Author Topic: Well, it's your $15....  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Well, it's your $15....
« on: October 09, 2010, 11:01:16 AM »
So I don't fly as much now as I used to. Part of it is because recent updates cause weird performance issues: My FR is fine, rarely dipping out of the 50s, but there's situations where things get....jerky. What I mean is, everything is smooth, then it jumps, then it's smooth, then it jumps, in a very regular pattern. Unfortunately it also makes things very difficult in a fight. It started doing this around the 2.18 or 2.19 update. I've tried tweaking graphics settings, and it doesn't make a difference. It has SOMETHING to do with flying online, because everything is fine playing with the offline drones.

ANYWAY, so I decide to jump into the EW arena where there's a couple people on for a couple light fights. I check the roster, and there's two Bish and one Nit. The Nit is attacking Rook Land, so I go Rook to up and find some action. I have the bandit on Dot Dar IB to a V-base, and I am climbing out to an intercept position. He turns around and runs home. I'm not even CLOSE to being in dot range--hell, I'm still almost a sector out--and he turns around and runs home.

Keep in mind, there's only ONE person online as a Nit. I know who you are.

I get to his base and circle a bit, then shed some altitude and head back south. There's only one Nit online, so I know EXACTLY who it was.

I send him a message: "I'm cruising S of field at Angels 5. Come and get me."

I run a holding pattern about halfway between our two bases with my power on max loiter at 5000ft and wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. He's still online, and sitting in the tower. He knows where I am (I'm sitting in his dar circle) and what my altitude is. He could even grab himself a massive altitude advantage because he knows EXACTLY where I am, and he just sits in the tower.

Finally after a good 30mins or so of flying around I get fed up and RTB.

I mean, seriously. Yeah, it's his 15 bucks, but what the hell is the point of spending 15 bucks a month on a MMO game subscription when you won't take off while another player is in the area? If you want to play with the AI, you can fly offline for free as much as you want. You don't even have to pay for the game ITSELF.

Maybe the EWA and MWA should become a fighters-only game like the WWI arenas with all ordinance disabled. If you can't bomb and milkrun bases in GVs, maybe people will actually fight.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Well, it's your $15....
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 11:08:46 AM »
I think that anytime an LW pilot comes over to early war, they all whisper to one another and collaborate to avoid all fights so that the LW guy will go away.  Once he leaves, the EW party starts back up again. That is the most likely explanation obviously.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 11:46:32 AM »
I thought the EW had bomb**** rejects from the DA in it. Surprised the guy didn't just ditch whatever he was flying and move to a different area like they normally do in there.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Harp00n

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 11:57:38 AM »
Maybe you should go to the DA next time? Looks like the guy wasn´t interested in playing the game the way you want it to be played.  :noid

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 12:03:23 PM »
If it was me I wouldn't do it either I'd rather sneak a base, maybe he's like me he dosen't care for 1v1s.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 12:04:01 PM »
Looks like the guy wasn´t interested in playing the game the way you want it to be played.  :noid
It was you wasn't it?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 12:11:02 PM »
there is definately a band of fellows in EW and MW who prefer to play the game against AI.  They are interested in operating as a team (squad) taking undefended bases mostly, and DO NOT LIKE human opposition.

And yes,  It is there money and they are entitled to play the game however they want.  Not much fun for the rest of us but thats the way this cookie crumbles.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 12:16:15 PM »
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 12:23:39 PM »
So I don't fly as much now as I used to. Part of it is because recent updates cause weird performance issues: My FR is fine, rarely dipping out of the 50s, but there's situations where things get....jerky. What I mean is, everything is smooth, then it jumps, then it's smooth, then it jumps, in a very regular pattern. Unfortunately it also makes things very difficult in a fight. It started doing this around the 2.18 or 2.19 update. I've tried tweaking graphics settings, and it doesn't make a difference. It has SOMETHING to do with flying online, because everything is fine playing with the offline drones.

ANYWAY, so I decide to jump into the EW arena where there's a couple people on for a couple light fights. I check the roster, and there's two Bish and one Nit. The Nit is attacking Rook Land, so I go Rook to up and find some action. I have the bandit on Dot Dar IB to a V-base, and I am climbing out to an intercept position. He turns around and runs home. I'm not even CLOSE to being in dot range--hell, I'm still almost a sector out--and he turns around and runs home.

Keep in mind, there's only ONE person online as a Nit. I know who you are.

I get to his base and circle a bit, then shed some altitude and head back south. There's only one Nit online, so I know EXACTLY who it was.

I send him a message: "I'm cruising S of field at Angels 5. Come and get me."

I run a holding pattern about halfway between our two bases with my power on max loiter at 5000ft and wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. He's still online, and sitting in the tower. He knows where I am (I'm sitting in his dar circle) and what my altitude is. He could even grab himself a massive altitude advantage because he knows EXACTLY where I am, and he just sits in the tower.

Finally after a good 30mins or so of flying around I get fed up and RTB.

I mean, seriously. Yeah, it's his 15 bucks, but what the hell is the point of spending 15 bucks a month on a MMO game subscription when you won't take off while another player is in the area? If you want to play with the AI, you can fly offline for free as much as you want. You don't even have to pay for the game ITSELF.

Maybe the EWA and MWA should become a fighters-only game like the WWI arenas with all ordinance disabled. If you can't bomb and milkrun bases in GVs, maybe people will actually fight.

ya shoulda bailed, and waited in the field gun of the base he was headed to.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 12:26:30 PM »
Or we could give him the benefit of the doubt that something came up so he landed and went afk.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 12:28:37 PM »
Or we could give him the benefit of the doubt that something came up so he landed and went afk.

you mean like the phone, or like a funny noise outside? or one of the kids suddenly needs ya? 
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
Flying around looking for a fight in EW: 30 minutes
Coming to the bbs to share the experience: 30 minutes
Total time wasted: 1 hr

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 12:36:07 PM »

Nope. When I saw him turn tail for base I pursued. He had already landed by the time I arrived, so I circled around the edge of the area out of AAA range to see if he'd up for a fight or pop up somewhere else (I see this one a LOT in MWA. Guys up, see enemies up to counter, run home and reup on the other side of the map). Instead he took a couple pot shots at me from one of the field guns before I retired to my holding position and "invited" him out to play.

Maybe you should go to the DA next time?

If you've ever spent any appreciable time in the DA, you'd know EXACTLY why I preferred to look for a fight in one of the smaller arenas.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 12:41:28 PM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 12:51:49 PM »
hmmmmm... good thing he's not in Texas or he'd have to pay tax on that.

I heard about this arena where, no matter what, if there's one regular in there they'll duke it out every time... *thinks*... ummm where's Jaeger?   He know the directions and stuff I just go by the landmarks  :t
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 02:07:54 PM »
the true shame of this is that the ew arena used to be a fun place to play. when i was with the hired guns, we were in there on a regular basis, and there were fights pretty much every night.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"