Author Topic: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD  (Read 24273 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD
« Reply #225 on: October 14, 2010, 03:14:27 PM »
FWIW, Snoopy was the first cartoon pilot and that was way back in the 60s.

In the truncated AH community I rarely, if ever, saw the word cartoon used to describe the game until only the past few years.  In most uses the word cartoon is applied in a manner that belittles the game and anyone who plays the game seriously.

Oh come on.  Belittles?  Isn't that a bit too strong?

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #226 on: October 14, 2010, 03:24:59 PM »

In the truncated AH community I rarely, if ever, saw the word cartoon used to describe the game until only the past few years.  In most uses the word cartoon is applied in a manner that belittles the game and anyone who plays the game seriously.

Flip Corkin was a pretty good cartoon pilot back in the 40s, based on Phil Cochran and the 1st Air Commandos, but that's beside the point :)

As for cartoon pilots.  It is what it is.  I'm a 50 year old guy with a passion for WW2 aviation history that goes back 2nd grade.  I'd be a fool to take myself so seriously to believe I'm really a 22 year old 1940s era guy flying a real P38G.  It's my imagination at work in a computer game. 

If acknowledging that we are cartoon fighter pilots is belittling to you, I can't help that.  I take no offense at it myself as it is what it is.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #227 on: October 14, 2010, 03:27:53 PM »

bugs bunny was flying bombers long before snoopy climbed into his fighter.  :neener:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #228 on: October 14, 2010, 03:28:44 PM »
Now that you mention it: those early Tech Orders were full of cartoon pilots  :aok
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #229 on: October 14, 2010, 03:37:32 PM »
Biggles 1932 :aok

71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2010, 03:42:59 PM »
Can't forget the RAF's wartime hero from the Tee Emm series used for training etc.

Good old P/O Prune
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #231 on: October 14, 2010, 03:57:07 PM »
 :lol
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2010, 03:57:22 PM »
Hmm... just took another look at the numbers and noticed a sudden and massive drop in EW arena "activity" numbers (=kills in that arena) since we got the new towns and fields. Less than one quarter of the kills being made compared to the tours before.

EW had always suffered from having the very same settings as LW (ack, field sizes, downtimes), despite much less capable equipment. (Oh, and EW still has the huge 25miles dar rings)
But possibly the new towns and bases had an additional effect?

Now  some will say "Who cares, that was a milkrunner arena anyways".
Yes it was... but people fighting those milkrunners still got thousands of kills each tour. If there's no one left milking, no one will get shot down ;)

in my opinion EW is dead since right after the big change. Too bad was fun at times.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #233 on: October 14, 2010, 04:11:04 PM »

in my opinion EW is dead since right after the big change. Too bad was fun at times.

S.O.A.R.S.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #234 on: October 14, 2010, 04:15:13 PM »
S.O.A.R.S.

Those guys were a blast to fly against (and sometimes with) in the EW.

They would try to roll base after base and it only took one or 2 guys to foil them.

Seemed like they had a really good time though. And so did I.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline oceans11

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2010, 04:20:35 PM »
I can see we have ADD again, everybody way off target ...

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2010, 04:23:40 PM »
Those guys were a blast to fly against (and sometimes with) in the EW.

They would try to roll base after base and it only took one or 2 guys to foil them.

Seemed like they had a really good time though. And so did I.

to be honest, when i was in the hired guns, we had a friggin blast fighting them. it seemed that as they evolved though, that when we'd put up serious resistance, they'd go to another base. put up resistance there, they'd attack the other country........that's why we left that arena.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2010, 04:23:52 PM »
It went from

[easy x                                   medium                                       difficult]

To

[easy                                     medium                                      x difficult]

Be careful what you wish for furballing tards.  When the prey die off, the predators go hungry.

Been saying for years. Most furballs start with the attempted landgrab. Problem is. Once the furball starts. The furballers become too lazy to stop the landgrabbers and toolshedders which are still intent on taking the base.

In large part they are creators of their own misery
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »
Been saying for years. Most furballs start with the attempted landgrab. Problem is. Once the furball starts. The furballers become too lazy to stop the landgrabbers and toolshedders which are still intent on taking the base.

In large part they are creators of their own misery

I'm confused.  The "furballers" are miserable or the "can't take the base cause it's too hard" guys are miserable?

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 1DOGFITE

• Copper Member
« Reply #239 on: October 14, 2010, 04:35:11 PM »
<S> Gentlemen,

The only thing I have to say about this is to start organizing more.  Does your squad have color-coded and numbered maps for each sized field, port, and V-base?  If you go into an attack with a half-arsed plan, you can expect it to get chaotic and disorganized real fast.  Plan for casualities on the first wave and what they should bring back if they do go down.  Timing is vital in the capture of a base.  You should practice trying to take the base in the first 15 minutes from the time the first hanger goes down till the time the last troop enters the map room.  Before you even up from your staging base, you should have given a preflight mission briefing so everyone has an assigned target to take down.  As Commanding Officer of the DEVILS=v=BRIGADE (yes, the "v" guys), I have simple procedures that only takes minutes to insure proper coordination in a "Base Take" Attack.

If there is a squad in the Bishop Country that would like to coordinate missions with the DEVILS=v=BRIGADE, please, do not hesitate to contact me.  Also, If there is any "Dweeb" that wants to flame this post, you are not going to get under my skin at all, it will just show your ignorance.

<S> Gentlemen,

vDOGFITE/Group Commander
1st Combat Operations Group
 :devilDEVILS=v=BRIGADE :devil