Author Topic: GV Arena or No Fly Zone At Tank Town  (Read 2772 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: GV Arena or No Fly Zone At Tank Town
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »
I have always been friendly with you Oak, but there is a point when the conversation becomes absurd and obviously flame-baiting.  You are now there.

:salute

Way

LOL, thanks
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2010, 03:58:40 PM »
Honest question

How hard would it be to make a GV only arena?

What would be the downside?

Seeing as how the extent of my GV'ing is limited to racing a jeep or PT boat around offline when I'm just killing a little time I haven't paid a LOT of attention to the issue.  I'd like a serious, intelligent, and well thought out answer please.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2010, 04:08:11 PM »
When we get private servers here in the semi-near future, an all-GV arena will be easy to set up and run.  Used to in H2H all the time.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2010, 04:14:05 PM »
Honest question

How hard would it be to make a GV only arena?

What would be the downside?

Seeing as how the extent of my GV'ing is limited to racing a jeep or PT boat around offline when I'm just killing a little time I haven't paid a LOT of attention to the issue.  I'd like a serious, intelligent, and well thought out answer please.

My arguement is simple. The game is called Aces High, not Tanker's Low. The GV's were put in to add to the game, not become an independent element. I still say set up a GV club like we had a few years back. Player initiative and all... But there are so many other things that still need work, this would just add to the work load. I like to GV, I just don't think it deserves it's own arena.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2010, 04:45:58 PM »
My arguement is simple. The game is called Aces High, not Tanker's Low. The GV's were put in to add to the game, not become an independent element. I still say set up a GV club like we had a few years back. Player initiative and all... But there are so many other things that still need work, this would just add to the work load. I like to GV, I just don't think it deserves it's own arena.

the question is, if they do have a GV arena, will it have a good turn out or a flop like WWI arenas. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2010, 04:46:28 PM »
Just look at warbirds' GV specific arena, once a week six guys log on for an hour or two.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2010, 05:00:15 PM »
I try to keep bombs out of TT. It we're pushed back to out last GV base or the airfield, I'll make an exception, but if not and I see someone bombing, I'll ask them to stop. I have no ax to grind with the furballers, but I think we should leave TT for tanks. If you want to bomb GV's, just go somewhere outside of tank town, thats all I'm asking.

At TT, please don't:

Pork bases. If hangers need to go down, please let the GV'ers take care of it, thats what the HE shells are for.

Please don't bomb GV's. If you got killed, take a break, go fight another country, or up a tiger and pwn his arse.

If someone porks your base, please don't use that as an excuse to go pork those. It just starts the vicious circle of strike and counter-strike.

Just food for thought.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2010, 06:19:36 PM »
MA combat is about interaction. Il-2 kills tank, Ostwind kills Il.2, A-20 bombs Ostwind, Spitfire kills A-20.

Still works this way.. and once theres only spits, then the tanks can come back out, the spits run out of gas, and the IL2's kill the tanks again, etc. it's quite a nice cycle (food web LOLOL)  :D

Hey look! a battle!

:aok

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2010, 06:29:30 PM »
I try to keep bombs out of TT. It we're pushed back to out last GV base or the airfield, I'll make an exception, but if not and I see someone bombing, I'll ask them to stop. I have no ax to grind with the furballers, but I think we should leave TT for tanks. If you want to bomb GV's, just go somewhere outside of tank town, thats all I'm asking.

You are in the MA, you are free game.  You should not expect anything less or demand others not attack you just because you're in a tank.

At TT, please don't:

Pork bases. If hangers need to go down, please let the GV'ers take care of it, thats what the HE shells are for.

Please don't bomb GV's. If you got killed, take a break, go fight another country, or up a tiger and pwn his arse.

If someone porks your base, please don't use that as an excuse to go pork those. It just starts the vicious circle of strike and counter-strike.

Just food for thought.

Again, it's the MA and you're free game despite what you want.  HiTech has been kind enough to provide us the necessary tools to defend our GVs from air attack, I would suggest you use these tools instead of demanding that you get a special area in the MA.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2010, 07:07:01 PM »
I'm fine with others attacking me..... in a tank if I'm at TT. Its even named "Tank Town" for gods sake, not "bomber alley". As I said, I don't care if there are GV bombers, just leave TT alone.

I see absolutly no point to bombing GV's that aren't affecting your game play other than getting kills. IMO, the fight should be what matters, not how many kills you get.

If its really as simple as you say, then up a flack at TT, go up near the fighting (most of the time, thats where you will need the flacks), and try to kill all of the planes that try to bomb you, or survive their runs. Unless you prove this, then you can't really say thats all there is to it.

And if you manage to deter (thats what flacks do, they don't STOP, they only deter) or kill all of the bomb****s that attack you, theres a decent chance that a tank kills you instead.

As to CAP's, we've been over this before. You're not going to stop the pissed off tanker that doesn't care if his P-51 explodes as long as he gets the guy who killed his tank.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2010, 07:12:06 PM »
I'm fine with others attacking me..... in a tank if I'm at TT. Its even named "Tank Town" for gods sake, not "bomber alley". As I said, I don't care if there are GV bombers, just leave TT alone.

No.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »
The only way to keep AC out of TT is for HITech to change the map physically.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2010, 09:28:44 PM »
I started this thread back at the start of August. Its intention was never to tell anyone how they should play the game..
When you roll an A20 into tank town, there is no strategic reason for it.. No bases are being taken. The only purpose is to get those easy GV kills at the expense of a few guys trying to have a tank battle..I personally wouldn't do it because I see no point in ruining someone else's fun.. There are plenty of spawn camps to bomb etc.

Some of the posters on this thread that are for bombing in Tank Town are the first ones to scream bloody murder when some buff comes along and drops the fighter hangers in a furball or while they are vulching a field.

I guess that speech about arena etiquette on the Trainers Site means nothing anymore..  Every time you get involved in a good GV battle in tank town , some bomber rolls in and drops you.. I'm not saying that they cannot do it. But what real purpose does it serve? I would never say that they cannot do it! Some people get off on ruining the game play of others. If there is no such thing as arena etiquette, I would suggest that the trainers site remove all references to it so that new players coming along wont have any expectation of it..

As far as Bulletin Board etiquette. That doesn't apply to many of the old farts who want to spend all of there time talking about War Birds, Fighter Ace, and Air Warrior and how they have been playing since they first invented the internet. Without even reading the post the first thing they do is flame you and talk about the way things used to be. Or you have the special members with 15949 posts who live on the bulletin boards to do nothing but flame every single suggestion or comment another person makes.. You know who you are...

I will stand by my original statement! Bombing in Tank Town is bad manors, and anyone doing it has ZERO respect for other players!!!
I am finished with this discussion...

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:44:48 PM by sky25 »

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »
I started this thread back at the start of August. Its intention was never to tell anyone how they should play the game..
When you roll an A20 into tank town, there is no strategic reason for it.. No bases are being taken. The only purpose is to get those easy GV kills at the expense of a few guys trying to have a tank battle.

Yet you are in the middle of the map having a senseless GV battle that has no strategic reason for it. No bases are being taken. The only purpose is to get those easy GV kills.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2010, 09:57:53 PM »

There was a Fighter Town but it didn't stop 'tards like you coming in bombing or storming the fields in GVs.  If you want a special area to fight GVs only without fear of planes interferring there is the DA which has a little section of the map for your kind.  Otherwise, get used to being bombed in a GV in the MA.

I see absolutly no point to bombing GV's that aren't affecting your game play other than getting kills.

The object of the game is to kill the other guy, why are you trying to deny someone that right whether they do it in a plane or GV?  If you're red you are a viable target and will end up dead. 

IMO, the fight should be what matters, not how many kills you get.

To some killing the red guys is fun, to some it's fighting and to others it's killing, fighting and pissing the other guy off. 

If its really as simple as you say, then up a flack at TT, go up near the fighting (most of the time, thats where you will need the flacks), and try to kill all of the planes that try to bomb you, or survive their runs. Unless you prove this, then you can't really say thats all there is to it.

I said the solution is simple, not the act itself.  The tools provided by HiTech make it possible for GVs to defend themselves from air attack.  It's not my fault that you refuse to use these options that have been readily provided to you but I guess your kind find if far easier to whine and cry instead of actually having to use what has been provided to you.  Whether or not you're successful in using these tools depends on a lot of factors but the fact remains there are options available to you without having to whine about getting a special area in the MA.

And if you manage to deter (thats what flacks do, they don't STOP, they only deter) or kill all of the bombers that attack you, theres a decent chance that a tank kills you instead.
p

Gee...life is tough when you have to actually fight to survive. 

As to CAP's, we've been over this before. You're not going to stop the pissed off tanker that doesn't care if his P-51 explodes as long as he gets the guy who killed his tank.

And you were proven wrong but a lot depends on the skills of those providing CAP over the tank battle.  I'm sure with your squadron what you say is most likely true and would be useless to provide CAP but if a better squadron with more skilled flyers would actually have a better chance of being able to protect your tanks.  Yes, you'll still probably lose one or two but at least you won't get your entire attacking force entirely wiped out.

So, I guess your claim about playing to enjoy the fight isn't really true since you don't want planes to attack you.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song