Author Topic: Get rid of MA  (Read 2299 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Re: Get rid of MA
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2010, 06:43:11 PM »
Never gonna happen.

The AvA player base is smaller to begin with, and then there are those who might prefer an AvA set-up, but are willing to trade that to go where the numbers are.

We'd love to see an AvA arena that always had 50+ players in it, but it's never been that way consistently.

For those interested, watch the AvA forum.

We run many different maps and many different set-ups from all theatres.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2010, 06:53:05 PM »
I still only want to see axis fight allies, not trying to stop everyone flying the same rides they do normally.
Yes you are.  I like the Mossie.  In your game, I would have the choice of flying the Mossie and not getting to fight or flying something Axis and getting gangbanged.

Weeeee!
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2010, 07:03:37 PM »
We try within reason, to make the match ups as fair as we can, even to the point of taking historical liberties.

In the upcoming Battlefield Europe set-up, http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,294501.0.html we have limited the availability of Spitfires and Hurricanes to the last frame and only for British home defense.

How balanced it turns out to be, will depend a lot on the players, if experten luftwaffe pilots fly against newer allied pilots etc.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2010, 07:07:47 PM »
Take away the MA and then axis fights the allies  just like WW2.

Worked well for Warbirds didn't it?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 07:12:58 PM »
People are in the areans they want to be in. If you want people to be in the AvA arena request something that will make it better,don't get rid of the arena so people will go to that arena.
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 07:25:46 PM »
I do feel ya minke.

Apparently, most people would rather fly their favorite plane at any time, rather than doing something more historically immersive.

There is a market for history/immersion fans as evidenced by FSO and Snapshots, but it's hard to run a 24/7 arena like that.

We try new and recycled ideas all the time and we often get good turn out, but we haven't yet found the magic bullet that will keep the AvA consistently populated all the time.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 07:59:39 PM »
We try within reason, to make the match ups as fair as we can, even to the point of taking historical liberties.

In the upcoming Battlefield Europe set-up, http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,294501.0.html we have limited the availability of Spitfires and Hurricanes to the last frame and only for British home defense.

How balanced it turns out to be, will depend a lot on the players, if experten luftwaffe pilots fly against newer allied pilots etc.
Looks horrible.  Hurricane shouldn't even be offered and if the Spits are that far back, why even have them.

Looks like a bunch of historical revisionism to me.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2010, 08:23:43 PM »
Looks horrible.  Hurricane shouldn't even be offered and if the Spits are that far back, why even have them.

P-38J should also be included in that particular set up.  The L didn't fully replace the J in the ETO for those units still flying the Lightning.  There were quite a few early Js and late model J-25-L0s flying in the ETO.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:52:18 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2010, 08:49:01 PM »
Looks horrible.  Hurricane shouldn't even be offered and if the Spits are that far back, why even have them.

Really? what else is horrible?

P-38J should also be included in that particular set up's plane set.
ack-ack

That can be added, what else?

I've had it up in the AvA forum for some time now looking for suggestions, but I'll still take some feedback.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:55:01 PM by jimson »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2010, 09:00:03 PM »
Either make it USAAF vs Luftwaffe (a perfectly fine setup with an obvious focus) or put the Brits in it.  Putting the Brits in it, but only back in the UK and calling it Allied is absurd.

Spitfire XIVs, LF.Mk IX/Mk XVIs, Typhoons, Tempests and Mosquitoes were all ranging over that region at the time specified.  Including all, or any, of those doesn't work as it makes the Luftwaffe have to deal with fast P-51s and turny Spitfires all mixed in together.

Such scenarios are much better, in my opinion, as USAAF vs the Luftwaffe or as RAF vs the Luftwaffe and no token Spitfire or P-47 (I know the Brits used them) tossed in to make it "Allied".

That said, I know the AvA has an extremely strong anti-Spitfire bias (loving to use 1942 Spitfire F.Mk IXs all the way to 1945 and cluelessly justifying it based on the it being a "Mk IX" as all Mk IXs are the same, just like all Bf109Gs are the same), so it is hardly surprising to see the attitude you exhibit.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2010, 09:07:42 PM »
That said, I know the AvA has an extremely strong anti-Spitfire bias (loving to use 1942 Spitfire F.Mk IXs all the way to 1945 and cluelessly justifying it based on the it being a "Mk IX" as all Mk IXs are the same, just like all Bf109Gs are the same), so it is hardly surprising to see the attitude you exhibit.

Whoa.......... slow down a minute, I'm a very new staffer and I actually like the Spitfire, (all models) But I thought the USAAF vs Luftwaffe set-up might be a bit more balanced.

I just couldn't see something that includes a possible battle on the British Isles not include some RAF component but yes, I did want to limit it .

Anything that includes the possibility of an Axis victory would tend to be "history revision"

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2010, 10:02:53 PM »
Same thing:You wanna force us to play that way because YOU want it, and you do not care about what anybody else wants.

Well, i can do same: I'm not interested in AvA and it's almost empty anyway, so get rid of it.  :neener:
AvA is empty because it does not have a good style of gameplay. they are working to fix this lusche... give it time. i'd love AvA if it had more people and they had objectives... this september they are trying this approach
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2010, 10:07:09 PM »
But I thought the USAAF vs Luftwaffe set-up might be a bit more balanced.
I agree that not mixing the USAAF and RAF sets is a good thing for scenarios.  Should be done either USAAF vs Luftwaffe or RAF vs Luftwaffe.  USAAF and RAF vs Luftwaffe just gets silly as the Luftwaffe player finds themselves facing an almost MA mix of aircraft.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2010, 10:30:55 PM »
AvA is empty because it does not have a good style of gameplay. they are working to fix this lusche... give it time. i'd love AvA if it had more people and they had objectives... this september they are trying this approach
Where have you been flying? When we were running objective base setups, nobody liked it. I've seen countless people talk about how the AvA used to be this and AvA used to be that...yet not one has come up with a snigle idea that is better and they all the same excuses. I'm done stressing myself with any effort into the AvA, this entire community has one thing it does well...whine about what's wrong and it's always someone elses fault.

Lusche, I see your sphincter opinion is in high gear...put up or shut up...if you think you can do better, post a suggestion for a setup in the AvA, one of the admins will run it if it has any historical merit.

Karnak, you really should look in the AvA forum for Jimson's setup and make your recommendations there. Bad enough you insult him by making ASSumptions about his intentions with the setup. It's his lone effort to make something happen in the AvA because he wants to see it succeed. Either offer some genuine help because you have an interest or...(i'll let you guess what four words to use).
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2010, 10:34:37 PM »
Kinda hijacked this thread by accident, sorry all. This will be my last non OP related post here, but by all means I welcome suggestions in the AvA forum.
 :salute

It's tough, as an automatic reset just fubars things and a staffer can't be available 24/7 to run it like an SEA event, hence this approach for the Aug 19th set up.

I agree that not mixing the USAAF and RAF sets is a good thing for scenarios.  Should be done either USAAF vs Luftwaffe or RAF vs Luftwaffe.  USAAF and RAF vs Luftwaffe just gets silly as the Luftwaffe player finds themselves facing an almost MA mix of aircraft.

Good point. It will only come up if Axis advances it all the way to Frame Three (fictional late war OP Sea Lion) I'll rethink this for next time around. Maybe the USAAF component could be dropped and it would become RAF vs Luftwaffe for that frame only.

I have no idea if any US units would have participated in a late war defense of Britain. It's all hypothetical.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:24:21 PM by jimson »