Author Topic: How to stop hordes?  (Read 4372 times)

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
Re: How to stop hordes?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 04:25:48 PM »
Stop a horde by becoming the horde; take a base while they're trying to swoop yours up...    :cheers:
This appears to be the best bet.  But, that means two (or three) offenses running amok, which lead to ...

Increase the radar range and decrease the NOE height.

Oh, wait....

wrongway
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 04:42:40 PM »
I'll pull every Pig available into a fighter sweep or GV roll to bring maximum pain to their take attempt.  Mind you, a large determined horde will steamroll even the most seasoned group of pilots.  It's just best to pork ords and troops, and harass the heck out of them until they burn themselves out.  Yes, they will get some bases...

mmMMMMmmmm he said "seasoned pork".
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 05:00:09 PM »

mmMMMMmmmm he said "seasoned pork".

I don't care who you are, that's funny! :lol
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 05:10:56 PM »
fust fight em, and enjoy the fight.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 05:23:15 PM »
My opinion on stopping hordes is to counter punch.  That is, hit their ords, troops and hangars along the front.  With a nod to the ‘Fun Police,’ sinking a horde’s cv is a quick way to stop them.  I’ve given up on fighter sweeps, though, a good squad should be able to disrupt the horde conveyor belt that usually develops. 

How to stop a horde?  Is it even possible?

The problem with the counter stroke is that the saying "the best defense is a good offense" is often taken to be true regardless of the situation and circumstances. You need to be able to tell when you're fighting out of your weight, and start focusing on loosing ground as slow as possible, IMO. Attacking without a clear plan, or in piecemeal just makes it easier to be stopped, which seems to happen a lot in the MA's. There also seems to be a lot of this happening:

"alright, fighter sweep to defend A*** begins in 10 mins, join up."
"System: A*** has been captured by the *attacking chess piece*"
"aw crap, they got it. Nice job *defending chess piece*, real great defense there. mission to retake A*** rolls in 15 mins, join up"

What I feel works best for stopping the hoards is an imediate and direct counter punch. Get as many La-7's, 190D's, and P-51's as you can to up, and hurl them at the opposing hoard. The further from your base you can start to inflict noticiable losses, the better. Many will see its going to turn into a fight, and go find a place where they can sneak a base, or put a cap on it. Unfortunatly, this is also true for your side. If it looks like they will have to fight like hell to have even a prayer of keeping the base, many will leave.

Just my $0.02.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 09:09:26 PM »
Often the problem with stopping hordes is not enough bodies. Period

I dont know about anyone else. And maybe its just the times I have been logging on. But I've noticed a noticeable drop in people when I get to an arena.
As often as not I see two sides with a bunch of numbers (in line with whatever the arena Cap is) and one side with hardly anyone on.
sometimes its the side Im on. sometimes its the other sides. I know the other night the Knits when I was on just rolled base after base against what can only be discribed as token resistance.
And not because the other side didnt care. but because the other side flat out didnt have the numbers to defend anything. Even if they brought 75% of the total side against us. They still would have been out numbered. We could have all been fling planes from the WWI arena and I honestly dont think it would have made much of a difference.

The best ways to for lessor numbers to defend against a horde when your side is vastly out numbered have been taken away. the ability to pork fuel. and now its harder to get to the barracks. And the increase in feild ack has proven to be a double edged sword...Well triple edged if you include the dweebs that all they do it hide in it regardless of numbers.
but while its made it more difficult for the hordes to take down a base. It also made it much more difficult for those with lessor numbers that want to defend by attacking (which is always the best solution) to attack the things that are needed to to stop the horde.

Short of HTC installing some sort of mandatory side balancing cap to keep numbers relatively even. I dont know what the best answer is.
I know a Cap as described above would probably be looked at with even more disdain then ENY or the arena Caps
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »

What I feel works best for stopping the hoards is an imediate and direct counter punch. Get as many La-7's, 190D's, and P-51's as you can to up, and hurl them at the opposing hoard. The further from your base you can start to inflict noticiable losses, the better. Many will see its going to turn into a fight, and go find a place where they can sneak a base, or put a cap on it. Unfortunatly, this is also true for your side. If it looks like they will have to fight like hell to have even a prayer of keeping the base, many will leave.

Just my $0.02.

Yes, in most cases Any time you spend more time fighting over your base in defence. then in no mans land or over the enemies base. youronly delaying the inevitable loss of that base.

If your going to take on the horde itself. it is always best ot do it away from your own base.
Even if they are currently at yoru base you should make an effort to up elsewhere and head towards theirs. Even a few people can delay quite a few aircraft long enough for the planes at a friendly base to recover and head to the enemy base
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline L0nGb0w

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 09:31:14 PM »

:devil
~Kommando Nowotny~
ZLA - Don't Focke Wulf Us

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 10:13:38 PM »
Best way to stop a horde is the be the utmost pain in the arse you can possibly be and shatter their hopes and dreams of world domination from the armchair general that planned the evil mission. 

Up from the closest base, stay high and wait for them to take the town down and just go goon hunting. Worse that happens is that even if you fail, you see a bunch of 110s and spits frantically trying everything they possibly can to HO/ram you so you wont hit their troops. Nothing gives more shame than 30+ effort being thwarted by just one guy and even just one horde mission goes awry out of 100..its still worth it  :D
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 11:05:41 PM »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 12:03:49 AM »
But without the horde how can I up an l-gay(yea i know), fly right through the niki's and 110s and kill the goons. I just wish there was a way to eavesdrop on the mission channel right after.  :t
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 01:43:03 AM »
How to stop horde:

Announce to The Few DFC that KOTH is beginning in 5 mins.

perdweeb
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 03:34:42 AM »
Stop a horde by becoming the horde; take a base while they're trying to swoop yours up...    :cheers:
Or better yet take your horde and fight their. Most like the path of least resistance and any concerted force will break it.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 03:47:01 AM »
It appears that the latest changes to the game have forced countries to work together more... not less. There were whines about the base sneaks and then the changes were made to make it tougher and more people fly in missions now. Now your whining to push it back the other way.

Make up your mind already.  :D
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Zygote404

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 04:40:01 AM »
Remove Eny caps affecting plane availability and have it affect the hp of structures such as town buildings and respawn time of hangers. Problem solved. If you think about it it works like that in real life as well.  More desperate an enemy the harder to root him out.

Also

No "You shot down #" or "# shot you down" for planes with wheels on runway.  Pretty sure lots of people don't up on horde because of the vulching.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:42:48 AM by Zygote404 »