Author Topic: "Anyway, we delivered the bomb."  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
"Anyway, we delivered the bomb."
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:36:31 PM »
Quint's famous, chilling speech from "JAWS".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nrvMNf-HEg

Aboard the Orca:

Matt Hooper (Richard Dreyfus) - "You were on the Indianapolis?"

Police Chief Martin Brody (Roy Scheider) - "What happened?"

Quint (Robert Shaw) - "Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We'd just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didn't see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin' by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and sometimes that shark he go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... 'til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin' and your hollerin' those sharks come in and... they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin', Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol' fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

Her Story:
http://www.ussindianapolis.org/story.htm

:salute USS Indianapolis

Regards,
Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: "Anyway, we delivered the bomb."
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 11:15:49 PM »
It was a great scene. The first time I saw it was in the movie theater it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I've been a Robert Shaw fan ever since his role as Quint. I think he stole the movie, as over powering as he was in every one of his scenes.

:salute
To the men of the USS Indianapolis
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:17:30 PM »
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 03:19:59 AM »
Whats impressive is that Shaw re-wrote that scene himself

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:26:27 AM »
one of the best scenes of any movie.

it was shot twice. 

the first time...shaw took the script to his hotel the night before...completely re-wrote it...and they shot the scene the next morning..against Spielberg's better judgment.  it stunk....
the next day shaw showed up completely drunk.....and ad libbed the scene using his memory of the original script as his guide...

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 01:27:01 PM »
Similar thing happened to the U.S.S. Juneau after the first naval battle of Guadalcanal.  It was sunk during the battle and out of a complement of 697, a few more than 100 survived.  Despite frequent reports of survivors, they floated for several days and only 10 of those rescued survived.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 02:33:28 PM »
Similar thing happened to the U.S.S. Juneau after the first naval battle of Guadalcanal.  It was sunk during the battle and out of a complement of 697, a few more than 100 survived.  Despite frequent reports of survivors, they floated for several days and only 10 of those rescued survived.

wrongway

The Sullivan Brothers were on USS Juneau.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:46 PM »
I'm on twelve hour shifts...comments later.

Cool trivia guys! :aok

Regards,
Sun

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 08:13:19 PM »
one of the best scenes of any movie.

Damn straight.

Hey Sundowner, is your avatar supposed to be the gunslinger from Stephen King's Dark Tower series?
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 08:28:43 PM »
Robert Shaw was the dog's *******s for many years. The assassin in From Russia With Love, the mark in The Sting, hell he was even in The Dambusters.

Apparently Roy Scheider's classic "We're gonna need a bigger boat," was ad-libbed too.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 08:47:01 PM »
Damn straight.

Hey Sundowner, is your avatar supposed to be the gunslinger from Stephen King's Dark Tower series?

Yes, it's Roland reaching the tower at sundown.
A graphic from "The Dark Tower VII---The Dark Tower".

http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/

Regards,
Sun

/shamelessplug
Happy 800th! Color me S-I-L-V-E-R  :rolleyes:

So now can I control a CV or what?  :D /shamelessplug

SD
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:52:28 PM by Sundowner »

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 09:22:43 PM »
Yes, it's Roland reaching the tower at sundown.
A graphic from "The Dark Tower VII---The Dark Tower".

http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/

Regards,
Sun

/shamelessplug
Happy 800th! Color me S-I-L-V-E-R  :rolleyes:

So now can I control a CV or what?  :D /shamelessplug

SD

I left off at Dark Tower #3 - I think.  Great series.  I'll have to read the rest but will probably start from the beginning.  I remember the giant ill-tempered lobsters on the beach and that's about it.  :old:
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 11:42:13 PM »
I left off at Dark Tower #3 - I think.  Great series.  I'll have to read the rest but will probably start from the beginning.  I remember the giant ill-tempered lobsters on the beach and that's about it.  :old:

I hear the ending is so-so.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 07:45:20 PM »
I hear the ending is so-so.

wrongway

Yep, some King fans were disgruntled...but it was worthwhile for me to see The Gunslinger finally enter the tower after his {decades/lifetime/timeless???} quest.       ......closure  :lol

Sun  
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:47:14 PM by Sundowner »

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »
Quint's famous, chilling speech from "JAWS".

truly one of the greatest movie scenes ever :aok

just watching a youtube version made me shiver :uhoh
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli