Author Topic: Skuzz, Forums  (Read 1472 times)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
Skuzz, Forums
« on: August 07, 2010, 11:57:45 AM »
Think we may need another reset thing ya did a while back (think you said it took a while of down to do it but something sure helped last time). :)
Seeing a lot of double/triple/quad posts/threads and the forums seem to not load for 5-10mins at a time quite a bit (tried several ISPs).
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
Re: Skuzz, Forums
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 12:02:04 PM »
Think we may need another reset thing ya did a while back (think you said it took a while of down to do it but something sure helped last time). :)
Seeing a lot of double/triple/quad posts/threads and the forums seem to not load for 5-10mins at a time quite a bit (tried several ISPs).

Yep, same here.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 12:31:05 PM »

I know you're just trying to help, but don't you think he knows what he's doing?
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 12:47:08 PM »
I know you're just trying to help, but don't you think he knows what he's doing?

Oh I know he knows what he's doing. :)
Just last time he was hesitant to fix it due to the down time the forums would take, think we can agree the down time would be fine to fix issues right?  Maybe I should have put this in the General to see who all agrees the down time would be reasonable.  (No that wasn't meant as a sarcastic jab at you, maybe I really should have).

:salute

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 01:45:26 PM »
Gotcha, I didn't know he was concerned about downtime. In that case, I can handle some downtime if it helps the forums. A forced break from the forums would probably be good for me, short of breaking a rule :aok

Folks, play nice.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 07:14:37 PM »
Of the many forums I visit daily, this is the only one that hangs for me.  I can open the forums, but not the threads.  Happens every week, different ISPs too. :(
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 08:16:07 PM »
Of the many forums I visit daily, this is the only one that hangs for me.  I can open the forums, but not the threads.  Happens every week, different ISPs too. :(

same for me
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 09:41:49 AM »
It is caused by too many large searches being done on the forums at one time.  Trying to figure how to limit the searches so one cannot be started up until the last 20 are done.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »
Be right back, I've got a couple windows open and I'm trying to search for the following words:

HO
noob
B-29
HTC
and
the
of
& finally, "Krusty"

:)

Folks, play nice.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 11:03:14 AM »
Be right back, I've got a couple windows open and I'm trying to search for the following words:

HO
noob
B-29
HTC
and
the
of
& finally, "Krusty"

:)

throw voss in there and the server might meltdown

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 11:28:34 AM »
It is caused by too many large searches being done on the forums at one time.  Trying to figure how to limit the searches so one cannot be started up until the last 20 are done.

Wow and people say no one uses the search...  Thanks for update though, thought maybe it was we post too much. :P

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 04:51:37 PM »
Skuzzy, I know NOTHING about SMF, but I wonder.... Is it possible to change the defaults on search to select only the forum you choose search from?  One of the things that aggravates me is that EVERY time I search it goes back to "All forums", which most of the time I remember to switch to the forum I want to search, but often forget.  And would it be possible to make the default something like 365 days?  These alone might make a huge difference, and since most folks probably don't go to advanced search anyway... I would think that a significant amount of the load generated by a search could be mitigated by these to changes alone.

Does the BBS support specifying the priority of the search thread (assuming it's multithreaded) so that you can minimize the impact  - or is the DB that's getting bogged? If so, does the BBS support searching in a different DB(which might alleviate stress on the boards, assuming you could refresh the search DB periodically perhaps in the wee hours from the main board's DB?)

All thoughts, which I'm sure you might have already had.   And of course, I way understand living with a less than optimal solution because you have bigger fish to fry - that's the story of my (work) life.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 06:15:23 AM »
I have one possible solution to try, before I have to start hacking the source code and I am not sure it will make anything better.

I'll have to pull the board down for a few hours to try it though.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 05:36:37 PM »
A little board down time would probably increase the productivity levels of several companies around the world.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 06:05:11 PM »
A little board down time would probably increase the productivity levels of several companies around the world.

:rofl

Folks, play nice.