Author Topic: error downloading skins in game  (Read 579 times)

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
error downloading skins in game
« on: August 18, 2010, 03:14:34 PM »
gettin these errors:

"error occurred while downloading 2./jg11 by krusty. could be read-only."

several times. in blue arena
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: error downloading skins in game
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 03:20:36 PM »
That means an error occurred when the game tried to install the skin.  Basically, the file could not be written to your computer, for whatever reason.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 03:32:45 PM »
weeeeeeird.

any idea why it would start doing that all of a sudden? i have not made any changes I am aware of.

i am just now checking my skins folder and it has read only attribute checked. I take it that is incorrect.. even though I never checked it on! 

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
yeap.. that worked. all is well again. thanx skuzzy i assumed it was a problem on your end :neener:
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 02:18:30 PM »
Nope, not on our end at all.  More than likely due to some anti-xxxx software on your computer.  Just a guess.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »
Its happening on ALOT of people computers.

I have not had any problem like this at all in the past, even the skin pack that came out last week.
Strokes

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 08:24:53 PM »
Regarding the read only:

I went to my "skins" directory, hit properties, and it has that "partial checkbox" (solid green, meaning some things apply to this, some don't) under "read only"....

I go into the directory, select all, nothing read-only. I select just the files (not directories) and hit properties, they're all NOT read only.

I select a sub folder and check ITS properties, it has the same solid green box, but the files under it were NOT read only. Note this is a directory I created for my skin creation work, I use it, and I did not set it to "read only".

The directories are somehow being read as read-only in some way, but I don't know which. I selected the overall skins directory, toggled the read only until it was blank, and applied that to all sub folders when it asked me what to do with multiple files.

Should solve the problem, will log in tonight and see.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 02:38:49 AM »
I am running XP, and found that skins would not show even after I dl from the main site.  Then after a squadee reported his skins dl again, I remembered this thread.  I went to the files that I knew were most recent and right clicked on properties. 

This is what I found:

• message at the bottom, "blah blah file came from another computer blah blah your system has blocked this file blah blah"
  • a box beneath the message labeled "unblock"= so I clicked it
  • a box appeared that read "apply" = so I clicked it
  • checked again in the game, and they worked  :cool:

As Skuzzy said there must be some software that is treating these files as malware.  That is my guess, I am not quite the g33k to know for sure.  Let me know if this helps anyone else with XP, or if other operating systems work similarly so I can help those like my squadee when they ask in the game.