Author Topic: SKINS, MAPS, Water, land are *SLOW* to appear  (Read 1001 times)

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
Re: SKINS, MAPS, Water, land are *SLOW* to appear
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 08:45:59 PM »
GLD...open task manager and let your mouse SIT,and dont touch it for a minute or 2...then post where is goes to % wise..

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 09:40:20 PM »
GLD...open task manager and let your mouse SIT,and dont touch it for a minute or 2...then post where is goes to % wise..

With no open windows other than task manager,  no wallpaper,  only Avast running in background as it always had,  a 2 minute observation of CPU usage is:

Lowest CPU     2%
Average CPU   3%,  because every few moments it goes to 5% or 7%

Highest CPU  spiked 4 times in 2 minutes   to  16% cpu and back down again.
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 01:12:38 AM »
not good...

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 06:10:27 AM »
Nope, not good at all.  First off, your video card is not up to running with "Detailed Terrain" enabled.  It is too slow.  The older CPU is also a handicap.

You cannot afford to have the CPU being used up like that.  The percent the CPU should be busy should be a 0, 99% of the time, when you are not doing anything.  You need to find the errant background process(es) causing that level of CPU activity and kill it.

It is, most likely, malware/spyware/viral related as there are very  few legitimate Windows applications which would be using the CPU like that, when the system is supposed to be idle.

You would also do well to disable "Detailed Terrain" (if it is enabled, Options->Graphic Detail->Advanced) and set the "Maximum Texture Size" to 256 (Video Settings).
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 10:12:23 AM »
Don't forget to turn off the avast shields, before you open AH. Having any anti-virus running while playing AH is just asking for trouble.

Your sound card driver is 3 years old and your video card driver is 7 years old!!!  :O  Those might work with WBs but, definitely not AH. See if you can find some from late 09 or early 10. Anything newer like June-Aug 10 might cause more problems.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 05:58:40 PM »
Well the texture size fixed it, at least in purple main arena...    Perhaps in my previous AH install it was set to 256.  All textures. skins, maps  load speedy fast there.  In the orange arena it does load much faster,  but still doing testing to see if it runs super fast as I remember it.

For the sound driver, the last time I tried updating it  the system became unstable and crashed and had to revert to default settings but not before I had partially deleted  'creative labs audigy'  and could never find the CD nor online to get it back to control the equalizer from desktop.   THe sound has been fine ever since.

For the Video driver,  well,  I am the person that believes 'If it aint broke, don't fix it',  because  I learned my lesson from trying to update the sound driver based on it's recommendation.  I'd really hate to screw up my system if it runs without hiccups.  Unless you have a specific recommendation?

As for malware,  I run both  Unhackme  and Avast and they've never interferred before playing the game.  Unhackme is an anti-root kit which a year ago found some 'unknown processes that were identified  as suspicious.  Since then it boots from DOS, does the checks, and doesn't find anything.

But as I said before the 256 texture size works great.

A super thanks to all those trudging through this with me <S>
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:07:43 PM by gldnbb »
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-