Author Topic: 10 Reasons to Fly WW1 Arena  (Read 1930 times)

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
Re: 10 Reasons to Fly WW1 Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 09:38:59 AM »
I'd like to add a few reasons why the WW2 players in particular might enjoy spending time in there occassionally  :headscratch:

11. You know how the German pilots in WW2 generally had the edge on Allied pilots when war commenced? It was largely because of their early experience flying gliders (Germany was initially banned from training pilots for the military after WW1, so they embarked on a 'civilian' flying program using gliding clubs to get them up to speed. Turns out that learning the basics this way is a good idea.)   

Gliders with 30MM....WOOT!  I want em!

Offline GearJrk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »
I'd like to add a few reasons why the WW2 players in particular might enjoy spending time in there occassionally  :headscratch:

11. You know how the German pilots in WW2 generally had the edge on Allied pilots when war commenced? It was largely because of their early experience flying gliders (Germany was initially banned from training pilots for the military after WW1, so they embarked on a 'civilian' flying program using gliding clubs to get them up to speed. Turns out that learning the basics this way is a good idea.) I think maybe the a/c in the WW1 arena might serve in a similar way; a great introduction for beginners and something different and simple for the experienced. A cleansing, so to speak, allowing the simplicity to wash away the cobwebs of detail and complexity and reveal the pure essence of the business.

12. ... and if there's nothing new to learn in there then you should clean up  :)

13. The history! An earlier chapter in the great story that is aviation. All these gaming experiences are better if you get your head into them. Personally I fly each sortie in an old leather flying cap and goggles, silk scarf and Snoopy motif underwear (although I had to get ADSL at home, the manager of the internet cafe called the police). Soak it up!

14. And finally, how often do you laugh - actual fits of mirth - when you get nailed in the WW2 arenas? This is like being in a cartoon, c'mon... remember that movie, 'Those Maginficent Men in their Flying Machines'?.... you dive on the Red Baron, he's at your mercy... just a little more back-stick, you start to grey out.... and crack the wings come off and you sit there in your wicker basket seat giving the stick a futile wiggle or two as the remnants of the ridiculous contraption plummets to the ground, the torn appendages mocking you as they flutter slowly earthward in your wake.

15. Great company. Very few take it too seriously, and if they do it only makes it funnier when their wings come off.      

Wait a minute.  In number 14 you said, "and finally" then posted a number 15.   :bolt:

BTW, my favorite part of the WW1 arena is the crunching sound when you or someone else augers.  :joystick:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:29:32 PM by GearJrk »
Gear
Claim Jumpers

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 05:29:10 PM »
Tusk...i get this feeling that you might have experienced several bad sorties where your wings ripped off...lol

If I don't lose at least one set per session then I'm not trying hard enough  :D
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 05:31:32 PM »
Gliders with 30MM....WOOT!  I want em!
Me 163
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 05:45:42 PM »
I really enjoy the WW1 arena.  I usually head there for a few sorties before heading to the "main arenas" to fly with the squad. 

Thanks again HTC for a nice contribution.
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 12:58:10 AM »
can i buy a glue perk for the wings and a more stable running motor please  :rock

carry on....

froger
frogs are people too

Offline dog1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 01:28:44 AM »
I really miss killin ya FROGGY  ....    Me and the guys have dug ya a lil froggy pond, whit pretty green lilypads and nice lil hanger, just for ya..... really.
in game ID  WormZ1La

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 01:37:11 AM »
it's been a while...
  guess i should drop by and see the pond  :D

I require a fine supply of fly's and will be in need of a lily pad please.

:banana:     froger      :banana:

frogs are people too

Offline meandog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 06:04:29 AM »
It sure is a perty patch of water...Got it full of flies hovering around all the dead DR1's I am knocking out of the sky with my camel.

Offline Yellow39

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 10:41:29 AM »
Got it full of flies hovering around all the dead DR1's I am knocking out of the sky with my camel.

Kill the Worm !!!  :aok

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 03:12:05 PM »
I thought I would only fly ww1 when it came out.

it is a 4v1 sewer all the time now. As soon as you engage an other con here comes the gaggle in dr1's to pick. :mad:

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 04:30:15 PM »
I thought I would only fly ww1 when it came out.

it is a 4v1 sewer all the time now. As soon as you engage an other con here comes the gaggle in dr1's to pick. :mad:
Im in there alot and I dont see much of what you describe.  Sometimes  ya.  Thats when I tell the guys to even it up then I log for a few.
Turnover is pretty good in there.  Every half hour new crew mostly.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 07:26:16 AM »
nah not everybody flies a Dr1 there ... as a matter of fact some of the top guns there fly a D7 or a Camel and some others like Xcelsior are dam good w the F2b... :bolt:
D7's my ride. i flew the DR1 for a bit, then realized i like BnZing in the D7 better and roping the enemy. if i flew WWI all the time id probably be able to clip a few too many wings. :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Yellow39

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 10:35:51 AM »
it is a 4v1 sewer all the time now. As soon as you engage an other con here comes the gaggle in dr1's to pick

... a lot of ppl flying other planes now... one of the problems we have in the arena at the moment due to the small community  is sometimes one country grows suddenly to 6-7 players while the other has only 3 flying but usually someones yells and scream and then someone changes sides to even  things out .

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 01:05:34 AM »
... a lot of ppl flying other planes now... one of the problems we have in the arena at the moment due to the small community  is sometimes one country grows suddenly to 6-7 players while the other has only 3 flying but usually someones yells and scream and then someone changes sides to even  things out .

sounds like a lot more fun if folks can make good decisions and police them selves.

i would switch sides to make it even.

froger 
frogs are people too