Author Topic: The new CV guns  (Read 4312 times)

Offline milesobrian

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
The new CV guns
« on: July 28, 2010, 09:42:16 PM »
Greetings,
I noticed when the patch came out a week ago, that the update adds the effect to the big CV guns to give them trails.  Personally i like this effect and it has a huge strategic importance as it can help to indicate where the CV is.  However i was wondering is this how it was during the war, could  troops see these huge rounds streak through the sky, or was it an effect that only pilots could see?  Any additional information would be helpful and i would be grateful to learn more about this topic. 

For all i know the company just  added this effect to help you locate CV or so it could help you realize you are getting shelled.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: The new CV guns
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:49:14 PM »
Greetings,
I noticed when the patch came out a week ago, that the update adds the effect to the big CV guns to give them trails.  Personally i like this effect and it has a huge strategic importance as it can help to indicate where the CV is.  However i was wondering is this how it was during the war, could  troops see these huge rounds streak through the sky, or was it an effect that only pilots could see?  Any additional information would be helpful and i would be grateful to learn more about this topic. 

For all i know the company just  added this effect to help you locate CV or so it could help you realize you are getting shelled.

I was wondering the same thing.  I would image that they could see trails, a 16 inch artillery shell breaking thou the air.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:13:19 PM »
how about some High altitude vapor trails that fade out like the shells do and  some wingtip vortices when someone is pulling High G!  

Our machines can handle it I promise!
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 11:08:41 PM »
I would imagine the large shells did have trails, but not all the time as it would depends on the weather conditions.

I doubt HTC would purposely do something that's unrealistic.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:26:13 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 11:15:23 PM »
I would imagine the large shells did have trails, but not all the time as they would depends on the weather conditions.

I doubt HTC would purposely do something that's unrealistic.

Missing a ?

I think the trails are the easy and quick answer to the "dyed splashes" wish with the unintended anti-sneaky-shelling results.

Otherwise, unless it had a tracer in it's butt or you saw the actual shell flying through the air, other than anomalies of weather such as very high humidity, you would not see a trail.

The shells are not hot, they do not have their own propellant.  There would be nothing to see.

I have seen accounts of people seeing the actual shells but not what like we have.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline RealDeal

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 11:24:58 PM »
There are countless reams of film footage of battleships firing their main guns and I have yet to see any "trails" of any type. :salute

RealDeal
~BParker~
SHADE

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 11:51:26 PM »
Another concession perhaps for game play, similar to one bomber pilot- three bombers?
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 12:46:43 AM »
Wow wrongway go to your corner.  :D
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline milesobrian

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 01:06:10 AM »
There are countless reams of film footage of battleships firing their main guns and I have yet to see any "trails" of any type. :salute

RealDeal

This is why i am confused.  I wasnt there and at the time the films produced were of questionable quality and may not have been able to record certain things.

so why did they add it??  to help locate the CV or to know if they are attacking?

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 01:07:30 AM »
Looks awesome to watch though. :lol

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 01:12:05 AM »

This is why i am confused.  I wasnt there and at the time the films produced were of questionable quality and may not have been able to record certain things.

so why did they add it??  to help locate the CV or to know if they are attacking?

wrgwy touched on it, there have many many requests for some kind of system to track your shells.  Prior to the update, it was very difficult to tell what shells were your own while firing at a target.  This system allows you to track the shells and figure out what adjustments need to be made to your shot.  I don't think it's a perfect system, can they not design it so that only the shooter can see them?  Anyway, as ThndrEGG said, it's probably a concession to improve game play.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 01:17:52 AM »
Looks awesome to watch though. :lol

Confused the crap outa me the first time I saw it. I was making a torpedo run at a CV with most of the ack down, and when I saw the trails, I exlaimed "Oh chit!! The cruiser is shooting rockets at me" (one almost hit my plane).
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Flayed

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 01:47:02 AM »
I remember back in AH1 I think it was, I was flying at 5 K or so when all of the sudden some big bellybutton tracers flew about a foot over my right wing as someone was shelling the field half a sector behind me....  Nothing better than to almost get HO'd by the cruiser :P lol.
Bringing peace to the MA's 1 explody thingy at a time! :)

Pork em Pork em all!!!
  And the best quote EVERRRRR!!!
"All I can say is wow,some people are really stuck on stupid."
HiTech

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 01:52:04 AM »
I was in the air last night watching someone toss 8"" shells up over the cloud deck.
   now that looked cool from 16k.
the trails seamed to go away upon reentry.

fun to see it is all.

that is all.......

froger
frogs are people too

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 02:40:22 AM »
It's kind of cool to watch a fleet v fleet battle with all of the smoke trails now.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME