Author Topic: Aces High Plane Preview: Mosquito B.XVI  (Read 5293 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Aces High Plane Preview: Mosquito B.XVI
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2010, 04:25:07 PM »
I hit 49k with B17s already without rearm (and obviously snailman more). The point of this is sortie count and damage. If you take a formation you lose drones when you rearm so a formation cannot score higher. A single Lanc could but it takes more time to climb and involves more risk (something not even SHawk is going to endure) but rearms will be required which involve more time and more risk still. Arado formations are okay for CV killing and thats about it.

To further hijack this thread: :D

I'd epect a single (formation) run in Lancasters to break 80K landed damage with the 14x1000 lbs loadout. However, the chance of surviving a run that long are quite low.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2010, 05:06:49 PM »
IMO it shouldn't have formations. It wasn't a 1000-plane-mission type of bird. It was small missions, pinpoint precision. None of this carpet bombing stuff. And it never flew in box formations to cover other bombers with its guns (because... hah! It has none...)

Overall I'd like to see it like the B5N or TBM or B-25H: No drones.

it the Mk B XVI was not a pinpoint precision bomber....... it carried the cookie and dropped it from considerable altitude with all the (in) accuracy that involves. It flew missions in squadron strength against significant strategic targets.

the fighter bomber we have now did fly many intruder raids very often just as a pair some times even solitary raids (particularly into Southern France and Northern Italy from Sicily or Southern Italy) It was far more "precision" in its role. It was essentially an attack aircraft.

My view is that it (Mk B XVI) should be formation enabled and perked appropriately. It does not have to have been a participator in mass bombing raids to qualify for this IMO.

My biggest concern is its (Miss) use in AH against  GV's. One way to fight this would be to make it perked and ONLY available in formations when carrying the cookie (or simply perk the cookie).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:10:32 PM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2010, 05:36:59 PM »
My biggest concern is its (Miss) use in AH against  GV's.

In the light of carpet bombing Lancs (incl cookie), A20s, B25H's and 37mm cannon wielding Il-2s, that shouldn't change the game much for the tankers ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2010, 05:44:05 PM »
What you dont 'get' is that time isnt material in bomber mode. In the aircraft you mention you cannot bomb from altitude. With the Arado you not only can but should. A formation comes with all sorts of unintended baggage like lack of maneuverability (although lots of people dont let that stop them) and they also offer a much broader target to puffy ack and you cannot rearm without losing your drones (not to mention what a momentary lag will do to them). I never carry the cannon either because I think the dispersal cone of the rounds is a bit 'gamey' and gimmicked (just my opinion) and it slows you down. Its much better in my way of thinking to keep moving than it is to try to setup some ridiculous face shot on a trailing fighter but thats just me.

Now if the Mosquito comes without a bombsight thats different but I suspect it will become even more handy than a single Arado. I dont think the P-47s will be a problem at all but thats just me.  :D
The Arado is one of the most useful planes in the game in pretty much every aspect.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2010, 07:24:39 PM »
The Arado is one of the most useful planes in the game in pretty much every aspect.

No but you gimmick it well.  :D
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
it the Mk B XVI was not a pinpoint precision bomber....... it carried the cookie and dropped it from considerable altitude with all the (in) accuracy that involves. It flew missions in squadron strength against significant strategic targets.

A squadron of Mossies (2 flights? 8-10 planes?) is a frakking helluva lot less impressive and destructive than the NORM of 1000-plane missions for heavy bombers carpet bombing millions of pounds of high explosive ord.

There is no way you will ever compare a mossie 16 to a heavy level bomber.

The B5Ns are more akin to heavy bombers than the Mossie is! At least they flew massive missions with level bombing (Pearl and other areas of the PTO). Frankly it'd be a travesty to have formations on everything with a bombsight. That includes the Mossie. It's just not that type of plane.

Offline cooldued

• Nickel Member
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2010, 12:31:46 AM »
A squadron of Mossies (2 flights? 8-10 planes?) is a frakking helluva lot less impressive and destructive than the NORM of 1000-plane missions for heavy bombers carpet bombing millions of pounds of high explosive ord.

There is no way you will ever compare a mossie 16 to a heavy level bomber.

The B5Ns are more akin to heavy bombers than the Mossie is! At least they flew massive missions with level bombing (Pearl and other areas of the PTO). Frankly it'd be a travesty to have formations on everything with a bombsight. That includes the Mossie. It's just not that type of plane.

take that 4000 pound bomb and multipli it by 10 now thinkthats 8 or 9 hangers gone right thayer!(not all the planes will hit a target) and yes the new mossi is able to hold a 4000 if you didnt read my last post hear.
Planes I'm good in the Bf-109 G14, the B-25C, and the B-17G not many but its nice for me to know :P

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2010, 01:30:07 PM »
Frankly it'd be a travesty to have formations on everything with a bombsight.

Then we disagree.............

and IMO the B5n should be available in formations...........

1000 bomber raids have no relevance in AH until we can get AI in scenarios....its just a red herring arguement IMO.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »
To further hijack this thread: :D

I'd epect a single (formation) run in Lancasters to break 80K landed damage with the 14x1000 lbs loadout. However, the chance of surviving a run that long are quite low.

Its not necessarily the getting shot down thats gonna end it. I usually don't encounter any enemy fighter at 25K+. The problem i have is staying connected to HTC long enough to land. Which i can't.

I had dropped all 14 bombs today but i discoed RTB. Talk about pissed off
someone named pervert is thanking someone named badboy for a enjoyable night?

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2010, 09:42:19 PM »
If you ever hear of a higher damage count please let me know.  :D

(Image removed from quote.)
EGOOOOO.... but i saw this also during the time i was in the game :aok still good job! :lol
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2010, 12:04:52 AM »
EGOOOOO.... but i saw this also during the time i was in the game :aok still good job! :lol

Ha! No I just want to know where to set the bar when this new Mossie arrives. It sounds like great fun and a good plane to know well.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2010, 11:02:54 AM »
Ha! No I just want to know where to set the bar when this new Mossie arrives. It sounds like great fun and a good plane to know well.
agreed :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2010, 03:22:14 AM »
Update: New record... fights are non-existent on our side as rooks-knights are playing patty-cake:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:56:13 AM by Chalenge »

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2010, 09:40:27 AM »
Update: New record... fights are non-existent on our side as rooks-knights are playing patty-cake:

(Image removed from quote.)

So how many rearms did that take?  :rofl
someone named pervert is thanking someone named badboy for a enjoyable night?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2010, 02:12:11 PM »
Twelve and I was having trouble with a data cable toggling my bomb load in transit or the count would have been higher.  :aok