Author Topic: An idea for HTC  (Read 1815 times)

Offline mijoieau

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
An idea for HTC
« on: August 11, 2010, 05:21:39 AM »
After looking around for a new game, i have found that many games have a tutorial that forces you to watch and learn.

The point being that over many years i have seen many new players logging in and ask simple questions about the game, i have to say the alt f4 response was funny but if aces forced a tutorial for new player they would properly keep them.
It can be hard to work out a game in 1 hour and many players that cant or get any help will leave as most online games as they have a free trial period, after tying new online games out the ones that don't have any real instructions are an uphill battle to get the hang of before being killed with no idea how it happened or what to be looking out for or at.

Just a thought that i am sure would improve the game play for the vets and the new flock.
scooner

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: An idea for HTC
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:27:34 AM »
Your idea has merit. A few years back, a player produced a couple of tutorials using animated screen shots with voice-overs, which he posted in Help&Training. I can't remember the players name...anyone else remember this?

Were it possible to add a "Tutorial/Training" link to the AHII splash screen, with 6 or so of these animations, it might be a good way to fast track new players.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 10:47:03 AM »
Well I'm not sure HTC is very comfortable about "forcing" anyone to do anything.

There is a wealth of information out there, so much in fact that to truly understand most of it takes the average person closer to years to comprehend than weeks or hours. How do you "force" someone to do that?

While I understand the point that you are making, and what your trying to accomplish.
I'm not sure that it is really possible considering the sheer amount of information we are talking about.

Heck you can't even get most of the new guys to go read the trainers site.
They'd rather jump right into the arena's and then ask questions like "how do I fly".

Trying to change that takes an incredible amount of education, time and effort.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 10:50:11 AM »
The player I referred to was Fugitive...here's a link to one of his tutorials

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,258808.0.html

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:53:52 AM »
I think you may be tlaking about my Flash tutorials Max. TC is working with me to get them back on the training site (they were lost in the big hard drive meltdown). I had alway thought of doing a complete one from the first download to shooting drones, but hey my family has to eat !  :)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 10:54:47 AM »
Damn you type fast !  :)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 01:02:20 PM »
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 01:54:39 PM »
Well I'm not sure HTC is very comfortable about "forcing" anyone to do anything.
Sure they are.  Remember CAPs, Remember when HTC wanted to force an order of capture of fields.

There is a wealth of information out there, so much in fact that to truly understand most of it takes the average person closer to years to comprehend than weeks or hours. How do you "force" someone to do that?
That’s true, but just listen to the questions asked by new players and the misleading or just plain wrong answers they sometimes receive.  Wouldn’t it be better for everyone including HTC if the new player/customer received the correct , proper information in a well thought out training session .    Sure the information is available right now, however, if no one knows where it is or takes the time to view it, well, it’s not worth much.
While I understand the point that you are making, and what your trying to accomplish.
I'm not sure that it is really possible considering the sheer amount of information we are talking about.
They'd rather jump right into the arena's and then ask questions like "how do I fly".
I don’t think the OP is trying to force anyone to learn all the material available on the internet for AH.  I think the suggestion was for the new player.  A short required tutorial that explained the view system.  The radio controls, Joy stick set up, Arena selection, aircraft selection,  Aircraft load out and perhaps the spawn points.   Pointing out the training arena for more information about flying an aircraft, BFM, ACM .  A required event that a new user, a two weeker must go through to get to the game.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline mijoieau

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 03:58:06 AM »
My point was i left aces after 10 years to find a new game, i never looked until now, when i did sign up a few games i was forced to do a tutorial and it made the difference of being able to understand the game, no matter how stupid the game is, it was no skin off my nose to spend 1 hour to understand the game.

The main point is i love aces but maybe i haven't had a break in a long time and i need it, after looking around i see improvements in other games like forced tutorials that make the difference in the game play for new sign ups.

If a player cant handle doing a 1 hour tut then they will not pay the fee after the free times over.

All i want is to work out how to make aces off peak liven up and get new players so this is the only thing i have seen that they don't do that maybe would help hold long term customers, even in off peak times.

Scooner

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 10:10:39 AM »
  I think the Idea has merit.  :aok
       When I tried my Grandsons X-box the Call of Duty Game takes you through some basic training, obsticle course, handling guns, grenedes, knives ect. If you don't learn the basics it can be quite frustrating. I didn't mind not getting right into the fray against opponents that would have slaughtered me.
  I try to direct those noobs with many questions to the TA. HTC could send new players right to the TA for a "training hour" I don't think those serious about a flight sim (Game) would mind.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline DeltaFox

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 03:04:55 PM »
Hi,

I recently tried Battleground Europe (WWII Online) to fly their aircraft and see how the game compares to Aces High.

Much like the game I bought years ago for my 1980's computer, "F-14 Tomcat," both, had a basic training type environment you had to complete before being allowed into the game or main combat arena.  

And it was fun doing so.  

It was setup so a person had to complete a phase before moving on to the next phase.

You actually get to fly in rain storms in Battleground Europe.  I guess Belgium is wet.

AND if you had a basic training type tutorial here to Aces High, I would do it just for the fun of doing so.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:30:20 PM by DeltaFox »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 06:36:56 PM »
I think you may be tlaking about my Flash tutorials Max. TC is working with me to get them back on the training site (they were lost in the big hard drive meltdown). I had alway thought of doing a complete one from the first download to shooting drones, but hey my family has to eat !  :)

Yep, Fugitive is correct.......

and his "Instructional Flash Tutorials"  are back up on the

Aces High Trainers Site  ----> http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/

scroll down the menu on the left to:

Instructional Flash Tutorials  ....... and check em out .......

enjoy

Thanks for your much appreciated efforts, Joe ( the Fugitive )  ~S~

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 06:43:57 PM »
I have been saying this for years.....They need to make a required tutorial, where you have to spend so much time in TA....just gets annoying when you see people asking question after question.

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 06:55:51 PM »
I think it's a good idea and should be off-line at the players liesure before they could even start their two week free trial.  Just re-start where you left off or in chapters or something.  Once you've completed it maybe a pop-up asks if your ready to start you're free trial.

I think noobs would have a much more pleasurable experience than jumping into the game wondering how to start the engine.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »
I think it's a good idea and should be off-line at the players liesure before they could even start their two week free trial.  Just re-start where you left off or in chapters or something.  Once you've completed it maybe a pop-up asks if your ready to start you're free trial.

I think noobs would have a much more pleasurable experience than jumping into the game wondering how to start the engine.
:aok
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.