Author Topic: GV Arena or No Fly Zone At Tank Town  (Read 2784 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: GV Arena or No Fly Zone At Tank Town
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2010, 10:11:27 AM »
30K+ Mountains around Tank Town? You certainly won't see any Knights trying to fly over those anyway  :noid

30K mountain will not stop me from going into TT.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2010, 10:54:31 AM »
Ack Ack,

I can't speak for the OP, but in my case, I'm merely wishing for an additional permanent area or mechanism for GV-only, for reasons given in my last post.  I wasn't aware of the GV/DA area, but the problem with it and also the problem with the single-map-tank-town solution is that it isn't always available.  Either the map itself isn't being used by HTC, or nobody is in the GV/DA area.  (Also, back when I used to use the DA for practicing my fighter skills I found that it was as lawless a place as the DA, with hordes of a**h***s roaming the skies interfering with the duels).  A permanent publicised GV-only arena is more likely to have players in it.  If not, HTC can remove it after trying out the idea for a month or so.

I do not want, nor does my "wish" necessarily involve:
1) to ruin the experience of other players,
2) to ruin the experience of "furballers",
3) to kill "fightertown"
4) to force other players to "play my way"

Based on my stated position, I suggest that your anger is misdirected.  

TDeacon
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:57:00 AM by TDeacon »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2010, 11:07:27 AM »
 I wasn't aware of the GV/DA area, but the problem with it and also the problem with the single-map-tank-town solution is that it isn't always available.

We have currently 3 maps in Late War rotation with a genuine Tank Town area. One of them even has this area largely protected from Jabos by Himalya-like mountains.
Two of them are always empty, and most surprisingly the TT where you can still find some (low-key) GV action is also the most easy one to bomb: Ndisles.

Also I want to state that the decline of the Tank Town concept had nothing to do with tanks being bombed.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2010, 11:08:38 AM »

I have always been friendly with you Oak, but there is a point when the conversation becomes absurd and obviously flame-baiting.  You are now there.

:salute

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2010, 11:18:33 AM »
Lusche,

Yes, I noticed that.  On maps with a central tank-town-ish-looking area, the first thing I have been doing is examine the icons to see if any are blinking.  Since I started playing again (a couple of weeks ago) these places have generally been empty.  Not sure why. 

I guess I was hoping that the dedicated GV arena would attract GV players. 

Any suggestions on how we might get undisturbed GV action, without screwing other players who like things the way they are?  Or is it hopeless?

TDeacon

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2010, 11:28:28 AM »
Lusche,

Yes, I noticed that.  On maps with a central tank-town-ish-looking area, the first thing I have been doing is examine the icons to see if any are blinking.  

I think there is a very important point hidden in that statement: "examine the icons to see if any are blinking.  "

Blinking icons are meaning: "The base is under attack" And that's the problem: It's all focused now on capturing the bases.
The TT concept, which worked well for years, is about spawning right into the middle of TT and slugging it out with the other guys there. And doing so does not make the bases flash at all.

I learned tanking there. Back in my days you could count on finding 25-33% of all players in TT whenever one of the TT maps came up. "Hooray, Tank Town!" was a very common shout on CH200 whenever a TT map came up after a reset.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2010, 11:31:07 AM »
Lusche,

I merely examine the icons to see if anyone is there.  I have been assuming that if someone is there, at least one base will blink. 

TDeacon
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:32:49 AM by TDeacon »

Offline RoGenT

• Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2010, 11:31:40 AM »

I think you augured before you got up to the point of the joke :D
:salute Your fellow pony dweeb today!
Offical Knight Morale Officer
#1 Punk Knight on Vtards Hit List
Proud Pig!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2010, 11:34:23 AM »
I have been assuming that if someone is there, at least one base will blink.  

Only if a GV is approaching the base. The GVs in Tank Town itself never made the bases flash.

And my remark was aimed specifically at you as such. It simply highlighted the fact that "the very concept of playing in TT" is simply lost.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2010, 11:37:49 AM »
Only if a GV is approaching the base. The GVs in Tank Town itself never made the bases flash.

And my remark was aimed specifically at you as such. It simply highlighted the fact that "the very concept of playing in TT" is simply lost.

So is there a way to correct this sad state of affairs?

TDeacon

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2010, 11:43:35 AM »
So is there a way to correct this sad state of affairs?

None that I know of. Even the protected area in Trinity doesn't attract players, which is even more remarkable as it's often difficult to find any decent action when this map is new up. Even more remarkable is the fact, that you can find huge battles at the V2->A1 spawn, despite myriads of A20's and Il-2 harassing the tanks worse than it could ever be in any true TT area.

When Trinity was first put back into rotation, a group of AH "vets" immediately tried to get the ball rolling again on TT, but we were too few.

So all in all, it's not the "bomb****s" that prevent players from playing in a dedicated TT section of the map.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2010, 11:56:14 AM »
Well, in my case, I wasn't aware of TTs existence as such.  All I would have done is checked the center area of the map (TT?) for blinking icons, and then gone elsewhere when it seemed empty. 

So it may be the case that others missed it as well.  A dedicated arena would be hard to miss, as one would see it on login.  Or if a regular TT area could be provided on all maps, some sort of popup on login announcing its presence.  Otherwise, I can easily see people overlooking it, as I have been doing. 

What we need here is:
1) a location (be it a separate arena, or a reasonably usable area on all maps)
2) a way for people to detect the location's presence, and detect whether anyone is in it, so if they're interested, they will join.

The latter in particular seems to currently be missing, and the former is missing at least half of the time.  Fix these 2 issues, and perhaps we would attain critical mass again. 

TDeacon

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2010, 12:35:05 PM »
BTW, Lusche, what about the original post in this thread, which I just re-read?  In that particular situation, AC were alleged to be adversely affecting GV gameplay in TT.

So, do we need third item to fix the situation?
3) a mechanism to keep AC (and ships) out of TT / the separate arena.

TDeacon

What we need here is:
1) a location (be it a separate arena, or a reasonably usable area on all maps)
2) a way for people to detect the location's presence, and detect whether anyone is in it, so if they're interested, they will join.

The latter in particular seems to currently be missing, and the former is missing at least half of the time.  Fix these 2 issues, and perhaps we would attain critical mass again. 

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2010, 12:50:07 PM »
BTW, Lusche, what about the original post in this thread, which I just re-read?  In that particular situation, AC were alleged to be adversely affecting GV gameplay in TT.

So, do we need third item to fix the situation?
3) a mechanism to keep AC (and ships) out of TT / the separate arena.

TDeacon

As much a sit sucks to be on the receiving end of a bomb, I'm all against a special GV "sanctuary" on TT maps in the Mian Arenas (high mountains are fine with me, but no other artifical restraints). MA combat is about interaction. Il-2 kills tank, Ostwind kills Il.2, A-20 bombs Ostwind, Spitfire kills A-20. In the "old TT days, I did everthing: Slugged it out in tanks, got bombed, hunted enemy "bomb****s", and bombed TT area from 25k in a Lancaster. Big fun all the time :)

And I'm even more opposed to further splitting up  into special interest arenas. A GV arena, a level bombing arena, a furball arena, an attack arena...
The appeal of the MA is/was being huge sandbox. Being able to to about everything any given moment. Jumping from mindless GV battles in TT to intercepting enemy high alt buff runs in a hearbeat.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2010, 01:17:54 PM »
Lusche,

Why are you against a GV-only alternative to the MA?  The MA would still be there, and still be preferred by most players.  Are you thinking that GV-only would take up an excessive amount of scarce HTC resources?

TDeacon