Author Topic: Is this what you wanted HTC?  (Read 10059 times)

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
Re: Is this what you wanted HTC?
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2010, 02:56:30 PM »
I've been here since the AH beta.

I was playing Warbirds back when it was called Confirmed Kill and in beta.

I've been to 10 Warbirds and Aces High Conventions.

If there is one constant in these games, I've learned it is that old-timers think that things used to be better in the past.

I don't agree.

I agree that the game has changed over times, and that the things that may have drawn us into them originally can get de-emphasized or even eliminated as the game, the number of players, and and the types of players evolve.

But I don't believe that makes the game "better" or "worse."

There has always been vultching, gangtards, runstangs, uberspits, cherrypickers, harsh language, and annoying kids who didn't know what they were doing. And at one time, all those people were us.

I get out of this game what I put into it. I find satisfaction in my actions rather than what others do. I fly in a "No-Whine Zone." When I need a break, I take it. The last break was 8 or 9 months long. Yet I always come back.

Keep up the good work, HT. You're running new stuff up the flagpole and seeing who salutes, which is more than I can say for some games.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2010, 03:56:02 PM »
well said and hello llama  :)
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2010, 04:05:57 PM »
yes indeed <S> llama
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Baine

• Copper Member
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2010, 06:44:50 PM »
That has always been the way I played but I'm also smart enough not to attempt to dictate to someone else how they should play. 
I agree.
I've been playing this game almost 10 years now and the changes that really bug me are not the ones aimed at improving the game (of course), but the arbitrary rules aimed at dictating the way that players play the game.
In all my years here (and there were times when I spent almost all my free time flying in the arenas), did I come across a type of player gameplay that made me say "Jeez, this sucks, I'm gonna log."
I either fought the fight that was presented to me or found another section of map where that type of game play wasn't occurring.
However, now I find I only play a couple of hours a month. Some of it is burnout from 10-plus years of flying, but a lot is also that I've found that a lot of the changes make the game more work than fun. There are several days a month now, where I come home from work, eager to fly or fight my tank, log on, see what's going on an say "Jeez, this sucks, I'm gonna log."
All that being said, I do like the new town, or should I say suburb, set up. Base captures are more challenging, but more fun. I also thought the adding of uber flack a year or so ago at bases and towns was a very good idea.Not a big fan of the new radar altitude - not realistic and pulling off NOE base captures, or defending against them, is a lot of fun.
I would love to see a return to the old tank town, which was like crack on treads, an easing of eny, and a return to maps with closer bases. Not likely to happen, but I think it would make things more fun.

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2010, 08:19:48 PM »
Ok now all you  :old: :old: :old: guys jump on the WWI bandwagon and see if we can't get HTC to "flesh" it out some with more rides and some type of base capture strat (with old time bombers) and walla back to the old days  :devil :devil :devil

BTW I been around since 6 buck an hour AW days  :D
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline RealDeal

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2010, 09:22:20 PM »
Ok now all you  :old: :old: :old: guys jump on the WWI bandwagon and see if we can't get HTC to "flesh" it out some with more rides and some type of base capture strat (with old time bombers) and walla back to the old days  :devil :devil :devil

Dang thats a long to be playing this game. You'd think you be better at it.  :O

Realdeal
~BParker~
SHADE

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2010, 09:31:04 PM »

So, if I push you over will you break a hip? :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2010, 02:02:04 AM »
Just so I've got this straight - this is the sort of skill-oriented, less horde-y, more like the old days action the recent changes have moved the game back to?

'Cause it looks like the same old giant dweeb horde dogpile on one country to me, but I've only been here a couple of years, so what do I know, right?   :rolleyes:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2010, 02:11:43 AM »
Just so I've got this straight - this is the sort of skill-oriented, less horde-y, more like the old days action the recent changes have moved the game back to?

(Image removed from quote.)

'Cause it looks like the same old giant dweeb horde dogpile on one country to me, but I've only been here a couple of years, so what do I know, right?   :rolleyes:

ever noticed that on this specific map, the action is always at a41-a45 and a61/a62 to a59/a60 regardless of which country is on the south east?  always.  its not that two countries gang on one it is that everybody always gravitates to those two areas.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2010, 02:41:41 AM »
'immersion'

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2010, 06:08:27 AM »
I miss Pizza
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2010, 06:47:59 AM »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2010, 08:06:01 AM »
It seems that there is a tendency to polemic and polemic is not a constructive tool.

All of us are very happy to play with the new stuff. And more all of us are very
happy to see how HTC take care of two elements: 'customers' and 'HTC sand box'.

Why i putted ''? Because i think that a game like this can't be the sand box of HTC
or a customers place ONLY. It evolves as  a composition process between HTC and
customers. (Noted: with this i don't say that HTC cannot decide a day that all plane must be pink
and don't gain more customers!!)

As to me, one elements emerge:

1. HTC desires that AH could be environment where a variety of action could take place - from massive furballing to 1 vs 1.

2. Actually in main arenas it is not so. It depends on arena map.
   Yestarday arena map was small and target were big. 3 countries.
   Yestarday result: savage furballing.

Why savage? Because we have two choices only: land the kills and leave our fellows to die or takeoff and never land with kills!

3. New targets (base-field combination) solve noe horde problem - rise the radar a little bit   :pray - but require more furballing that goes into savage furballing.

Put new targets capturable by few planes could be solve savage furballing? I think yes.

:salute

P.S.:

Let's buy a ticket to the moon for nights ppl, they live for savage furballing!   :neener:

<S> nights

mobilis in mobile

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2010, 08:10:03 AM »
Lulu did u drink potion #9?. 

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2010, 08:12:04 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

That map looks no different than when I was playing AH I and squads were fighting it out on the same fronts.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."