Author Topic: torpedo1 (Trim ) Am I missing something  (Read 900 times)

Offline torpedo1

• Zinc Member
torpedo1 (Trim ) Am I missing something
« on: August 24, 2010, 03:40:05 PM »
Ok heres my prob, any time that I select a manual trim key, aircraft always goes out of trim nose low, wing down left, rudder out to left,I cannot manual trim any aircraft,advice would be much appericiated.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: torpedo1 (Trim ) Am I missing something
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 04:06:09 PM »
It would help if I knew what you were trying to do with manual trim. You can easily set the correct trim by using to X key to trim for level flight or Shift X to trim the nose up or down a little. The only manual trim you usually need to do is pre-trimming to dive bomb and trimming the elevator up when you go so fast the stick won't pull the nose up.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:29:54 PM »
What kind of stick are you using?
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline torpedo1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 07:32:36 AM »
Saitek x-52 flight sys

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 10:04:42 AM »
Are you trying to use the rotaries for trim or a button?
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline torpedo1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 12:11:41 PM »
I cannot get the trim wheels and slider to work even tho they are profiled on the stick commands, if I use the keyboard commands i cannot get the trim to function. auto trim works fine.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:22:27 PM »
I cannot get the trim wheels and slider to work even tho they are profiled on the stick commands, if I use the keyboard commands i cannot get the trim to function. auto trim works fine.

have you calibrated your stick in windows, and in ah both?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 12:29:30 PM »
I was trying to help someone else a few weeks ago that was having trouble with the X52.  If I remember correctly the issue was that the button numbering sequence was offset by 1.  What Saitek called button #1, AH recognized as button #0.  If you're doing your setup in the Saitek software I would start by bypassing it and setting up the stick directly in Aces High, at the very least this will eliminate a variable while we try and trouble shoot the issue.

There's an article to walk you through that process on the Trainers Website.
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline torpedo1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 12:41:51 PM »
I don't see a cal window in windows for the stick, so i cal in AH, the window for the stick in windows just shows button function that may be where  its cal"d

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 01:02:23 PM »
 The rotaries on the x52 are seen as analog controlers,as such if you have combat trim on they will not override the "CT" command.

I have an X52 as well and use the rotaries to adjust my trim,so I use a button to disable "CT" or toggle it on or off,then I use the rotaries to adjust the trim.

So you have a couple of options,1) set combat trim in preferences,flight to off.2) set a button to toggle combat trim on/off.3)leave combat trim on and allow it to control the trim settings for you.

90% of the time I have "CT" on and dont bother with the trim,however there are times when I'll toggle it off and adjust the trim manually.

BTW. the urban myth that trim can somehow make you turn better is just that a "MYTH"....

hope this helps,if you have any other questions feel free to ask away.

:salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 04:57:32 PM »
in slow enough fights combat trim on has interfered with some stalling maneuvers on me........'specially in my pee38 o doom.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »
 Yes Cap!

Unfortunately CT doesnt take into account the flap positions,afterall it's a set of tables and based on speed.

So there are times when slow and with flaps out that combat trim will dial in full up elevator and you'll have to fight that by going stick forward to keep nose level. This would be  that other 10% I  didnt mention and would be when I go to manual trim as well.

The P38 is one of the few planes I fly that I turn combat trim off completely,as you mostly use the elevator trim and only need to trim out the other axii{es} if you have some sort of battle damage.

:salute

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 08:55:46 PM »

Keep in mind-

If you use the X52 rotaries for trim, you must move those rotaries through their ranges when you calibrate in the game...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline DaCoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 09:24:45 AM »
I don't see a cal window in windows for the stick, so i cal in AH, the window for the stick in windows just shows button function that may be where  its cal"d
I usually have to install disc that came w/ my X52 to calibrate it in windows then go back ingame and calibrate it again. I only have to do this when ingame calibration just won't take.       :salute
AKDaCoon of the Arabian Knights

MA & FSO 😎

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 10:43:30 AM »
Keep in mind-

If you use the X52 rotaries for trim, you must move those rotaries through their ranges when you calibrate in the game...

Also be aware that if you assign trim to an axis the trim key for that axis won't work.