Author Topic: A6M5 help  (Read 1999 times)

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
A6M5 help
« on: October 16, 2010, 12:34:13 PM »
Hi all,

I am looking for some help on the A6M5.  The A6M5 has been my ride of choice since before the "Confirmed Kill" days.  I recently came back after a two year break from AH.  I have found that my consistent k/d of 3v1 or 4v1 has dropped to barely a 1v1.  I expected to be rusty, but have found a significant change in the MA.  Prior to AHII, my only T&B concerns were other Zero's or Hurricanes.  Anything else that made more than a 1/2 turn against my Zero was not going to last long.  B&Z versus T&B were the rules to work with and seemed historically correct.

Since my return I have been surprised by F4U's reversing on me with little separation and even being caught in prolonged flat turns with Spits or LA-7s.  It seems flaps are being used much more commonly now.  My gunnery has deteriorated (to be expected), but I am finding my Zero put back into kit form on shots that I judged to be outside of deflection capability.  I also noticed that almost all the aircraft have new cockpit's except the Zero.  Did the Zero get left behind on FM and gunnery?

I am hoping that the fault lies with me so that I can fix the problems through practice.  I would appreciate any insight or tips to bring this old veteran back into fighting trim with the A6M5.  :joystick:

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
Re: A6M5 help
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 01:24:14 PM »
Well I can't speak to the differences being a comparative newbie to the game, but I can share some of my own insight.

Nowadays hog pilots are throwing out flaps and getting much better at turns.  La pilots are also doing the same, either that or using a kind  of lag turn strategy with the zekes.  In my own experience I can use lag-turns and high yo-yo's to defeat zekes with both the La7 and the FW A8. In a hog I will try no more than a half turn on a zeke before I try to extend out and come back in.

I think that pilots in general kind of know that getting into a turnfight with a zero is just plain dumb, so you will not find as many people willing to chase a zero into a tight turn.  When zekes do kill me it's because I get caught chasing another target or if I try to climb out off the deck. I think to be more successful you will need to adopt tactics that exploit more than the zero's turning ability.  It's still a dangerous opponent, but you will probably want to change your tactics a little.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 01:25:52 PM by Muzzy »

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 04:50:30 PM »
Hi all,

I am looking for some help on the A6M5.  The A6M5 has been my ride of choice since before the "Confirmed Kill" days.  I recently came back after a two year break from AH.  I have found that my consistent k/d of 3v1 or 4v1 has dropped to barely a 1v1.  I expected to be rusty, but have found a significant change in the MA.  Prior to AHII, my only T&B concerns were other Zero's or Hurricanes.  Anything else that made more than a 1/2 turn against my Zero was not going to last long.  B&Z versus T&B were the rules to work with and seemed historically correct.

Since my return I have been surprised by F4U's reversing on me with little separation and even being caught in prolonged flat turns with Spits or LA-7s.  It seems flaps are being used much more commonly now.  My gunnery has deteriorated (to be expected), but I am finding my Zero put back into kit form on shots that I judged to be outside of deflection capability.  I also noticed that almost all the aircraft have new cockpit's except the Zero.  Did the Zero get left behind on FM and gunnery?

I am hoping that the fault lies with me so that I can fix the problems through practice.  I would appreciate any insight or tips to bring this old veteran back into fighting trim with the A6M5.  :joystick:

TShark

the concern with the f4u's.........

they may be lead turning you, and being rusty, you're missing it. they do however turn very well. in that concern, get with bigrat in the ta. he's a trainer there, and is kickass in the corsairs.

i've never fought la's in a zeek, but have not really had any problems with spits, unless they "extend"(run away), and then turn back when i show my tail.
 i had a problem with a guy in an f4f, but that was my own fault, as i let him take the fight downhill, killing any advantage i may have had.

i can't think of much else to offer........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 07:57:28 PM »
I'd be more concerned about a Brewster or an I-16 with a bit of alt advantage than most other birds in A6m.

Granted the F4u series can do one very fast wicked turn, but sustained the A6m should walk around on it.
Also remember to keep it into the vertical, once the F4u blow's its energy the one thing it doesn't do well is go up.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 08:38:13 PM »
Its probably just rust, although in a late war setup the zero doesn't really cut it effectively unless its used in the parasite role  :bolt:

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 11:42:09 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I spent several hours online yesterday and definitely noticed that there is a change of tactics in the MA.  More players are going for the "one turn" kill.  Instead of conserving E, they dump a lot of it for a quick turn. 

For instance I fought against a 109K4 where upon initial merge the K4 dove under me slightly with a lot of E.  I expected him to pull up back to his perch then come back around.  I started to perform an immelman with the idea of maintaining some E for the next slashing attack (so no flaps at top).  While vertical I observed the 109 blow almost all his E by dropping flaps and beating me over the top.  He got guns on me first and took me out.  Plain and simple his tactics took me by surprise and I saluted him for an excellent fight.  F4U's seem to be using the same tactic (although in more of a high yo-yo) and I think with some practice this will play nicely into the Zero's T&B arena.

So like any good Kung-fu movie it is time to do some intensive training and then kick some butt!   :devil

TShark

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 04:47:53 AM »
There haven't been any FM or gunnery changes. It's normal to need a few weeks to get back up to speed after a layoff.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 09:03:52 AM »
Plus, as has been mentioned in other threads, a lot of the better pilots are flying the K4 right now.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 10:08:58 AM »
Plus, as has been mentioned in other threads, a lot of the better pilots are flying the K4 right now.

the better pilots always fly the k4..............im just hoping that one of these days they would leave something more than leaky diaper stains on the seat after they get out of it and let me use it!!!!!!!
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 08:58:25 PM »
well im a good A6M pilot and i can tell you one thing-never try to intercept a f4u, when he comes at you go into the verticle for one second come back down and do a HO (thats the tactic that works for me) :joystick:

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 10:06:31 PM »
well im a good A6M pilot and i can tell you one thing-never try to intercept a f4u, when he comes at you go into the verticle for one second come back down and do a HO (thats the tactic that works for me) :joystick:

:rofl And just what are you going to do when the superior F4U pilot denies your HO? Run away?
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 10:07:33 PM »
:rofl And just what are you going to do when the superior F4U pilot denies your HO? Run away?
as i said that is the tactic that works for ME...

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 10:51:39 PM »
don't try to ho anything in a zeek........
'A) bad maneuver to begin with.....puts you at disadvantage.
B) pretty much everything outguns you, and should they return fire, you're done,.

be patient, and lure them into your fight. soonz you get em turning low n slow, they/re done.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 10:47:14 AM »
HOing in a Zeke is beyond lunacy!

TShark, bear with it. The A6M5b is still one of the LW arena's Kill Monsters in the right hands! Many will look upon you as fodder as you fly into superior numbers but once you start tearing part off their planes watch them run!

Yes, the FM is woefully out of date. I believe our Zeke to be the oldest, most neglected ride in the game. This doesn't hold back teh awesome though!

In your OP I see you mention guns, I see you mention flaps but I don't see you mention the most important thing, throttle control.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
HOing in a Zeke is beyond lunacy!

TShark, bear with it. The A6M5b is still one of the LW arena's Kill Monsters in the right hands! Many will look upon you as fodder as you fly into superior numbers but once you start tearing part off their planes watch them run!

Yes, the FM is woefully out of date. I believe our Zeke to be the oldest, most neglected ride in the game. This doesn't hold back teh awesome though!

In your OP I see you mention guns, I see you mention flaps but I don't see you mention the most important thing, throttle control.

i think throttle control in the zeek is much more important than even in the pee38.

the zeek, while not a fast airplane, will overspeed rather quickly, with the nose down. once she's fast, she doesn't like to turn all that well.

i only mention this, as i flew the 5b the other night in ava(for the first time in over a year), and overspeeded her a number of times.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"