter the distance between both CV task forces, the fact is those two battles are just a couple of examples of CV task forces looking for a sea battle.

ack-ack

Yes, but in both cases neither was looking to be seen.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2010, 02:38:16 PM »
There is a difference between looking for to engage another task force in battle, and looking for a direct sea battle. The U.S. fleets were looking for the Japanese fleets in order to attack them with their aircraft. They were not looking for the Japanese fleets in order to engage them in a direct sea battle. The U.S. fleets lacked heavy battleships at the time, and would not have fared well at all in a gun duel. Later, when the new U.S. battleships had joined the fleet, and the resurrected ghosts of Pearl Harbor were there as well, Halsey, at least, was actively seeking a direct sea battle and a gun duel with the Japanese.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 03:05:58 PM »
Yes, but in both cases neither was looking to be seen.

I think the point got lost somewhere. The trails aren't there because the CV wants to be seen, they're there (partly, anyway) because it doesn't want to be seen but making them more visible is good for gameplay.

Still wish they'd flash the field at 12.5 miles, though - smoke trails don't help if nobody's in the tower because there's no reason to suspect the base is under attack. (The Navy did have surface search radar back then, you know...)

As for realism, yeah, they look too much like rockets, but I like not-too-real trails better than none at all. And one thing they make up for is the visibility of the gun flashes from big guns, which isn't really modeled in the game. (Now all we need is a BB task force!)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 03:13:24 PM »
how about some High altitude vapor trails that fade out like the shells do and  some wingtip vortices when someone is pulling High G!  

+1  :aok
Who is John Galt?

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 03:41:26 PM »
  I miss the torpedo trails. Don't know where the heck those things go now.  :uhoh

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »
I observed the 60th VC Battalion getting pummeled by the USS Galveston,a CA.,during Operation Starlite,a few years back.I didn't see any rocket like streamers on their broadsides as they came in.I seen artillery rounds from the 12th Marines chewing up the VC,but no trails from rounds.Thats my 2 cents.I think the rocket like rounds coming from the CV group look dorky.I could care less about giving away the location of the CV group.
Dobe

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2010, 04:50:37 PM »
Every thing HTC has done in the last patch is to promote furballing.....can't even somewhat sneak up on anything anymore.

Might as well put up a big bright arrow over the CV! :furious

Yeah, cause EVERYONE knows that no one would pay attention to 8 inch shells exploding all over the
place unless there were vapor trails to spot them coming in  :rolleyes:  I know it's hard to grasp, but
when you are shelling a target, the time for "stealth" is over.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 06:27:41 PM »
I haven't seen anyone give the most obvious answer to this change . . .

It is to stop all the whining of "teh spiez in the SB not firing at the CV".  Now you will be able to clearly see that they are indeed shooting.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 07:57:54 PM »
Every thing HTC has done in the last patch is to promote furballing.....can't even somewhat sneak up on anything anymore.

Might as well put up a big bright arrow over the CV! :furious
Don't give him any ideas. LOL.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com