Author Topic: Johnny Johnson, maths and the 1989 Society of Test Pilot report; revisited.  (Read 22824 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Johnny Johnson, maths and the 1989 Society of Test Pilot report; revisited.
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2010, 02:02:29 PM »
Charge , also do not confuse the 6g limit as corner speed as in AH. Real life corner speed varies between pilots. And today is normally defined by airframe load limits.

Also all could simply be explained by a higher G tolerance by one of the pilots.

Gaston: You really are by definition a Crank. You really believe you know more then all the experts in aerodynamics , and are so blinded by your belief, that you are trying to argue that it is more likely that physics are wrong, rather then your interpretation  of another persons interpretation (one of the pilots) of what really happened in a fight.

HiTech

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2010, 02:55:39 PM »
Everyone knows that physics and maths in particular is just a big conspiracy by the establishment to keep the brothers down.   :rock
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2010, 03:13:53 PM »

Also all could simply be explained by a higher G tolerance by one of the pilots.

Yep! 

I thought about saying that too but I didn't want to take the flak from luftwhiners saying I had some bias vs. german iron because I called the Fw pilot in Johnson's a case meathead.  :D
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2010, 03:21:47 PM »
Personally I hope Gaston manages to rally himself again & keep posting. Not only is it entertaining but I'm learning masses about aerodynamics and aircraft dynamics from all the experts trying to explain it to him :salute
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Gaston

• Copper Member
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2010, 12:55:48 AM »
Gaston the above quote clearly displays your myopic view of engineering and mathematics as it relates to evaluating system performace. Before you make any more asinine statements about mathematics being unable to predict performance maybe you should read the Columbia accident report.

Here it is for you so you can find it easily, http://www.nasa.gov/columbia/home/CAIB_Vol1.html

In particular here are pages 61 and 62 for you to look at. As you will see in the items I outlined for you in red, there was plenty of data available and software, that had clearly predicted the amount of damage that was caused by the strike.

Be sure to click on the image to see it at full scale.

(Image removed from quote.)

I seriously doubt any of this information will deter you from your cause, it's clear to me that you're nothing more than a luftwhining zealot who will not listen to reason.

-You need to read from some OTHER sources than NASA... There were SEVERAL meetings by all the relevant engineers with the project manager herself, some dealing ONLY with the foam impact issue... What did the engineers say? That they don't know...

They DID say on the other hand that they would like to look, but for some reason they didn't want to go through the upper management echelons, and tried to get a request directly to an Army satellite to look for the impact point...

The project manager got wind of the attempt to circumvent the usual hierarchic channels, and contacted the Army to cancel the "improper" satellite photo request.

Even if the math existed that would predict the disaster, you have to wonder why nobody was shouting : "You are going to kill them!"

Not only that, they didn't even bother LOOKING under the wing leading edge...

Maybe because nobody would stake their reputation on what the math predicted, even for the bother of such a minor check?

In the end it is clear only a real-life test convinced everyone, AFTER the disaster, and burst the bubble of the unbelievers...

Real-life tests is also what is sorely missing from all these wonderful WWII simulations... And when the "Society of Experimental Test Pilots" actually tested the P-51D's 6 G Corner Speed in 1989, it came out at 320 MPH... (Despite the amusing gyrations by Badboy as to why it ain't so...)

By the way, how do you like the RAE's conclusions that a P-51B with full underwing drop tanks can out-turn easily a Me-109G? How do you like their conclusion that the same P-51B CLEAN is equal to a FW-190A?

Do you want me to source that?

An interesting snippet of Spitfire performance is in order, since the Johnny Johnson text is about a Mk V...:

"Manoeuvrability

20......... The Spitfire IX was compared with a Spitfire VC for turning circles and dog-fighting at heights between 15,000 and 30,000 feet. At 15,000 feet there was little to choose between the two aircraft although the superior speed and climb of the Spitfire IX enabled it to break off its attack by climbing away and then attacking in a dive."

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit9tactical.html

Soooo... As I suspected, the superiority of the Spit IX over the Spit V was NOT in turning circle (Russian tests have them pretty close too at around 19-20 sec), but in the ability to CLIMB and then dive to attack the Spit V...

Are you willing to bet the Spitfire IX redressed the balance by boom and zooming FW-190As? You would rather not comment?

Gaston

P.S. Ack-Ack, do I have to remind you again Hitech disagreed with your fierce conviction about the "Vertical Turn"? Tsk-Tsk...

G.

Offline Gaston

• Copper Member
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2010, 01:23:43 AM »

I just came accross this (I run into this stuff ALL the time, lol):

"S/L J. B. Prendergast of 414 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 2 May 1945:

The other E/A had crossed beneath me and was being attacked by my No. 2, F/O Fuller. I saw my No. 2’s burst hitting the water and at the same time noticed an oily patch about 75 feet wide on the water and some debris in it which appeared to be parts of wreckage of the E/A which I had just attacked. This was the approximate area that the E/A would have likely gone into. The E/A being attacked by my No. 2 did a steep orbit and my No. 2 being unable to overtake it broke away."

Note the likely TERRIFIC speed the FW-190As were doing as just as they were intercepted:

"when I observed two aircraft which presumably had just taken off the Wismar Airfield as they were at 800/1000 feet flying in a northerly direction and gaining height. I immediately turned into the aircraft, and recognized them as FW.190’s. I at once closed and made a stern attack on the E/A on the left."

Oh, they were above Corner Speed when the second one made that Spitfire Mk XIV-beating orbit just above water, for sure! Lol!

Gaston

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2010, 02:26:54 AM »
Gaston let me clarify what you are saying:-

1. So a Spitfire Mark V out turns Spitfire Mark IX
2. FW190A out-turns a Spitfire Mark V (as admitted by Johnny Johnson in his book)
3. Therefore the FW190A out turns the Spitfire Mark IX, and so the Spitfire's only hope for victory was to 'boom and zoom' the better turning FW190?

Hmm, I think it's perfectly logical as you have stated it. However, using your previous suggestions, couldn't the Spitfire Mark IX pilot have throttled back and out turned the Spitfire Mark V? Where would that leave the FW190A?

Can you please explain the physics and dynamics involved. No mathematics please, I don't believe in any of that new age stuff.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2010, 06:14:27 AM »
"Charge , also do not confuse the 6g limit as corner speed as in AH. Real life corner speed varies between pilots. And today is normally defined by airframe load limits. Also all could simply be explained by a higher G tolerance by one of the pilots."

Hitech, I'm not confusing those, I think... I thought that by corner speed we are talking about aerodynamic corner speed which is defined as the best turn rate and radius the airframe can generate (even though momentarily) and this is something a WW2 era fighter probably cannot maintain due to lack of engine power, thus it is important to interpret the turning chart as a whole and not just one figure at some speed. For modern fighters the corner speed chart is more limited by structural limits due to greater speeds and assumed better G tolerance of pilots, AFAIK.

FW has slightly better ergonomics for high G fight but I thought that that was not a factor in this corner speed range as I understood it.

And with the approach I chose I did not want to refer to Johnson case but approach the situation as it would have developed IRL from a neutral situation as was your original situation setting with equal speeds and equal G onset and see what would happen from that point on considering the differences in designs.

-> by turn radius or rate? I think that while SpitV has a slightly lower corner speed, less weight and thus smaller turn radius and the IX cannot make up for that difference with more power and better turn rate so SpitV is still somewhat better in "turning" when it hits its own corner speed range. Or is it?

2. FW190A out-turns a Spitfire Mark V (as admitted by Johnny Johnson in his book)

->only briefly in certain conditions? Even thought the climb chart gives a different view but I'm not sure if climb performance gives a direct indication of turn performance too (I understand the logic why it should, though). If that would be the case the 190A3 would dominate SpitV on the deck even in turn fight and A5 is not that different form A3 so we would have noticed that kind of phenomenon in AH.

3. Therefore the FW190A out turns the Spitfire Mark IX, and so the Spitfire's only hope for victory was to 'boom and zoom' the better turning FW190?

-> From anecdotal evidence I have understood that FW pilots had the option to tangle with SpitVs even in a knife fight and extend away at will if the situation got bad for them, and that was the advantage SpitIX took away from them while still maintaining good turn performance.

-C+

PS. Personally I'm more interested in A8s performance in this game.  ;)
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2010, 08:46:04 AM »
   I just came accross this (I run into this stuff ALL the time, lol):

"S/L J. B. Prendergast of 414 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 2 May 1945:

The other E/A had crossed beneath me and was being attacked by my No. 2, F/O Fuller. I saw my No. 2’s burst hitting the water and at the same time noticed an oily patch about 75 feet wide on the water and some debris in it which appeared to be parts of wreckage of the E/A which I had just attacked. This was the approximate area that the E/A would have likely gone into. The E/A being attacked by my No. 2 did a steep orbit and my No. 2 being unable to overtake it broke away."

Note the likely TERRIFIC speed the FW-190As were doing as just as they were intercepted:

"when I observed two aircraft which presumably had just taken off the Wismar Airfield as they were at 800/1000 feet flying in a northerly direction and gaining height. I immediately turned into the aircraft, and recognized them as FW.190’s. I at once closed and made a stern attack on the E/A on the left."

Oh, they were above Corner Speed when the second one made that Spitfire Mk XIV-beating orbit just above water, for sure! Lol!

Gaston

Where were they identified as 190A?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2010, 09:33:09 AM »
Charge: You have the concept down, I'm just stating that if the pilot can not take the g's that the plane can handle then it becomes obvious that the corner velocity when analyzing a fight must take each pilot limit into account. I doubt many pilots could stand up to the airframe limit of most wwii fighters.

And this is why using antidoteal evidence like this fight description really can not be used to determine a lot about each airplane. Simple pilot G tolerances could win or loose a fight.

Even different days can change things, there are days where I can take 6'gs almost indefinably. Other days I can hardly pull over 4, and Ive done sustained 7 before when fighting L39's.

But the concept of corner vel is simply slowest speed that you can maintain max g's. How you define Max g's can vary.

HiTech

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2010, 10:40:10 AM »
Charge: You have the concept down, I'm just stating that if the pilot can not take the g's that the plane can handle then it becomes obvious that the corner velocity when analyzing a fight must take each pilot limit into account. I doubt many pilots could stand up to the airframe limit of most wwii fighters.

And this is why using antidoteal evidence like this fight description really can not be used to determine a lot about each airplane. Simple pilot G tolerances could win or loose a fight.

Even different days can change things, there are days where I can take 6'gs almost indefinably. Other days I can hardly pull over 4, and Ive done sustained 7 before when fighting L39's.

But the concept of corner vel is simply slowest speed that you can maintain max g's. How you define Max g's can vary.

HiTech

Well Hitech we all know that some people can take more G's than others its a known fact that life style and body mass help. But im glad you have just probaly looked this up and taken an average persons tolerence to G forces and use them in the game. :) It simplifies it does it not then every player shall have the same reaction to G forces in the game its fair example two comatants start pulling G's  you can be assured that the guy behind you is nowpulling G's to stay with you thus making it harder for him to Shoot :)

Good thinking   :salute
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2010, 06:23:53 PM »
And when the "Society of Experimental Test Pilots" actually tested the P-51D's 6 G Corner Speed in 1989, it came out at 320 MPH...

Gaston, the data available in that report leads to the conclusion that the corner speed for the P-51D was actually 234mph at SL. As shown in the diagram below.

I suspect that you either don't have the full report, which includes the tables and charts that would allow you to confirm what I'm saying, or you don't have the analytical skills to interpret the information or follow the reasoning.

Either way, if you would like any clarification or help in following the logic involved, just ask, I'd be delighted to help.

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Gaston

• Copper Member
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2010, 10:00:55 PM »
Gaston let me clarify what you are saying:-

Hmm, I think it's perfectly logical as you have stated it. However, using your previous suggestions, couldn't the Spitfire Mark IX pilot have throttled back and out turned the Spitfire Mark V? Where would that leave the FW190A?

Can you please explain the physics and dynamics involved. No mathematics please, I don't believe in any of that new age stuff.

-Actually Soviet tests show the Spit Mk IX to slightly out-turn the Mk V at full power, by a fraction of a second, but to me that is still a surprise by the rough rules I have that too much power "pulls" an aircraft "out" of its ideal sustained turn rate by forcing a wider radius...

Also the MK V nose is slightly shorter which in theory should also help it... But at full power unexpected things can happen...

Ideally sustained turns should normally never be done at full power anyway with nose traction, so full power tests (ALL WWII formal turn tests by test pilots are always at full or near-full power) are not the optimal way to properly test and compare sustained turn performance anyway...

According to my theory, you are absolutely right that a downthrottled Spitfire Mk IX could, in theory, downthrottle to improve its sustained turn rate. It could then possibly best a Spitfire Mk V, and could also in theory also best a FW-190A, despite the FW-190A's shorter nose, because the Spitfire has a much lighter wing loading.

(The short nose allows less "pull-out-of-the-turn" leverage, meaning that for a given level of power the short nose's turn-induced OFF-center "tendency to go straight" pull (off center because of the turn) taxes the wingloading less for the effort of lifting the nose: The short nose means off-center is LESS off-center: Less press-down leverage on the wings to lift the nose... This "leverage" does not apply to jet propulsion, which thrust has little, almost none, wingload-increasing thrust leverage since thrusting is from behind the wing's center of lift, which is also the pivot point used to lift the nose. Don't buy the nonsense that this pivot point is 500-700 ft. up in the center of the turn BTW...)

There are many other unpredictable, non-linear issues with sustained nose traction turn performance: I think aircrafts like the Me-109G can turn more tightly initially than a FW-190A or P-51D, but are for some reason aerodynamically "dirtier" while turning, and thus cannot sustain speed in a sustained turn to compete with these two: Oseau demise witness: "His Me-109G6/AS slowed down more in turns than his adversaries (P-51Ds). I had told Oseau the FW-190A was better than the Me-109G" Leo Shuchmacher of II/JG1. "Jagdwaffe Vol. 5 section 3, p.202 . Robert Forsyth.

The problem is that I am only aware of three European fighters where downthrottling was described to improve prolonged sustained flat turns: In theory it should work the same for all, but for some reason was not described for all...

The 3 Euro fighters where it IS described are the FW-190A, the Me-109G and the Merlin P-51 (in quite a dramatic fashion for this last one).

I never read it described for the P-47 despite reading thousands of combat reports, so it could be that peculiarities of both the P-47D and the Spitfire made sustained downthrottling unprofitable for these two types...

What do the P-47D and the Spitfire have in common? Surprisingly they have many handling similarities: They are both very light on the elevator controls at high speeds, but above 300 MPH the Spitfire is probably a bit more skittish, being saddled instead with a peculiar "mushing" tendency that allows it to raise its nose without tightening the turn, but instead allows it to shoot accross the circle with perfect 3 axis control while in a high speed "stall" (which is not a stall because of the full 3 axis control)...

Apparently you could not, above 250-300 MPH, pull back the Spitfire's stick top more than 3/4 of an inch without going into this "mushing" condition, but you could push your luck briefly to shoot "accross" the circle, "as if" you turned much tighter than in reality you could...

And yet, Spitfire dive pull-outs were very impressive, with little apparent tendency to tail-sink nose-up, and could be accomplished so harshly that the wings could be bent: Exact same issue with the P-47D, but the P-47D was stronger.

I think above 250-300 MPH a P-47D Razorback with needle tip prop will slightly out-turn a Spitfire, just like it does the Me-109G at ALL speeds, if for some reason mainly to the left... "The (needle-tip P-47D out-turns our Me-109G" On Special missions, Kg 200 (German-captured P-47D test conclusions: Look it up).

I think at full power the lesser traction of a needle tip P-47D prop allowed better low-speed sustained turning than an ALSO full power paddle-blade prop P-47D below 250 MPH (My boardgame got it wrong on this), because late 1944 bubbletop P-47Ds cannot compete in turns with anything, whereas the needle-tip Razorback could MATCH prolonged sustained turns with a FW-190A-6 in late 1943/early 1944!

I think a needle-tip prop had the SAME effect on the P-47D as downthrottling, but the P-47D being so big and heavy pilots felt psychologically unconfortable in lowering power in turns: As a result later Paddle-blade Bubbletops in late 1944 get matched in turns sometimes even by Me-109Gs(!!!)

It goes without saying, late 1944 P-47Ds cannot compete in sustained turns at all with late 1944 FW-190As... Not even close...

So why no Spitfire downthrottling accounts? I think the Johnny Johnson account is great evidence: Despite its post-war hindsight, he describes going full power and shows no inclination to describe that as a cause of his trouble with the FW-190A...

The American Merlin P-51 pilots were apparently less rigidly "by the book" than UK pilots, and happily ignored what they were taught in flight school with an apparently more acute and less dogmatic survival instinct:

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/mustang/combat-reports/339-hanseman-24may44.jpg

I have yet to hear of a British pilot sustained turn downthrottling account, but it could be the case that the Spitfire's peculiarities did not make downthrottling profitable in sustained turns... Imagine for instance, that the Spitfire's aerodymamics IN TURNS at very low speed is unusually "dirty" below 200 MPH but much "cleaner" turning above 200 MPH: Then you would need to increase the power below 200 MPH to prevent the speed from decelerating far more than the tighter radius would profit you...

My bet is they followed the taught procedure, and the Spitfire WOULD beat other aircrafts downthrottled... They probably followed dogma, unlike the P-51 pilot quoted above... Downthrottling in sustained flat turns was never universally accepted by any air force, as Finnish Ace Karhila hints to us: "Most pilots increased power and then turned. In the same situation I would reduce power and then found I could turn just as well [in a smaller radius]"

I hope this clarified what I meant.

Gaston

P.S. This is a link to my boardgame: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4811054957/m/5031083708?r=5031083708#5031083708

G.

Offline Gaston

• Copper Member
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2010, 10:17:28 PM »
Gaston, the data available in that report leads to the conclusion that the corner speed for the P-51D was actually 234mph at SL. As shown in the diagram below.

I suspect that you either don't have the full report, which includes the tables and charts that would allow you to confirm what I'm saying, or you don't have the analytical skills to interpret the information or follow the reasoning.

Either way, if you would like any clarification or help in following the logic involved, just ask, I'd be delighted to help.

Badboy

I don't have the full report, only a condensed version, but that still paints a clear picture...

-First of all, isn't it your contention that power level does not affect "Corner Speed", since Corner Speed is by definition unsustained?

-Second, I for my part DO think power levels affects the Corner Speed, and more power would NOT bring this down from 320 MPH to 234 MPH like you say, but would likely INCREASE the Corner Speed by a modest amount, say to 340 MPH or maybe more...

-They tested the airframes to 6 G instead of 7 Gs, THAT was the "safety margin" they allowed for the age of the airframes. They DID specify it to clarify the test results...

I do not see any evidence they allowed any other kind of "safety margin", or then obviously their 320 MPH data would then not be the true "Corner Speed": The lowest speed at which 6 G could be reached.

Finally, let's say that they DID allow a safety margin against high-speed stalling (but note they DID stall these aircrafts, thus had no fear of doing so in this testing for low speeds at least), then that margin would have been what? 15 MPH? 20 MPH?

That still leaves us a true Corner Speed well above 300 MPH...

Can't you see that no reasonable "margin of safety" would be allowed to skew data from 234 MPH to 320 MPH?

What would be the value of this expensive test if they did so?

Gaston

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2010, 03:38:44 AM »
No no no Gaston, I did not propose a downthrottled Spitfire Mark IX could out turn a Spitfire Mark V. I myself do not agree with your unique downthrottling theory. If you please reread what I wrote, I said:-

'However, using your previous suggestions, couldn't the Spitfire Mark IX pilot have throttled back and out turned the Spitfire Mark V?'

YOU say that you have 'Actual Soviet tests' which show that the Mark IX would 'slightly' out turn the Mark V at full power. Whether this premiss is true or not, according to YOUR unique theories regarding down throttling to prevent 'nose tracted aircraft' pulling themselves out of their turn at full power, YOUR theory regarding the short nose advantage (in this case the Spitfire Mark V) and YOUR theories regarding the torque from the 'prop disk', now YOUR own data contradicts YOUR own theories.

We are, at this point, two levels deep into Gastonworld.

You see first you construct a model of reality. This is a reasonable approach. Then you apply your hypothesis to that model. When your hypothesis does not fit, you keep your hypothesis, throw away your model and try to find a new model which fits your hypothesis better.

Or you could add something new to your basically illogical hypothesis, like your new award winning 'needle tip prop' theory for example.

You can literally do this forever, and I'm sure you have the stamina to do so as well.

A greater opportunity for understanding would be to feed the model back into your hypothesis and adjust your hypothesis, or even find a new hypothesis.

This is not mathematics Gaston, it's just a sort of very rough logical scientific approach to reason with things and find things out.

Alternatively we could alter the physical structure of the Universe and all its physical properties for you until it's just how you like it. That is an awful lot of work for all the non-Gaston entities in the Universe, but at least your Focke-Wulf will finally out turn a Spitfire.  :rock
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-