Author Topic: Most capable bombers of WWII by nationality  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
Re: Most capable bombers of WWII by nationality
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2010, 07:26:30 PM »
No no, not because of supply issues, and lack of parts to service a plane with, but because of random failures. If the 262 didn't have more than 50 working at any one time because of random failures with the plane, and not because of lack of parts or fuel, then I'd say don't add it, except they already did.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2010, 07:29:38 PM »
No no, not because of supply issues, and lack of parts to service a plane with, but because of random failures. If the 262 didn't have more than 50 working at any one time because of random failures with the plane, and not because of lack of parts or fuel, then I'd say don't add it, except they already did.

Well then you'd never get your vaunted B-29.  More B-29s were lost due mechanical malfunctions than to enemy fire of any type.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Nemesis, did you read the quote I posted? Then we need to include the He 177 since most of its problems were maintenance and supply related, not "random failures". The He 177 crews loved the plane, and compared to the rest of the Luftwaffe bomber force it only suffered a less than 10% loss ratio rather than 60-70% on the western front.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2010, 07:53:48 PM »
C'mon, how can you not want this plane in the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GnDfmdgNt4

:)
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2010, 08:04:07 PM »
I've decided the B-29 would be detrimental to game play. Enough hanger porkers on already, we don't need to give them a hand.

And I'm saying we shouldn't get it only if 60-70% of aircraft were put out of action because of random failures, not because of logistical problems.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Baldrick

• Zinc Member
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2010, 12:56:43 AM »
The He177 was a disaster and can be entirely eliminated from competition simply for its attempt to bring back WWI Gotha mission abort rates.

It was a disaster up to 1944 when the A-5 was introduced, this version was completely 'debugged'
wrt engine fires. I have a relative who worked as a He 177 mechanic, he says pilot confidence
in the aircraft was still low due to its history. By 1944 the Germans did not have much use for
it anyway, apart from some anti-shipping missions from Norway and a few special missions
with KG 200.