Author Topic: Coral World  (Read 2455 times)

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
Re: Coral World
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 08:20:30 AM »
Terrain is actually ready and I must only check it and send to HTC's Skuzzy. Normal world bisnes has keep me busy on last week...
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 02:21:32 PM »
...I hope HTC release some day embankments and cliffs as IL2 has...

Fantastic work.  <S>

Do terrain designers have control over those little glued on hills that made a return in the latest version?  Are those hardcoded in shape and location or can designers change them into custom designed embankments or cliffs?  It sure would be nice to have a BoB terrain with real Cliffs of Dover instead of no cliffs or very gradual slopes dictated by the coarse AH altitude grid.

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 12:43:08 AM »
Fantastic work.  <S>

Do terrain designers have control over those little glued on hills that made a return in the latest version?  Are those hardcoded in shape and location or can designers change them into custom designed embankments or cliffs?  It sure would be nice to have a BoB terrain with real Cliffs of Dover instead of no cliffs or very gradual slopes dictated by the coarse AH altitude grid.

What are you referring to here...just curious...

Is this the battery pimple?

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 10:36:05 PM »
The shore battery hill is one version, but I was referring to the little hills (about twice the height of a tank) place all around the terrain for GVs to hide behind. 

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 11:57:32 PM »
kanttori,

How do you achieve the variegated look to the water?

I am not a terrain designer (just a user)..when we flew the last scenario the Mindanao terrain had this mono-chromatic deep blue right from the beach on out...zero variation across the entire sea

I was always under the impression that water was always stuck with a single tile or bitmap to paint it...for the entire map...

One of the things that always struck me as odd and wrong in the game was the color of the water in the bays and estuaries and along the coast was always the same color...as the deep oceans and seas...

In Mindanao when you look out the bridge of the carrier the water frankly looks terrible even with all of the detail cranked up...its completely a uniform cartoon blue that gives no sense whatsoever of depth of field or variation...

So how do you make the water change like that?

If you can make coral reefs, can't you also make white caps and swells?

If a carrier was in your coral reef water, would you see that from the bridge of the boat?

Oneway
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:59:11 PM by oneway »

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 01:36:52 AM »
WATER EFFECTS

It has been possible almost one year to texturize water. We have a possibility to 12 underwater textures (also land has 12), so there can be couple of different corals, sand, rock, mud etc. Actually there is no sea bottom, but those textures makes effect that there is! Notice that I used with the Okinawa terrain only two different coral textures and one rock/sand texture...

There is also "deepness" possibility to the water with 256 grayscale bitmap. We can create an illusion where the coastal areas has low water which is going deeper when you sail far away from the land. We can for ex. take a real world elevation data where low water and deep sea are on their geographical positions. You can see all these effects from the bridge of the Carrier or PT-boat.

We can also "paint" different water colors, for ex. deep blue ocean or muddy green rivers and low lakes. As you can see there is possibility to make awesome looking water areas. I am really trying it with my next update, which is Karelia map. That terrain is full of sea, litlle muddy lakes, bright ponds, rivers and waterways... Okinawa terrain is just a small test with those water effects! ;)

We can not create swells, they are always default ones which you can see in every terrain.

HILLS

We have control over couple of different hills, but actually there are not so high/big ones that we can make those Dover Cliffs jus now. I hope and believe that there are coming also more of them some day.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 01:38:47 AM by kanttori »

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 06:40:40 AM »
Fantastic terrain with a very detailed and realistic look.  Having flown over and around Okinawa, I can say that the coral effects are awesome.  And, Ie Shima looks great--the airfields and the hill are just as conspicuous as they are in real life.  That's an incredible map and some great work.  I had seen some of your earlier working images, but I've got to say the finished product is amazing.

Good call on the beaches too.  They are few and far between on Oki.  Most places are rocky/small cliffs.  That's probably as close to a real-life interpretation of Okinawa as you can get with the terrain editor--excellent.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline cooldued

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 12:59:44 AM »
I know I'm going to be ban for a couple days for replying but I'm going to. This is the most amazingly detailed and realistic terrain iv ever seen, I hope for the best. :salute
Planes I'm good in the Bf-109 G14, the B-25C, and the B-17G not many but its nice for me to know :P

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 07:28:40 AM »
I know I'm going to be ban for a couple days for replying but I'm going to. This is the most amazingly detailed and realistic terrain iv ever seen, I hope for the best. :salute

Thank You Cooldued! This terrain is ready and it is coming out to SEA and AvA on December. Now I am working with the new Karelia terrain.