Author Topic: Kindle and "E" readers.  (Read 1295 times)

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Kindle and "E" readers.
« on: September 17, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
Hey guys, the wife is looking into getting one of these "E" reader thingies.

Neither of us knows very much about them or if any brands are better than others. :old:

Anybody have any helpful input?

Thanks,  Mr. and Mrs. Boner
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
Re: Kindle and "E" readers.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:16:57 PM »
Pretty sure Ghosth knows a good one. I'll try and get him on here for ya.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 05:17:29 PM »
I think Ghosth is all over the E reader things.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »
Depends where you want to get your books more than anything else.

If you don't mind paying market price for the books you want to read, and if you want to read the latest best sellers then your going to want to look at either Kindle or Sony.

If you don't mind reading Public Domain classics, or your a fair pirate, or if you want more control over your ereader, then you might want to look at the Ectaco Jetbook or Jetbook Lite. Jetbook uses a Li-ion battery (like a big cell phone battery) gets up to 20 hours on a charge, has an SD card slot with support for up to 32 gig sd or sdhc cards. Jetbook lite runs on 4 AA battery's (think rechargeable) and gets 20 hours or more from a set.

Jetbook Mini is just about to debut, it runs for longer on AAA batterys, but currently only supports 2 file formats. Jetbook and Jetbook lite support about 10.

Jetbook has no wifi or 3g, but your not paying for it either.

It does come with a USB cable, but a USB to SD card adapter costs about 3$ and is considerably faster.

Jetbook's are currently running around 100$ at newegg, Jetbook Lite has been seen as low as 70$ at newegg.

Last, check out Mobileread
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/index.php

Just about everything having to do with ebooks and ereaders can be found here, along with a lot of great books.

FYI in the past year I've bought 4 Jetbooks, and 3 lites. Wife uses 1, daughter is using my old one, my Dad and my father in law each got one, I'm currently reading on a JBL, we have one JBL going for my wifes boss for christmas, and I have a JBL new in the box as a spare. :)

FYI a 2 gig SD card will hold enough books that it will take most people a decade to even come close to reading them all. I have over 4000 books on my 4gig card, and its 2/3rds empty.

If you want to talk about sources I'd suggest a PM. :)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:30:39 PM by Ghosth »

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:46:59 PM »
Researched electronic readers last year and bought the smaller Kindle for wife. Fabulous! We do most of our reading now on Kindle. Kindle also plays great on computers -- buy one book and read it on Kindle or all of your home computers. I prefer reading Kindle books on my 23-inch computer screen but they are also great on laptop and netbook computers as well as the Kindle itself.

Go to amazon.com and check out the many reviews of Kindle. Paper books soon will be as quaint as papyrus.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 01:23:57 AM »
I have a Kindle and like it very much.  Stores hundreds of books, which is nice for me since I usually read several books at once.  This way I can move between them depending on what I feel like reading at any particular time, and it saves my place on all of them.  I haven't messed with the newspaper or magazine subscriptions, but they are available for it, and pretty cheaply too, most books even new releases are 10 bucks or less and there are tons of free classic books to download as well.  I love the thing.  I wish it gave you a page number, but that's the only complaint I have about it.  I would recommend it to any avid reader.
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 01:54:30 AM »
I have a Kindle and like it very much.  Stores hundreds of books, which is nice for me since I usually read several books at once.  This way I can move between them depending on what I feel like reading at any particular time, and it saves my place on all of them.  I haven't messed with the newspaper or magazine subscriptions, but they are available for it, and pretty cheaply too, most books even new releases are 10 bucks or less and there are tons of free classic books to download as well.  I love the thing.  I wish it gave you a page number, but that's the only complaint I have about it.  I would recommend it to any avid reader.

Madda, we told you already....  You're not allowed to learn to read. 
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »
Hey guys, the wife is looking into getting one of these "E" reader thingies.

Neither of us knows very much about them or if any brands are better than others. :old:

Anybody have any helpful input?

Thanks,  Mr. and Mrs. Boner

the most helpful thing i can say(and i mean no offense) is to forget those things. if ya wanna read, read a book. made of paper.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Ghosth

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 03:26:48 PM »
Cap number one, thats really not helpfull at all, and if thats the way you feel why bother inflicting your opinion on others who obviously don't feel that way????

Cap, there are 2 kinds of people in this world.

Those who love books period.
Those who love books because they love to read.

If your one of those who just plain loves books, stick with them.
I have friends that are the same way, and I really don't try to convert them.

But if your about the reading, then if you ever get an e-book reader you'd never go back to paper.

Time and time and time again at the mobile read forums we hear about people who don't understand the whole ereader thing. Then they get one, and over 90% of the time within a month they are telling us they don't understand why they waited so long. And that they will never go back to reading paper books.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 03:29:48 PM by Ghosth »

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 04:02:07 PM »
Cap number one, thats really not helpfull at all, and if thats the way you feel why bother inflicting your opinion on others who obviously don't feel that way????

But if your about the reading, then if you ever get an e-book reader you'd never go back to paper.

Time and time and time again at the mobile read forums we hear about people who don't understand the whole ereader thing. Then they get one, and over 90% of the time within a month they are telling us they don't understand why they waited so long. And that they will never go back to reading paper books.

+1
Ihave been a book reader.I would love a kindle but I think I will use both . The paper books For the nostalgia and the kindle for the nuance!
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 04:25:56 PM »
Madda, we told you already....  You're not allowed to learn to read. 

Well can I at least pretend to know how?
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 04:26:38 PM »

there's 3 types. there are those that love books, and love to read them. i'm that type.....when i have the time. i love reading old ww2 stuff right before i go to sleep. lately though, the time hasn't been there, as i just tend to hit the bed, and am unconscious before i settle in.

then there's the paranoid side too, concerning technical things.......but we don't need to go there.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 01:09:53 AM »
  Although I think its cool, and I thought of the idea years ago (me and probably a thousand others) I prefer real paper books. They look better on the shelves too :)

~AoM~

Offline Ghosth

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 07:44:24 AM »
Yes but Filth you can't put 4,000 of your favorite books in your back pocket and come to AH con.

I can. :)

Don't get  me wrong, I love books  too, but my wife and I both read. We just plain ran out of space to put more books. So we went digital, or mostly so, wife still reads some paper from time to time.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 11:08:37 AM »
My wife and I are avid readers. We also live full time in an RV with limited storage space. We often go the used bookstores and spend about $200 on what we like to read every 3 months or so. Her, mystery novels and me, Sci Fi as well as history.

The E book looks to be a real match for us but I am concerned for the cost of the readers (we'll need 2) and more importantly the cost of the books. Is there a "walmart" of E books out there or someplace we can get them at about the same price or less than used paperbacks?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown