Author Topic: Top Tips for F2b Crews (Dicta Tusk part 2)  (Read 1151 times)

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
Top Tips for F2b Crews (Dicta Tusk part 2)
« on: October 15, 2010, 09:31:18 AM »
The F2b Bristol Fighter or 'Brisfit' has been provided as an alternative for the growing number of Allied pilots refusing duty in the Sopwith Camel (see previous article 'Top Tips for Camel Drivers') http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,294026.0.html The advantages of the F2b as opposed to the Camel are as follows:

1. The F2b has an observer/rear gunner position. The days of pilots dying alone are finally over.

2. The F2b can dive faster than the Camel, due largely to the extra weight of the observer/gunner. With the wings folded back speeds of over 250mph are possible.

3. In the event of attack from the rear, the gunner has at his disposal a single barrel .303 Lewis machine gun mounted on a Scarff ring. DO NOT fire directly at the enemy - the gun barrel has been specially machined to allow a large 'cone of fire' around but not at the aiming point. This ballistic feature was originally intended to provide the average marksman with a reasonable chance of success against a difficult target,  but a recent ammendment to the aircraft notes recommends that for best results gunners should either shut their eyes and fire blind or else dismount the gun and wait for the enemy to close to within 50 feet, at which point the gun should be tossed overboard.

4. In the event of the F2b being in a position to attack the enemy, it can do so with an element of suprise. The upper wing is cunningly positioned such that as the enemy aircraft is brought close to the kill zone (such as in a tight closing lag pursuit manoeuvre) the pilot's view of the enemy is briefly obscured. When next the enemy aircraft comes into view, his position and direction of flight is generally a suprise.

5. The F2b can sustain alot more damage than a Camel. In fact, it is almost certain that the F2b will sustain alot more damage than a Camel.

Pre-flight considerations:

1. If you intend to fly the F2b alone, practise reaching into the rear cockpit and firing the Lewis gun while applying pressure to one or other of the rudder pedals. This will allow you to bank the aircraft sufficiently such that the enemy aircraft can be fired upon with the Lewis gun. The F2b is at it's best when attacking, however this defensive action might extend your life for several minutes - the great majority of damage from enemy fire (in F2b wreckage) has been found in and around the pilot's cockpit.

2. If you intend to fly accompanied by a gunner, you should take some time in prayer together. Remember to place both sets of dogtags in the fireproof container under the gunner's seat.

3. Familiarise yourself thoroughly with the workings of the single forward firing .303 Vickers gun. It will get little usage, therefore a proper familiarity must be maintained for those rare occassions when an enemy aircraft unexpectedly moves across your field of fire.

4. Perform a thorough 'walk-around' inspection of the aircraft. In particular, be vigilant for signs of wing sagging or too much dihedral - the F2b uses the same mainspar as the Camel, and 'high hours' aircraft (i.e. above 3 hours total flight time) may be concealing serious mainspar fractures.

Flying the F2b:

1. Throughout takeoff pilots should repeatedly chant the following mantra: 'if my tailwheel comes off the ground my propeller stops going around' and apply constant gentle back pressure to the stick until high enough to achieve an incipient stall.

2. Having attained sufficient altitude the pilot can then apply forward pressure to the stick (avoiding the stall) and allow the airspeed to build up (remember to aim at a gap in the trees).

3. When approaching enemy aircraft always maintain a high speed - this is the primary weapon of the F2b. Bear in mind that you can outrun any enemy aircraft (other than the Fokker DVII) but you cannot outrun their bullets. T.O.S.R. (Time to fly Outside Shooting Range) for the F2b against the Dr1 in a tailchase is approximately 45 seconds, or (on average) 125 bullet strikes.  

4. Nevertheless standard combat procedure is to fly through the enemy formation at speed and egress from the combat area post haste. Firing is optional (front and/or rear gun).

5. The F2b can 'mix it up' with the more nimble turnfighters due to a large and powerful rudder. Those pilots wishing to trade altitude and energy in order to turnfight in a large heavy two seater with a single forward firing gun are encouraged to do so, provided the relevant aircraft handover, duty of care (government property) and Form 236e (Financial Obligations - Next of Kin) documents have been signed prior to departure.

6. The F2b operates as a fighting machine most effectively at speed. Most stress accidents (over G) occur at speed. Try not to worry.

7. If you ever need to land an F2b remember it has an inline engine with an excellent progressive throttle. 'Blipping' the engine in the circuit is unnecessary and frightens the pidgeons, which rise up in large numbers and crap on the parked Camels.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:40:05 AM by SCTusk »
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
Re: Top Tips for F2b Crews (Dicta Tusk part 2)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 10:49:08 AM »
 :rofl Priceless
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:17:02 AM by StokesAk »
Strokes

Offline TEXAS20

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:01:11 AM »
4. Nevertheless standard combat procedure is to fly through the enemy formation at speed and egress from the combat area post haste. Firing is optional (front and/or rear gun).

:rofl
The rules are simple:  Don't be a dick.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:07:40 AM »
:aok

Priceless.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 11:40:14 AM »
Outstanding and oh, so accurate!   :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 11:52:14 AM »
  :rofl  :rofl :rofl   great stuff  :aok
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 11:59:46 AM »
I notice that the training manuals were not distributed to Allied pilots prior to this weeks sorties.  Conspiracy much... hmmmm?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 12:48:21 PM »
now something i noticed in this beast, is that if you fly it sorta kinda almost like a pee38, you live a few seconds longer.

on that note......you should've heard me screaming on range last night  " i need flaps dammit!" i think i gave jeager1 a good laugh with that......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »
......you should've heard me screaming on range last night  " i need flaps dammit!" i think i gave jeager1 a good laugh with that......

I did and I laughed right along cause ive been screaming that all week.  I have to remember to use flaps now when i get back in a real plane....  lol
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 02:30:23 PM »
Another classic post Tusk.  :lol

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 03:27:50 PM »
I did and I laughed right along cause ive been screaming that all week.  I have to remember to use flaps now when i get back in a real plane....  lol

ya I wore out my flaps and wep button last week till about Wed... I'm going to stink worse than usual next week... TA time Dicho
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 05:06:16 PM »
ya I wore out my flaps and wep button last week till about Wed... I'm going to stink worse than usual next week... TA time Dicho

nah.....dont need flaps in a spit.....;.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Jonah

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 06:57:27 AM »
Maybe I was not reading closely enough but I didnt see anything about one of my favorite things to do with the F2B.

Rope an enemy at 600 to 400 yards and then turn towards the sun with him on your 6 and then fire the tail gun. This is a garunteed kill or escape, no matter what the situation.

If hes blind, then much better odds
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 06:59:16 AM by Jonah »
In game ID now J3WNAH

Sorry Jonah, you are banned from using this forum!
Three day suspension for blatant forum posting rules violation.

"When the time expires you can talk D----" ~Skuzzy

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 11:42:31 AM »
LOL
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 12:39:04 PM »
Maybe I was not reading closely enough but I didnt see anything about one of my favorite things to do with the F2B.

Rope an enemy at 600 to 400 yards and then turn towards the sun with him on your 6 and then fire the tail gun. This is a garunteed kill or escape, no matter what the situation.

If hes blind, then much better odds

The guys that were flying Luftwaffe cloth last week would have giggled and scored another.  Trust me on this one..