Author Topic: Miles Sound System  (Read 1806 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Miles Sound System
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 10:14:52 PM »
I am completely dissatisfied with this change. Ive tried both On board and separate sound cards. There is a drop in quality. example: I am flying at 300 knots and a friendly or enemy plane are 1.5k out. I dont hear the engine but I hear their guns firing clearly. This system IS messed up and Im not going to POST every example of the problems with it. WE are paying for a service and THIS service has gone down hill. Sound used to be pleasurable Now its Horrible.

KAM
So it has nothing to do with anything on your computer. Yeah...riiiight.

Even if there are issues with the existing sounds and way they are processed with the Miles sound system, aside from the fact that there are a good number of people who aren't having any problems with the sounds the way they are, it's not something that cannot or will not be addressed in some manner. It may not meet your standards, but the choice to continue paying is totally up to you and I'm willing to bet good money that HiTech and company are not going to bend over backwards and revert back to the old system based solely on your displeasure.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 10:35:39 PM »
So it has nothing to do with anything on your computer. Yeah...riiiight.

LMAO  Every patch for years  we get a new one all freak out and start blaming OUR Hardware. Funny thing is that if we wait long enough and for enough patches it seems to get fixed. Its rare that a good running machine becomes a hardware problem after THEIR patch..

Its usually a PROGRAMMING PROBLEM..

Plus 2 compleatly soundsystems tried on my machine with same result = Their programming

KAM

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 10:41:34 PM »
LMAO  Every patch for years  we get a new one all freak out and start blaming OUR Hardware. Funny thing is that if we wait long enough and for enough patches it seems to get fixed. Its rare that a good running machine becomes a hardware problem after THEIR patch..

Its usually a PROGRAMMING PROBLEM..

Plus 2 compleatly soundsystems tried on my machine with same result = Their programming

KAM
Then by your erroneous perspective, everyone who plays this game is having the same problems as you. Bad news, not a fact.

You should learn some things about programming and computer hardware, it's an eye opener.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 10:53:32 PM »
Ummm..

I'm not

Oh and just for the record my hardware was wonky as all get out a couple of weeks ago.  With the help of some members, HTC, and my squad mates, my comp is running like a scalded ape and I'm AVERAGING 70 to 73 FPS in the MA's.  Hmmmmmmmm.... Just saying.

Ick I just agreed with a Gyrene ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:58:42 PM by Dichotomy »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 12:38:28 AM »
I've been using headphones for years and distance seems a lil funky now.  I'm going to hook the surround sound up this evening and see if that's any better.

+ 1

i can't judge engine noise in a tank like the old sound.
also, sometimes the merging planes have cool race car sounds and other times it's the same old stock motor sounds.

froger
frogs are people too

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 03:00:17 AM »
From my experience.

Vox quality is not as good as it was before.
Harder to determine direction of enemy with sound.
Doppler sounds aren't quite right.
The sound threshold has a harder edge. (enemy sound non-existent then at D800 sound level increases sharply instead of fading into the mix)

No 'show-stoppers' but not as good as it was before, but this is only the second patch.  I hope they keep tweaking it until its better than what we had before.
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 09:03:11 AM »
Gentlemen many people do not seem to know there are 2 issues that are changed.

One is Miles sound system, make sure you select your speaker layout. This makes all sounds sound a little different, for all of us at HTC and many others, this system creates a deeper richer sound.

The other thing that has changed has nothing to do with Miles, We have changed many sound settings in the game, things like sound ranges, sound ranges when your engine is running, different settings if you are hearing a vehicle or plane...,and how they fall off with range along with ranges at which they are no longer played. This has nothing to do with the miles system.

HiTech

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 09:09:41 AM »
I've got a 5.1 set of headphones.  I find directionality is better in my case.

TB HPA2's here and the sound has improved.   The sounds prior to Miles were opposite, if a plane was on my right, I heard it in my left side, etc.   Everything has been improved, engines sound better (I use Sketchworks/AKDogg), I've always heard flaps, gear, etc over the engine.  

Vox is superior as well.

Thank you HT.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 09:41:48 AM »
Gentlemen many people do not seem to know there are 2 issues that are changed.

One is Miles sound system, make sure you select your speaker layout. This makes all sounds sound a little different, for all of us at HTC and many others, this system creates a deeper richer sound.

The other thing that has changed has nothing to do with Miles, We have changed many sound settings in the game, things like sound ranges, sound ranges when your engine is running, different settings if you are hearing a vehicle or plane...,and how they fall off with range along with ranges at which they are no longer played. This has nothing to do with the miles system.

HiTech

Any chance you could tell us the "before" and "after" ranges?
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 09:53:46 AM »
Essentially what HiTech is saying that if you don't have your speakers setup correctly in your audio properties, your audio may sound wonky.  I think he's also referring to that we must identify what kind of speakers you're using... i.e. headphones, 2,2.1 4, 4.1 etc.. Then you can make other adjustments to your sound.

If you are having issues, can we all:
a) update our sound drivers to the latest
b) ensure our audio setup is matched to the audio equipment we use

Furthermore, can we also put into perspective that the quality of sound equipment your computer has both inside the machine and speakers could be  a reflection of what it'll sound like?

I mean, if you're using onboard (motherboard-buildin) sound, are you going to be to take advantage of the Miles sound quality? I'm using an Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound card.  It cost me $100. If I use onboard or a $20 sound card, what are the chances my sound won't be the greatest or work properly with other games?  I've been playing games that use the Miles sound systems for a number of years with ZERO issues on a variety of machine types.  My speakers are always setup properly and I try to use the latest drivers + ensure my direct-x is working properly/updated.

I don't like sounding like a 'know-it-all', but some of this stuff is what we called in the military... CDF.  Common dog fudge. You should know this stuff already if you're a serious gamer... right?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:58:42 AM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 10:32:08 AM »
Fork-  I think the issue most people are taking with it is, before the sound they were getting from their system was perceived as being at a certain level of quality.  After the change, they are experiencing a decrease in that perceived quality.  No hardware change, no driver change, drop in quality on their end.  The system might be capable of better performance, but it may also require them to tweak their sound settings which they didn't have to do before.

For example, I would never have described the ingame vox as 'good'.  I would have rated it at the lower end to middle of 'adequate' before the change.  Now I find I'd rate it a couple of notches lower, but it's not a big deal to me because I didn't think it was that great to begin with.  It's still about as good as it was before, most of the time it seems like as long as their mic is not a complete POS, you can understand what they're saying.

I'm not much of an audiophile.  I use onboard sound, it does a pretty decent job for what I want out of it.  Like I said before, I find it interesting that my directionality seems to be improved from before.  I wonder if the difference between my and others' experience is simply that I've always had my speakers set up right and the Miles system deals with it a bit better.

I don't think the sounds are scaling quite right when stuff goes off into the distance though.  It seems to fade out down to about 20% volume, then cut out and go silent which is a bit jarring at times.  Maybe it's desired behavior.

There's also another school of thought which I happen to subscribe to when it comes to setting up gaming machines.  'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'  I am sure I don't need to tell you the number of times video and sound manufacturers have put out updated drivers that broke things in unexpected areas.  I generally don't play that many different games, so as long as the drivers I'm using for the ones I'm most concerned about (AH) are working well for that purpose, I'm not going to mess with it.  It's a policy that has served me well for a long time, though I might wind up updating my sound drivers just to see if there's an ingame improvement.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 01:25:31 PM »
If you are having issues, can we all:
a) update our sound drivers to the latest
b) ensure our audio setup is matched to the audio equipment we use

a) did that- didn't help
b) did that from the start, still have problems

However, Hitech's post tells me that the main problem I have is not a bug; it's a design feature (sudden cutoff of sound with increased distance).

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
According to HT then it is not the new system but changes they made that are the culprit. That being the reason means they will fix it.

The sounds are not deeper and richer for me but now that I can adjust them I can live with it. If the sound before was a 10, I'd give the sound now a 7.5 or so.

As for issues with direction and distance I'm sure they will fix that.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 02:37:42 PM »
According to HT then it is not the new system but changes they made that are the culprit. That being the reason means they will fix it.

As for issues with direction and distance I'm sure they will fix that.

If they made these changes deliberately, I'm not so sure it would occur to them that it needs fixing.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 02:41:20 PM »
If they made these changes deliberately, I'm not so sure it would occur to them that it needs fixing.

Which means you've never done any programming, nor heard of the Law of Unintended Consequences.
Not everything done deliberately does what you were attempting to do.
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P